MarkCav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoAtHome View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstar335 View Post
Did you get the K2s for the rear as well, I have looked at wiring diagrams for the HK and HiFi system and there is almost no difference between the two. Based on what I saw the component speakers should work in the rear without the tweeter being connected. Thoughts?
I don't see any reason the HiFi wiring won't work for rear components, you'll need tweeter enclosures. I already have IC 100L rear speakers installed. I ordered just the fronts, they were delivered on Friday. First impression, K2 mid is slightly smaller than the OEM, shouldn't be an fitment issue. The tweeter on the other hand requires a protective collar whose OD is larger than OEM tweeter. I'm hoping the one in the adapter kit will work. The crossover is huge (3x4x1.5), leap of faith this will fit somewhere in the door. Hoping K2s are worth it, on paper the T/S parameters don't look much different than the 100Ls .

A tech at Focal suggested I cross the mids at 200hz with a -12db slope given we have subs. That's pretty high, I currently have the 100Ls crossed at 150hz w/ -24db slope using an LR filter. As this progresses, the under-seat sub is becoming a key issue in obtaining a full sound. I'm still using the OEM as better options, at least on paper, are limited... but that's worthy of an entire thread.
I've heard from various installers the K2's are "night and day" better than the PNP's. Likewise, the Utopia M's are "night and day" better than the K2's. I'm thinking of going with the Utopia M's (professionally installed).
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 09:19 AM   #68
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 x40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCav View Post
I've heard from various installers the K2's are "night and day" better than the PNP's. Likewise, the Utopia M's are "night and day" better than the K2's. I'm thinking of going with the Utopia M's (professionally installed).
Go for it and certainty let us know how it sounds. How are they going to be powered and what are you doing for the under-seat woofer?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 09:35 AM   #69
MarkCav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCav View Post
Go for it and certainty let us know how it sounds. What are you doing for the under-seat woofer?
Probably won't have it done until February/March —after the holidays. I'll have the Utopia M's up front, the ISUB BMW4's underneath the front seats, and a JL Audio sub (13TW3) stored in the spare tire well. Will use Helix amps (V12 with DSP and P One) to drive Focals, underneath subs, rear speakers, and JL Audio sub). Will keep the HK rear speakers.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 12:21 PM   #70
silverstar335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05

I am trying to figure who can create adapters for the Focal ES165K and EC165K. Their stats are very impressive in comparison to the Focal Inside speakers.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 07:18 PM   #71
Lifeisgood20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport

Where did you purchase the Match amp? thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 03:38 PM   #72
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

What a messy hastle buying from Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender View Post
I'm returning my Bavsound speakers and I have the Focal set on order from Ebay/Germany @ $654 for doors, and dash center. Bavsound is a noticeable improvement, but I hear a somewhat distorted sound on some vocals. Not the smoothness I expected. And that is when playing music at 50 -75% volume, so I'm not really pushing the HiFi amp. Well, let's hope they refund my $$ and that the Focal speakers perform better. After doing the install once, it will only take me 15 - 20 minutes per door to do it again. Not so scary now. I'll post an update after I do the install.
On October 19th I placed an order for Focal ICBMW100L, ISBMW100L, and ICCBMW100 speakers on EBAY from Germany. The tracking information stated that FedEx would deliver by Oct 27. To make a long story short, as of Nov 19 my speakers were not delivered. I contacted the vendor who stated that I had to pay import tax and then FedEx would deliver. I contactd FedEx and they told me that the shipper pays the tax. I contacted EBAY and they refunded my money.
So, be careful if you use "extremeaudio_carhifi" from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 05:55 PM   #73
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I may be selling my ICBMW 100L speakers once I install the new K2’s… hopefully over the holiday. I bought them from Germany as well and got a great deal… ~$300… used about 3-4 months… will let them go for under what I paid… PM me if you are interested.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 11:55 AM   #74
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X5, '22 X5e

Quote:
I may be selling my ICBMW 100L speakers once I install the new K2’s… hopefully over the holiday. I bought them from Germany as well and got a great deal… ~$300… used about 3-4 months… will let them go for under what I paid… PM me if you are interested.
What are you doing for the adapter rings (or not)?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 03:46 PM   #75
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pacey View Post
What are you doing for the adapter rings (or not)?
I bought them off eBay. The woofer looks to be a perfect fit, it’s the tweeter that I’m concerned about... will know once I try to install them.
Appreciate 1
5pacey55.00
      11-24-2021, 06:09 PM   #76
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I bought them off eBay. The woofer looks to be a perfect fit, it’s the tweeter that I’m concerned about... will know once I try to install them.
Thx... mind providing specific eBay item because I've been lost in the overload of adapters, rings and fittings all of which are almost a fit except for something not being exact. Can't seem to find a G05 front door adapter rings and don't really want to buy 10 of them to try.

Tweeter from my sleuthing should be ok, but I think you need to remove the grille, like here: Removing Focal ES100K tweeters from their housings
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 06:09 PM   #77
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I picked Focal ES100K adapter rings for BMW. I'm attempting to install them now and ran into a few problems. I may have a solution, will report back once I get through it.
Appreciate 1
5pacey55.00
      11-26-2021, 06:40 PM   #78
sarge_in
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e, Acura TL

Vertigo, looking forward to see how the Focal install goes and your impressions with that. My Match Amp is planned to be installed next week, and will then need to decide whether to replace speakers/subs in my 45e that came with HiFi.

