BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-09-2021, 12:19 AM   #67
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_fcuk View Post
Did anyone take notice of her funny looking banana tramp stamp on her wrist? or was it just me....lol
I have to compliment you for the fact that you were able to just focus on her wrist.

Thinking about it though, maybe not since it's not a banana but a moon.
Gone: 2020 X7 M50i, Mineral White, Ivory White Full Merino, Piano Black Trim, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driving Assistance, Luxury Seating, Executive, 22" Y-Spoke Orbit Grey Wheels Style 758i, Space Saver Spare, Trailer Hitch, Leather Dash, Ambient Air, Bowers & Wilkins, Rear Entertainment, Night Vision, Extended Shadowline, Alcantara Headliner in Upholstery Color.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 01:15 PM   #68
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
I didn't check the latency of the CarKey yet. But, not that long with the NFC keycard for sure. I find that positioning is important (on the top-middle part of the handle). It should also work if you put the card behind the door handle (between the handle and the door, door-cups).

Thanks. Putting the phone in the top middle definitely helped
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 12:55 AM   #69
juhcobywankenobi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
This is when it's going to be such a convenient option:

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/01/13...ltra-wideband/

I really enjoy just having my key in my pocket; walk toward the car it unlocks, walk away it locks. Digital key from the phone looks like it will do the same in the future.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 06:58 AM   #70
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
I didn't check the latency of the CarKey yet. But, not that long with the NFC keycard for sure. I find that positioning is important (on the top-middle part of the handle). It should also work if you put the card behind the door handle (between the handle and the door, door-cups).

Thanks. Putting the phone in the top middle definitely helped
I found this picture on the owners manual, it appears the exact sensor position slightly towards the right (not middle). I'll edit my earlier post.
Attached Images

01-15-2021, 04:31 AM   #71
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

BMW just announced the Digital Key plus. This should eliminate the need to get the phone out of your pocket!

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/14/2...ultra-wideband

Anyone got an idea when this would come to G05's?

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 04:49 AM   #72
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

How does this differ from what Tesla offers using Bluetooth.

To be honest though I haven't carried a key since we got the Y recently.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 05:37 AM   #73
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPuitG View Post
Anyone got an idea when this would come to G05's?
Current G05s doesn't have UWB receiver chip with antenna, don't know if NFC receiver could be used as a substitute, highly unlikely IMO. If future G05 add the hardware then there might be possibilities for retrofitting with coding 🤷.

Apple air tag also looks interesting and has the potential to become a good candidate for key fobs.

Here is an awesome write up on UWB, BLE, and NFC:

https://www.electronicdesign.com/mar...-keyless-entry
      01-15-2021, 08:17 AM   #74
MikeElmendorf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5/2021 M550

I have it on my 2021 M550 and don't find it terribly useful. It is also not reliable in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 11:12 AM   #75
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 21'' X6MC (F96)

Just activated that on my car.

Albeit slightly inconvenient to have to take the phone, open it on the BMW card wallet app of the iPhone to unlock the car, I find the feature really helpful.

However, am I right to assume that we *have* to repeat this action to actually close the car ? If so, I find this to be very inconvenient unlike the regular car key feature where the car locks as we walk away.

Also, I couldn't get my car's engine started without the phone being on the charger mat. Is this an absolute must every time or has anyone been able to turn the engine on keep the phone in the hand ?

Lastly, is the feature working the exact same way with the BMW card ?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 11:26 AM   #76
DwainA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consuldean View Post
Just activated that on my car.

Albeit slightly inconvenient to have to take the phone, open it on the BMW card wallet app of the iPhone to unlock the car, I find the feature really helpful.

However, am I right to assume that we *have* to repeat this action to actually close the car ? If so, I find this to be very inconvenient unlike the regular car key feature where the car locks as we walk away.

Also, I couldn't get my car's engine started without the phone being on the charger mat. Is this an absolute must every time or has anyone been able to turn the engine on keep the phone in the hand ?

Lastly, is the feature working the exact same way with the BMW card ?

Yes to all three of your questions:
1 - same procedure to lock car. You can't just walk away. It MIGHT timeout and lock. I haven't tried that.
2 - phone has to be on charger to start the car
3- NFC card works the same way.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 12:05 PM   #77
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consuldean View Post

You don't need to open the wallet app. Just take the phone out of your pocket and hold it up to the door handle. No need to actually open the phone.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 12:48 PM   #78
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

Seems more inconvenient than the current Comfort Access walk up/walk away feature. I mean, yes you have to carry the key, but you don't have to actually do anything.

