BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-19-2021, 11:46 AM   #89
Cuzih8u
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Nobody has figured out any ways yet to upgrade from DK1.0 to 2.0 to get iPhone compatibility?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 07:37 AM   #90
viper2608
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzih8u View Post
Nobody has figured out any ways yet to upgrade from DK1.0 to 2.0 to get iPhone compatibility?
My understanding is that BMW might think on managing the upgrade after the end of current Android support around October this year for existing customer.

My car was build a month before the official upgrade to DK2.0

I am chasing on a regular basis my dealer to get his input and pushing him to keep asking about this.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2021, 10:01 AM   #91
Grumpy311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 328i

Has anyone found a practical way to use DK when also using a credit card case on their iPhone? I don't like putting my credit card case on the wireless charger. First of all it doesn't charge through the cards, and I'm afraid I'm gonna wipe my cards eventually.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 10:15 AM   #92
Eugene M Stoner
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy311 View Post
Has anyone found a practical way to use DK when also using a credit card case on their iPhone? I don't like putting my credit card case on the wireless charger. First of all it doesn't charge through the cards, and I'm afraid I'm gonna wipe my cards eventually.
^^This is my concern. My number one use case for this feature is cycling. I don't want to get back to the car after a long ride with temperatures rising only to find I wiped my key. I'd order a Samsung today if I had confirmation that people are using newer models like the S21 series. Of course there are those post from people saying BMW isn't renewing their Digital Key Classic option which means the S21 is an 11 month solution for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 03:22 PM   #93
Ross_
Private
Rep
Drives: G21 Touring

So my June 2020 with Digital Key 1.0 has now expired and unable to renew.. I really hope they release software to upgrade everyone to 1.5 being an Apple user…. Guess it’s really unlikely but can always hope.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 02:17 AM   #94
finn123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: -

IMO, that’s a so stupid system. I have it configured, but never used. Comfort access with “approaching” feature is way better than constantly taking off your iPhone to unlock or lock the car.

I’d recommend just to forget about this.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 07:09 AM   #95
Urban
Rep
Drives: X6 30d G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00lb0y11 View Post
IMO, that’s a so stupid system. I have it configured, but never used. Comfort access with “approaching” feature is way better than constantly taking off your iPhone to unlock or lock the car.

I do not think so. This is convenient if you forgot the key.
Appreciate 3
volodp196.50
      05-27-2021, 12:17 PM   #96
Eugene M Stoner
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Coincidentally I go this email from BMW today I have use cases for the feature 2-3 times a week. Not a major issue; however, I'm glad I didn't buy an S21 with this feature with the intention of using DK.

Dear Mr. Stoner,

Based on our records, you are currently or had at one time subscribed to the Digital Key Classic (formerly known as “Digital Key”) service on your 2021 X5, VIN ending in XXYY, enabling the use of a compatible Android Smartphone or the credit-card-sized Digital Key card as a digital key for your vehicle.

We are writing to notify you that as of July 1, 2021, compatible Android Smartphones will no longer be usable as a digital key for vehicles equipped with Digital Key Classic.

Please note that you can continue to enjoy the convenience of the Digital KeyCard, since the Digital KeyCard has the exact same features as its phone counterpart.
We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Should you have further questions, please contact BMW Customer Relations at 1-800-831-1117.

Sincerely,
BMW ConnectedDrive
Appreciate 1
robby818265.00
      05-27-2021, 02:03 PM   #97
evodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5, 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00lb0y11 View Post

DK has actually been very useful for me. Sometimes I walk out to the car and forget to grab the key from my backpack(home or office situations) but the Apple Watch is always on me to unlock it so I can grab something trivial from the car
Appreciate 3
Urban8.00
      05-28-2021, 02:51 PM   #98
finn123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by evodz View Post
DK has actually been very useful for me. Sometimes I walk out to the car and forget to grab the key from my backpack(home or office situations) but the Apple Watch is always on me to unlock it so I can grab something trivial from the car
That’s the only case that I found opening the car with digital key useful… but you can do the same with…mybmw app. Of course, you can’t drive, but I wouldn’t regret if this feature was missing.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 09:45 AM   #99
Urban
Rep
Drives: X6 30d G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
I've seen a lot of speculation and misinformation on BMW Digital Key (DK) 1.5. Hopefully, this post will help clear some of the mist.

Digital Key
DK is the technology used on the device. There are 2 versions:
1.0 - current version supported on Android devices and NFC card
1.5 - new version which supports the NFC card AND Apple Products ONLY

DK 1.5 can only be enabled on supported iOS devices with version 13.6 and later. The latest BMW Connected Drive app is required. The CD account and associated car MUST be enabled for DK1.5 in the cloud service. This is done automatically at the back-end, not by dealers, presumably based on the cars VO build version.

If DK1.5 is enabled for a CD account, then the DK option will appear in the app.

Smart Access
The car itself has what's called Smart Access (SA). Again, two versions - 1.0 and 1.5, which align protocol-wise with the DK.

SA 1.0 is enabled on all applicable models equipped with Comfort Access, except where Smart Access 1.5 is used.

SA 1.5 is enabled on all applicable models equipped with Comfort Access AND i-step 07/2020.25 and later AND the Vehicle Order (VO) build version in FA is July 2020 or later.

