05-15-2021, 08:30 AM   #45
hdahman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pringle View Post
The main reason for me buying it is the original dash plate seems to have felt sticking out, which really bothered me. This one is a lot better, plus I'm going to modify the sound system ✊🏻
So you fitted B&W covers instead of HK , though how did you add the lights in speakers?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 09:25 AM   #46
threebabies
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5

If you're going to go full custom audio, i'd consider checking out my post:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1786089

There are a few things to consider:

1. The door speakers are rated at 4" but require a BMW specific mounting ring. You can get away with throwing speakers in there but might have to rig it with a couple washers to secure it with two screws instead of the three that they take.

2. The front drivers side speaker is the only one that you can snake a wire through the wiring loom into the cabin. The other speakers don't have this. What that means is, if you're running new wires (recommended for higher wattage), you'll have to run the wires through the A-pillar trim on the rear doors or front trim on the passenger side.

3. Figure out an amp rack for the spare tire bay first. There's limited space in there and having 3 amps in the back of mine was an afterthought I finally secured. I plan on taking the car in to get the amp rack professionally done when I get around to it.

4. Make sure you have the appropriate hardware to mount the grounding and power wires to the battery and remote-on. There are a few good spots in the underside but hardware is key.

*Edit - Changed amp number
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 10:11 AM   #47
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by otommytruongo View Post
Just for the whole kit today from aliaexpress. Quality of these cover are very good. I have a few questions to ask to help with my install if u don't mind helping me?. Also. To replace the silver speaker wire. D i use the original screws from the factory or i need to buy addition screw to mount the silver cover on?. Also it came with 4 different connector wire. Can you show me which wire connector to use and goes where? Thank a lot
Sorry, just saw your comment. For the installation of the silver cover, you have been provided with plenty of screws, use those to attach them to the door cover. Unplug one of the plugs that lights up the LEDs, and plug the one you got with the kit in series. I would suggest taking your time installing those covers.
Name:  IMG_0759.jpg
Views: 1519
Size:  195.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 10:13 AM   #48
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The main reason for me buying it is the original dash plate seems to have felt sticking out, which really bothered me. This one is a lot better, plus I'm going to modify the sound system ✊🏻
Looks great, nicely done.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 12:21 PM   #49
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 x40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus2002 View Post
Let me know if you have any other question.
Great work, happy to see you get it sorted the way you like it. You mentioned in an earlier post you replaced HiFi speakers. Did you have the base X5 HiFi and if so what's the process to replace the amplifier? I have a local shop that is telling me it's not a problem but I've read otherwise on a number of threads.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 02:28 PM   #50
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoAtHome View Post
Great work, happy to see you get it sorted the way you like it. You mentioned in an earlier post you replaced HiFi speakers. Did you have the base X5 HiFi and if so what's the process to replace the amplifier? I have a local shop that is telling me it's not a problem but I've read otherwise on a number of threads.
Thanks man. Yes, I have the base HiFi. What I did was connecting an 8 channel amplifier between the output signal of RAM Module to the speakers. At this point, there is no replacement for the RAM module.
Here is what I have:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1795545

I also connected a sub woofer to the 8th output channel of added JBL amplifier, and that little sub made the music sound great, I am very happy with the whole upgrade.
Name:  IMG_1029.jpg
Views: 1479
Size:  569.9 KB

Last edited by Maximus2002; 05-16-2021 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 10:07 PM   #51
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 x40i M Sport

Quote:
Thanks man. Yes, I have the base HiFi. What I did was connecting an 8 channel amplifier to the output signal of RAM Module to the speakers. At this point, there is no replacement for the RAM module.
Here is what I have:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1795545

I also connected a sub woofer to the 8th output channel of added JBL amplifier, and that little sub made the music sound great, I am very happy with the whole upgrade.
Attachment 2604608
Got it, Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 07:40 AM   #52
otommytruongo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 g05

Quote:
Sorry, just saw your comment. For the installation of the silver cover, you have been provided with plenty of screws, use those to attach them to the door cover. Unplug one of the plugs that lights up the LEDs, and plug the one you got with the kit in series. I would suggest taking your time installing those covers.
Attachment 2604434
Thanka for replying. Sadly the place i bought from forgot to send me the screw with the package. Thats why i want to know if u remember what size and how long were those screws so i can run to homedepot to get them.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 12:53 PM   #53
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanka for replying. Sadly the place i bought from forgot to send me the screw with the package. Thats why i want to know if u remember what size and how long were those screws so i can run to homedepot to get them.
Here is a picture of the screw that I got with the kit. The screws came with small washers as well. Good luck
Name:  IMG_1030.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  169.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 01:02 PM   #54
otommytruongo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Here is a picture of the screw that I got with the kit. The screws came with small washers as well. Good luck
Attachment 2605316
thanks for the respond and the picture. very helpful of you. do you recall the hole to screw the cover on already prethreaded? or its just a blank hole and you just tap the screw in? because i want to take the cover with me to the store to test out which screw fit perfectly in there. i want to be careful with this project. thanks.. and by the way did you install the middle speaker cover on the dash yet? was it hard to remove the dash trim to connect the light plug in?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 01:12 PM   #55
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the respond and the picture. very helpful of you. do you recall the hole to screw the cover on already prethreaded? or its just a blank hole and you just tap the screw in? because i want to take the cover with me to the store to test out which screw fit perfectly in there. i want to be careful with this project. thanks.. and by the way did you install the middle speaker cover on the dash yet? was it hard to remove the dash trim to connect the light plug in?
My pleasure. The covers have blank unthreaded holes, so probably it is a one shot insert. For sure I would suggest to be extra careful with the whole effort.
I have not replaced the center cover yet, but have removed it twice. Use plastic trim removals to lift one corner, and go from there. I replaced both the center channel speaker and the tweeter.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 01:25 PM   #56
otommytruongo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My pleasure. The covers have blank unthreaded holes, so probably it is a one shot insert. For sure I would suggest to be extra careful with the whole effort.
I have not replaced the center cover yet, but have removed it twice. Use plastic trim removals to lift one corner, and go from there. I replaced both the center channel speaker and the tweeter.
yea the center cover is easy to pop off, but in order for you to connect the plug in to have it light up, look like we need to remove the dash trim where the little screen that show the cabin air tempature.to get to the ambien plug that connect to the dash trim. it look like a lot of work so i just pop on the cover for now and have not plug it in.

