BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-03-2021, 09:42 AM   #1
TCBavarian
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M, M2CS, E46 ZHP, E53 X5

Should I PPF/Coat if I am likely a short term owner?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Getting a MBB X5M.

I've concluded the answer is no, but I guess I'm here for some validation.

My history shows that I own most of my cars for 1yr or less. My M2CS is a long term purchase and I decided to PPF the front and ceramic coat it myself.

My longest ownership for a new car has been 1.5yrs (F15 X5). I don't know how long we will own this (it's the best car we've owned in my opinion). But I was thinking to only ceramic coat it myself. We will probably make some trips between Florida, Spartanburg, and DC over the next year. PPF is only $1600 for XPEL full front.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 10:11 AM   #2
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

If money is not an issue PPF as you know is a lot easier to clean up so i would recommend the front.. not to mention you will have a piece of mind on most impacted area of vehicle.. and like you said you can ceramic coat the rest.. who knows you may own this 2+yrs and then may regret not getting it done when you had a chance.. either way if you sell later its a value add for next owner which can help promote the sale.
      08-03-2021, 10:14 AM   #3
TCBavarian
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid_eg View Post
If money is not an issue PPF as you know is a lot easier to clean up so i would recommend the front.. not to mention you will have a piece of mind on most impacted area of vehicle.. and like you said you can ceramic coat the rest.. who knows you may own this 2+yrs and then may regret not getting it done when you had a chance.. either way if you sell later its a value add for next owner which can help promote the sale.
Thanks very good point. I know on dealer trade, they told me it doesn't add any value.

I'm wondering how many people trade these in vs private party sale.

LMAO look at me. I don't even have the car and I'm already going over how to sell it. I just like to be educated
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 10:25 AM   #4
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep

i would not trade at dealer... typically you will get more by selling it at Carmax, Caravana or any of these other large companies who buy/sell used cars.. dealers will generally low ball you to make a cut then just CPO it and throw it on the lot or send back to Manheim to flip it..

If its a lease and you get rid of cars say in 1.5-2yrs, and cost is not of a huge concern to you, you can easily swap a lease the car as BMW will allow take overs for 1yrs, plus future owner can extend max another 6 months after lease is up and your PPF will likely stand out as a lot more desirable deal to be snagged up quicker than the runner up. (You also have option to ask for money with swap a lease)
      08-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #5
TCBavarian
Captain
Rep

Quote:
i would not trade at dealer... typically you will get more by selling it at Carmax, Caravana or any of these other large companies who buy/sell used cars.. dealers will generally low ball you to make a cut then just CPO it and throw it on the lot or send back to Manheim to flip it..

If its a lease and you get rid of cars say in 1.5-2yrs, and cost is not of a huge concern to you, you can easily swap a lease the car as BMW will allow take overs for 1yrs, plus future owner can extend max another 6 months after lease is up and your PPF will likely stand out as a lot more desirable deal to be snagged up quicker than the runner up. (You also have option to ask for money with swap a lease)
Yea I've swapped out of 4 of my leases, and had carmax/carvana/dealer buy out 4 of them. I'm just thinking that at near 120K msrp, that the tax savings of a dealer trade makes more sense than selling to carvana/private party.

When I was buying 1, 2, 3 series, private party and carmax sales made sense. On my loaded X5, X7 and now X5M it sounds like dealer trade will make sense.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 10:34 AM   #6
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep

what i mentioned above works well in a "buy" situation as there is no tax involved.. however in your case, swapping them out that early is generally bad idea as these cars have shitty residuals, (doesn't matter if you own or lease) the minute you drive off that lot you lost a huge chunk of change and car is brand new.. the reason i mentioned swapalease is because you can find someone to just take over your lease and you're off the hook and can start a fresh clean deal without getting raped on a trade and rolling that negative equity to new deal..
      08-03-2021, 10:44 AM   #7
TCBavarian
Captain
Rep

Quote:
what i mentioned above works well in a "buy" situation as there is no tax involved.. however in your case, swapping them out that early is generally bad idea as these cars have shitty residuals, (doesn't matter if you own or lease) the minute you drive off that lot you lost a huge chunk of change and car is brand new.. the reason i mentioned swapalease is because you can find someone to just take over your lease and you're off the hook and can start a fresh clean deal without getting raped on a trade and rolling that negative equity to new deal..
I always go with very aggressive deals and time my sell/trade based on current market conditions to maximize profit (mostly) or minimize depreciation. It takes a lot of effort and constant monitoring, but works out well for me.