If SA 1.0 is enabled on the car, then the idrive settings will display a menu called 'Activate Key'
If SA 1.5 is enabled on the car, then the idrive settings will display a menu called 'Activate Main Key'. See attached pics of the menu

To use the new BMW Digital Key Service you need BOTH SA 1.5 AND DK 1.5

So, what does this mean for owners with DK supported cars with a build version earlier than 07/2020? Will BMW retrofit?
Not currently! As mentioned above, Android devices do not support Smart Access 1.5. If BMW were to retrofit this to existing models then it would break all Android devices DK support.

What can BMW do to address this issue?
1. Just roll it out, break the Android service and refund the customers
2. Wait until all the Android subs expire and then roll it out
3. Google update the Android Car Key support to include the new DK 1.5 format/standard
4. Address each customer on an adhoc basis - nightmare as it would require different coding for each car. Apple need SA 1.5, Android users 1.0.
5. Leave as is. No retrofit. New customers get DK/SA 1.5 and support is for Apple Products only.

Happy to refine this position as new information becomes available but the current message being delivered by BMW dealers is often plain wrong! A video has been referenced on these forums that was completely wrong, and has since been removed.

I'm not claiming to have all the answers, but hopefully this post will have clarified a few points.

Note: its probable that X series owners will not get the new service unless they have a 08/2020 production vehicle. Others 'should' get it if they have a 07/2020 vehicle.
Google announced a carkey support in the Android 12… perhaps BMW will update SA 1.0 to 1.5 after it.

Does SA 1.5 require some hardware changes or just software update?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 10:44 AM   #100
viper2608
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban View Post
Google announced a carkey support in the Android 12… perhaps BMW will update SA 1.0 to 1.5 after it.

Does SA 1.5 require some hardware changes or just software update?
Based on my understanding and the input from BMW that I have :
Software update only and the registration within the bmw autorized vehicule of the VIN
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 11:36 AM   #101
MarcFinns
Rep
Drives: X5 45e M

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper2608 View Post
Based on my understanding and the input from BMW that I have :
Software update only and the registration within the bmw autorized vehicule of the VIN
Is this confirmed? My dealer is totally clueless / useless.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 04:24 PM   #102
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
CCC Digital Key Release 3.0 specification has been finalized and now available to CCC members:

https://carconnectivity.org/press-re...y-release-3-0/
      09-22-2021, 02:01 PM   #103
thecrow
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M Sport

Based on the information provided and the videos I've watched, if you make the MyBMW app think that digital key is enabled for your car, then the setup is pretty much done offline between your phone and the car.

That being said I'll try to proxy the MyBMW app and once it sends the request to register the vehicle I might be able to tweak the response from CD and make the app think that digital key 1.5 is enabled. If there is such information in the response from CD then it's likely that it would work.

I'll try it in the next couple of days and feedback.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 05:51 PM   #104
Axxlrod
Dude man
Rep
Drives: X5/X7/Acura NSX

Picked up my '22 M50i two weeks ago. It was a week 33 build. It came with the digital key card which I found in the driver side sun visor.

I followed the instructions ti activate the key card via idrive. However, it tells me to place the card on the wireless charging spot. I did that and nothing happened.

I know my car was not equipped with wireless charging due to the chip shortage, but does that mean I don't have the key card option either?

And if that is the case, why did BMW ship me the key card?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 06:13 PM   #105
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Picked up my '22 M50i two weeks ago. It was a week 33 build. It came with the digital key card which I found in the driver side sun visor.

I followed the instructions ti activate the key card via idrive. However, it tells me to place the card on the wireless charging spot. I did that and nothing happened.

I know my car was not equipped with wireless charging due to the chip shortage, but does that mean I don't have the key card option either?

From what I’ve read there is supposed to be an NFC sensor there. They probably just neglected to update the instructions.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 06:29 PM   #106
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczrool View Post
From what I’ve read there is supposed to be an NFC sensor there. They probably just neglected to update the instructions.
despite all MY22 not including wireless charging, it appears some have retained NFC capability (digital key card included) but others did not (digital key card not included) for reasons unknown at this time. if your vehicle came with the digital key card, then you should have this capability; highly doubtful it was included if the vehicle wasn't configured for it.

Axxlrod while you were setting up the digital key card, do you recall seeing the 'Digital Key' (iPhone) option? if so, you should have NFC and therefore, the digital key card option. further, do you see 'BMW Digital Key' on the home page of the MyBMW app? if so, you should have NFC.

did you follow the setup instructions verbatim? both key fobs have to be inside the vehicle while setting up both Digital Key (iPhone) and digital key card.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 07:26 PM   #107
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Axxlrod If activated you should be able to start the car using the digital key and you should be able to unlock the car by touching it to the exterior door handle. I do recall completing the activation took a few tries
      09-22-2021, 08:54 PM   #108
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Important Note:
• To setup the digital key the vehicle must be in auxiliary mode (the engine cannot be running).
• Press the start button without depressing the brake pedal. This turns on auxiliary mode.
• Both key fobs must be with you inside the vehicle while you do the digital key setup.
Axxlrod164.00
      09-22-2021, 11:14 PM   #109
Axxlrod
Dude man
Rep
Drives: X5/X7/Acura NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
Important Note:
• To setup the digital key the vehicle must be in auxiliary mode (the engine cannot be running).
• Press the start button without depressing the brake pedal. This turns on auxiliary mode.
• Both key fobs must be with you inside the vehicle while you do the digital key setup.
Well sheesh. I didn't know all those criteria had to be met.

When I tried to connect the card, the engine was running and only one fob was inside the car.

I'll try it again with both of those items in check.

Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2021, 10:14 AM   #110
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

Has it been determined whether 22s or earlier will have UWB capability for the contactless digital key?
Appreciate 0