It's the closest to the convenience of a Tesla. Except Tesla actually updates the software so you can do things such as select locations where you don't want it to work (like Home). From a Tesla owner's point of view, it still feels very half baked.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 02:43 PM   #79
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post
You don't need to open the wallet app. Just take the phone out of your pocket and hold it up to the door handle. No need to actually open the phone.
That’s an option, you can, for security reasons, have it set to unlock phone prior to opening/starting vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 05:37 PM   #80
Eugene M Stoner
Rep

I recently purchased a '21 X5 with a 6/2020 production date. This thread was extremely useful to me while trying to get Digital Key going. I'd like to know if anyone with DK1.0 is using a Samsung S20 or S21? Apple is a bit more convenient for me but I'm fine with Android devices. Has anyone been able to renew Digital Key Classic recently? I don't want to switch if the feature is going away.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 10:48 PM   #81
Talkstr8t
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S, Audi Q5

Assuming you've got the same electronics as my '21, Digital Key is now Apple only. The closest thing you can do is put your key card into your phone case (though doing so will likely block NFC from working well, since the key card has an RFID chip in it which will interfere with the RFID in your phone when using it for Google Pay or similar).

- Talk
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 12:28 AM   #82
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

This also works with the Apple Watch (as that supports the native Wallet app, of course) - it all seems good except starting the car.

You have to have the watch on the charging mat, which would be good except the charging mat location is a pain in general (especially if you have bottles/cups in the holders there).

Why couldn't they have allowed this to work on the side of the steering column where you hold up a normal key for programming (there's a key symbol there)?
Appreciate 1
TSMC55126.50
      04-16-2021, 03:34 AM   #83
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2020 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
This also works with the Apple Watch (as that supports the native Wallet app, of course) - it all seems good except starting the car.

You have to have the watch on the charging mat, which would be good except the charging mat location is a pain in general (especially if you have bottles/cups in the holders there).

Why couldn't they have allowed this to work on the side of the steering column where you hold up a normal key for programming (there's a key symbol there)?
I am really keen on the Apple digital key for 2 reasons
1. You can send a replacement key OTA in an emergency for a key fob lost, stolen or submerged in water
2. As a main key holder you can issue a key with restrictions which is an excellent idea if you have young inexperienced drivers in the family. This is clearly laid out by BMW in one of their official YouTube videos
BTW I use my key card all the time I have it wedged between my phone and phone cover
Attached Images

04-16-2021, 08:23 AM   #84
Eugene M Stoner
Rep

Unfortunately my car doesn't support the Apple version. It was built a month before They switched to Apple. I like the card in the phone case as a work around. I'd still consider switching to a Samsung except BMW doesn't list any of the current Samsung models as supported and I saw some post earlier that BMW isn't renewing Digital Key Classic (Samsung). The card still frees up valuable space in my jersey pockets and keeps my key fob safe when I'm on the river.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 01:35 PM   #85
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambazonke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post

I am really keen on the Apple digital key for 2 reasons
1. You can send a replacement key OTA in an emergency for a key fob lost, stolen or submerged in water
2. As a main key holder you can issue a key with restrictions which is an excellent idea if you have young inexperienced drivers in the family. This is clearly laid out by BMW in one of their official YouTube videos
BTW I use my key card all the time I have it wedged between my phone and phone cover
Agree, I love the DK and use it a fair bit. Pity the watch but isn't as good as I'd like and of course UWB support needs new hardware
Appreciate 1
SE12313.00
      04-19-2021, 10:53 AM   #86
moholland
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi... hopefully...

I've been able to setup my iPhone and Apple Watch to open and start our 45e but it chooses a GUEST profile, instead of my profile. And if I try to select my profile, I have to login into my BMW account with my password. Not terribly convenient. Is there a way to connect the iPhone/Watch to my profile? I've searched through the forum but haven't seen mention of it being an issue. Maybe I setup incorrectly? I've deleted the iPhone/Watch and tried adding them again but same result.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 11:31 AM   #87
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moholland View Post
I've been able to setup my iPhone and Apple Watch to open and start our 45e but it chooses a GUEST profile, instead of my profile. And if I try to select my profile, I have to login into my BMW account with my password. Not terribly convenient. Is there a way to connect the iPhone/Watch to my profile? I've searched through the forum but haven't seen mention of it being an issue. Maybe I setup incorrectly? I've deleted the iPhone/Watch and tried adding them again but same result.
I did something like adding a 4-digit PIN to my profile, so I have to then select my profile and type my PIN so it knows it's me.

One question - do you have to take off your watch and put it in the wireless charging tray to start the car or can you place the wrist/watch somewhere else (steering column)?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 11:45 AM   #88
moholland
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi... hopefully...

Genius at dealer just told me that there is a way to assign the iPhone to a profile… “ When you are in the car with your phone digital key, go to Car > Driver Profiles. Once you are logged into your profile select the Driver Recognition tab. Look for the tab that says "Recognition with digital key" and check off that box. From then on you should be automatically signed into your profile when you use your phone as a key. “

I’ll check later today.

As for starting with watch, it isn’t ideal… I loosen the band so it is slips down to my hand, without losing contact and then I press it as close as possible to the tray. Another contact point near the shifter or steering wheel would be awesome. Maybe in the 2025 X5.
Appreciate 0