Amway, back on topic. It's the road trips that scare me. $1,600 for ppf sounds fine as long as we plan to keep it for 2+ years. I'll see what the wife wants to do long term with this one.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 10:51 AM   #8
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep

Like i mentioned before, if you're keeping it 2yrs, i personally find value in PPF, long or short trips its a breeze to maintain and clean up and never have to look at nasty swirls.. swirls on DG bother me which hardly shows any of them, i cannot imagine looking at swirls on darker paint.. best of luck with your decision!
      08-03-2021, 03:28 PM   #9
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCBavarian View Post
Quote:
I always go with very aggressive deals and time my sell/trade based on current market conditions to maximize profit (mostly) or minimize depreciation. It takes a lot of effort and constant monitoring, but works out well for me.

Amway, back on topic. It's the road trips that scare me. $1,600 for ppf sounds fine as long as we plan to keep it for 2+ years. I'll see what the wife wants to do long term with this one.
FWIW, I can't imagine spending $1600 on protecting a rental car because that's exactly what a leased car is...a long-term rental car.
      08-03-2021, 03:29 PM   #10
TCBavarian
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
Quote:
Quote:

FWIW, I can't imagine spending $1600 on protecting a rental car because that's exactly what a leased car is...a long-term rental car.
Agreed never on a leased car
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 04:32 AM   #11
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
The financing mechanism is irrelevant - even if you pay cash and sell it after year, it was still a "rental car" if you want to abuse the term, i.e., you paid a cost of usage (depreciation) for the period you drove it and you no longer have the vehicle nor the depreciated $$. The car depreciated and BMW got the differential, so you effectively "rented" from BMW.

the benefit of leasing is securing sole-usage rights (and asset control) without the asset & market risk, something you don't get with a loan or cash purchase.

A BMWFS lease is usually the cheapest risk-adjusted option (not so with other brands) in that it has guaranteed financial control with a pre-negotiated sale that can be executed any time. If the market drops significantly - or the market for YOUR vehicle drops, say, due to 5 accidents - no problem, you already negotiated your sale.

With a lease BMWFS takes the market risk, not you.
Quote:
The notion your $1600 is somehow easier to get from the next buyer because of how you financed is bogus - the next buyer doesn't care how you financed your car ... if you leased it & PPF'd it, and want to do the work to get your $1600, then just find a buyer willing to pay for your PPF (which you'd have to do no matter the original financing), buy out your lease, & sell it. It's no different whether you leased, took a loan, paid cash, or your grandma bought it for you. What buyer gives 2 shits how you financed?

The whole "buh buh buh it's a rental!" is silly.

Last edited by GrussGott; 08-04-2021 at 04:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 08:36 AM   #12
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
The financing mechanism is irrelevant - even if you pay cash and sell it after year, it was still a "rental car" if you want to abuse the term, i.e., you paid a cost of usage (depreciation) for the period you drove it and you no longer have the vehicle nor the depreciated $$. The car depreciated and BMW got the differential, so you effectively "rented" from BMW.

the benefit of leasing is securing sole-usage rights (and asset control) without the asset & market risk, something you don't get with a loan or cash purchase.

A BMWFS lease is usually the cheapest risk-adjusted option (not so with other brands) in that it has guaranteed financial control with a pre-negotiated sale that can be executed any time. If the market drops significantly - or the market for YOUR vehicle drops, say, due to 5 accidents - no problem, you already negotiated your sale.