I have a suspicion that replacing subs before the speakers may be better (at least for me), but just a guess at this point.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 08:25 PM   #79
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I picked Focal ES100K adapter rings for BMW. I'm attempting to install them now and ran into a few problems. I may have a solution, will report back once I get through it.
Thanks Vertigo. I've been looking at those. Actually found the guy's original thread where he reported getting the speakers, for his 330 (if I recall correctly), speakers not fitting, and then him coming up w/the idea of 3D printing the rings. Then bunch of people started asking him for them and thats how he landed on eBay ... The question I had though was if they are going to fit, because those are for his 3, not G05, or even any X5. I was sort of 50/50 because chances are since they are for a 3, w/a 676 sounds system then maybe they'd fit in an G05, or any reasonably recent X5 for that matter.

Sounds like you are confirmig that they fit, maybe?

Crossing fingers for you, and hopefully me in near future
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 04:24 PM   #80
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well I got the K2's installed. I need to put some miles on before I can declare victory. I should be elevated to least Captain for this effort... moderator? This was considerably more difficult than the PnP Focal IC BMW 100L install which looks trivial now. The mid-range adapter ring was spot on but it has a ridge on it that interferes with the mounting towers, so I had to shim the ring to clear them. The tweeters also require an adapter ring and the ones in the kit didn't fit so I ended up using the mesh grill covers and that appear to work but time will tell if they stay within the clips. I was able to fit the crossovers behind the door panel but the mounting is simply double sided tape so I'm not sure they'll stick over time. I found a slightly better location when I did the second door but they really need to be screwed to the door. That requires removing the inner door panel and I wasn't willing to do that until I knew they'd at least fit. There is no wiring that comes with the K2's so I had to cut lengths of wire and crimp/solder connectors which took a number of tries before I got a quality connection.

I'm sure you all are more interested in the sound rather than the pain it took to install them. Once I break them in I'll be able to report on it. Now that I have my measuring mic I can tune it with the real time analyzer. This isn't going to be ground shattering given the 100L's are pretty damn good so I'm expecting just incremental steps as is common with HiFi. First impression is good but they definitely need a lot of power, perhaps more than I'm using, to get up to their potential.

Having done it, not sure I'd do it again, at least as a DIY install. This certainly isn't for everyone... more later.

Last edited by VertigoAtHome; 11-27-2021 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 3
MarkCav72.00
5pacey55.00
Gstahl18.00
      11-28-2021, 01:38 PM   #81
sarge_in
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e, Acura TL

Good to hear even the install details. Looking forward to hear sound impressions once you break them in and tune.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 08:42 PM   #82
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

For anyone thinking about upgrading, I'm selling my Focal IS BMW 100L speakers in the classified section.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 02:37 AM   #83
shatty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 6MT Alpine White

https://www.amazon.com/Focal-ES100K-...a-305675358216

Ordered 2 pairs...for this price why the F not?

Make that 4 pairs....didnt know there was another location behind the rear seats and I and going to use for center as well. I will have 1 of each speaker left over if anyone wants to buy it.

Last edited by shatty; 12-11-2021 at 03:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 05:46 PM   #84
Ropax5
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e and 2020 X3 30i

I installed the Bimmertech Amp today with their preloaded tuning file. What a difference even with the OEM speakers. 100% confident my 2022 sounds with the upgraded Amp and OEM speakers sounds better than my 2017 X5 with HK.

Took all but 30 minutes to install with 25 minutes of that time spent on one mounting bracket screw.

Debating on if I should replace the front and rear door speakers with focals but honestly not sure if I would hear a difference. I will definitely not replace the subs. They are more than adequate with the additional power.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 07:19 PM   #85
silverstar335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropax5 View Post
I installed the Bimmertech Amp today with their preloaded tuning file. What a difference even with the OEM speakers. 100% confident my 2022 sounds with the upgraded Amp and OEM speakers sounds better than my 2017 X5 with HK.

Took all but 30 minutes to install with 25 minutes of that time spent on one mounting bracket screw.

Debating on if I should replace the front and rear door speakers with focals but honestly not sure if I would hear a difference. I will definitely not replace the subs. They are more than adequate with the additional power.
Just to confirm, your X5 is the 45e?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 08:08 PM   #86
Ropax5
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e and 2020 X3 30i

Quote:
Yes, I installed in the 45e. Plug in the harness and mount the bracket. I did have to plug in the amp to upload the tuning file because they forgot to save my profile and there was originally no sound from the subs. Luckily I had an old PC laptop which is required to run the audio tech software.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 08:12 PM   #87
silverstar335
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I installed in the 45e. Plug in the harness and mount the bracket. I did have to plug in the amp to upload the tuning file because they forgot to save my profile and there was originally no sound from the subs. Luckily I had an old PC laptop which is required to run the audio tech software.
Very tempted to get it but I have upgraded all my speakers to the Focal Inside, including the subwoofers, and am not entirely sure the tuning file they provide would be a "match".
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 08:25 PM   #88
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have an Audiotec amp as well, Match in my case, and initially used the oem speakers and you are right, big difference. I put Focals 100Ls in the front and rear doors, and then replaced the 100L's in the front doors with K2s. My advice, forget about the rear doors, center, and under-seat subs, just go with IC 100L's in the front doors. Its easy to do, sounds great, you will hear the difference. That's all you need to do to have a sound system as good if not better than the HK and it's all PnP.
Appreciate 0