did the place you bought from give you instructiton or give you any video instruction for this project? . if they do can u share to my email? the place i got it from gave me a shittty video of installattion thats why im all confused. and it was all in chinese . cant understand it. thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 03:14 PM   #57
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
yea the center cover is easy to pop off, but in order for you to connect the plug in to have it light up, look like we need to remove the dash trim where the little screen that show the cabin air tempature.to get to the ambien plug that connect to the dash trim. it look like a lot of work so i just pop on the cover for now and have not plug it in.

did the place you bought from give you instructiton or give you any video instruction for this project? . if they do can u share to my email? the place i got it from gave me a shittty video of installattion thats why im all confused. and it was all in chinese . cant understand it. thanks
That for sure would be challenging to find a connector to plug in the center cover light. I would be fine leaving it unplugged.
I did not get any instruction how to do the job. I had to figure it out all by myself. My advise would be start with one of the back door panels, that way it would be less effective if you miss something. Remember that all the door ambient lights are getting powered in series. I have previously mentioned what parts you would need to remove.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 03:33 PM   #58
otommytruongo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That for sure would be challenging to find a connector to plug in the center cover light. I would be fine leaving it unplugged.
I did not get any instruction how to do the job. I had to figure it out all by myself. My advise would be start with one of the back door panels, that way it would be less effective if you miss something. Remember that all the door ambient lights are getting powered in series. I have previously mentioned what parts you would need to remove.
im trying to look back the post of which part i need to remove but couldnt find. can you quote me on the post ? thanks. imma start with the back first like you said.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 04:22 PM   #59
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
im trying to look back the post of which part i need to remove but couldnt find. can you quote me on the post ? thanks. imma start with the back first like you said.
Once you have the door panel removed, those two red marked parts (post number 32) need to be uninstalled from inside of the panel. Good luck

Last edited by Maximus2002; 05-16-2021 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 10:55 AM   #60
otommytruongo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Once you have the door panel removed, those two red marked parts (post number 32) need to be uninstalled from inside of the panel. Good luck
got it. thanks for ur inputt.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 12:14 PM   #61
otommytruongo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
do you remember which led plug from the door panel that you unplug and bridge it with the wire connector that came with the kit? is it the plug that light up the middle led strip? or the plug from the door pocket led ? and you said be careful not to press hard on the door plug, is there a reason ? thanks for the tip, i just installed the middle speaker cover and bridge it with the center dash led strip plug, work great, it was easier than i thought.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 10:14 AM   #62
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
do you remember which led plug from the door panel that you unplug and bridge it with the wire connector that came with the kit? is it the plug that light up the middle led strip? or the plug from the door pocket led ? and you said be careful not to press hard on the door plug, is there a reason ? thanks for the tip, i just installed the middle speaker cover and bridge it with the center dash led strip plug, work great, it was easier than i thought.
I used the plug which you could see in post #32.
I am glad you did it, now show us a few pictures of those covers
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 11:53 AM   #63
otommytruongo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I used the plug which you could see in post #32.
I am glad you did it, now show us a few pictures of those covers
Hey guys. Did you have a problem with partial of the ambient light turn off after u get in your car for 5 minutes after inatalling these led cover speaker?. I only done 2 rear back dooor so far. The first day i imstalled the rear cover led everything light up. But after i installed the rear driver side door led speaker cover. Both of the left side front and rear driver side door all the led would shut off along with the middle console led strip after 5 minutes. The dash led and passenger side front and back door led strip are on still. Any suggestion?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 11:55 AM   #64
otommytruongo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Great job thanks for sharing! Was it simple to take the cover off the tweeter casing? Just a few screws?
Hey guys. Did you have a problem with partial of the ambient light turn off after u get in your car for 5 minutes after inatalling these led cover speaker?. I only done 2 rear back dooor so far. The first day i imstalled the rear cover led everything light up. But after i installed the rear driver side door led speaker cover. Both of the left side front and rear driver side door all the led would shut off along with the middle console led strip after 5 minutes. The dash led and passenger side front and back door led strip are on still. Any suggestion?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 12:01 PM   #65
fndrplayer13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 30e / 2018 Model 3

This thread is awesome. This mod is great and looks amazing. Thank you OP for documenting this.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2021, 04:49 PM   #66
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Could you take some pictures on both rear door panels (from inside), and post them here to see where you have plugged in your connectors?
Appreciate 0