Quote:
The notion your $1600 is somehow easier to get from the next buyer because of how you financed is bogus - the next buyer doesn't care how you financed your car ... if you leased it & PPF'd it, and want to do the work to get your $1600, then just find a buyer willing to pay for your PPF (which you'd have to do no matter the original financing), buy out your lease, & sell it. It's no different whether you leased, took a loan, paid cash, or your grandma bought it for you. What buyer gives 2 shits how you financed?

Ok. I get your point. However, my point wasn't so much finance related as it was focusing on the fact that short-term ownership (ie: leasing) makes paying for pff a bad idea financially.
      08-04-2021, 09:02 AM   #13
TCBavarian
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post

I agree with you 100%. What my statement was referring to was "I wouldn't do it on any of my leased cars". I know how and where I drive, and I also know the lease turn in process accounts for chips and things like that.

I 100% agree with you about the rental garbage. Fixed/set depreciation via a lease can be great. I've leased so many cars where I came out ahead. I run massive spreadsheets with depreciation analysis, incentives, discounts, rebates, and interest rates for every potential purchase.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18159.50
      08-04-2021, 09:54 AM   #14
Silververtu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
Do you wash the car yourself often enough to justify the effort (time and $) on PPF/ceramic coating?

Do you enjoy working on your car? You mentioned you did the ceramic coating yourself?

For sure the next owner will get to enjoy your result

Gone but not forgotten:
2006 2.0T A4 Avant, 2007 Z4 Roadster 3.0si, 2006 M Roadster, 2013 550i M Sport, 2015 Cayman S, 2015 X5 50i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 03:46 PM   #15
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Absolutely not. All you do is make a 6000+ dollar investment for the next owner, which will be free because these PPFs and coatings never, ever increase a car's value. (Edit- sorry didn't read you wanted to just PPF the front, still $1600+ another $1500 for ceramic so around $3000)

Now on the other hand, if you want to change the look of the car by going with a matte or prism effect PPF, then sure. You are actually getting an aesthetic out of it. But again, you will never recover that investment when you sell it.

Also, remember, on these cars, you need to Xpel the doors as well because the wide front tires will sand blast the living fuck out of all four doors about half way up. All it takes is one trip going over random highway gravel at 70 MPH to complete mar the side of the car.

Last edited by -Vanguard-; 08-04-2021 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 05:57 PM   #16
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
I agree with you 100%. What my statement was referring to was "I wouldn't do it on any of my leased cars".
Right, and just saying leasing vs loan vs cash vs grandma bought it for you shouldn't factor in to whether you want to PPF a car, because:

(1.) In order to get any of the PPF spend back, you have to find a buyer willing to pay you something for the "value add" - how you financed doesn't change having to find that person, and that person doesn't care how you financed, so your finance mechanism is irrelevant to your decision to PPF

(2.) Anything over basic transportation is already "jewelry" so I'd say you've already decided to lose money on a jewelry experience

(3.) Everyone's line on what they're willing to pay for an experience is different - we both might go to Hawaii and you might see a hotel as just a place to put your head for 8 hours while you sleep and I might see it as the entire experience, thus I'd pay more & you'd pay less

Add it all up and it comes down to:

Is $1600 worth 3 years of easy cleaning & a better looking front end? If so add ceramic?

At the end of the day it's all just a hobby; for me, if I can find a great deal on an X5 I'll likely lease, pick it up in Spartanburg, & PPF the front end no matter the financing mechanism.
Appreciate 2
Swappy531.50
      08-05-2021, 08:48 AM   #17
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
I always had PPF installed on all my cars whether it's a buy or lease. But, like the op, I only keep my cars less than two years and I always just trade the car in. So, with my X6M that I bought in Feb, I decided not to PPF anymore. When you trade in the car, it doesn't matter what you have put on it and it doesn't increase the value of your trade so I'll just drive without PPF.
      08-06-2021, 10:37 AM   #18
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

I generally do a Simonize or ceramic coat on leases just to avoid having to wax the car, make it easier to clean, keep it looking sharp, and prevent minor abrasions.
Appreciate 0