BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-23-2021, 09:54 PM   #1
skyliner10004
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 x5

Show me your baby seats!

I'm looking for options on a convertible car seat!

I've been recommended the Diono 3qxt, but I know its so tall that my front passenger seat would have to be pushed forward a bit and limit any reclining.

Pics please!!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 11:10 PM   #2
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyliner10004 View Post

I've been recommended the Diono 3qxt, but I know its so tall that my front passenger seat would have to be pushed forward a bit and limit any reclining.

Pics please!!
We use the Uppababy Mesa. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

We have it behind the passenger seat, and yes, it does limit how far back the passenger can go. Not ideal, but it's also not that bad.

About 2 weeks ago for a longer drive out of town, we moved the seat to the center which gave my wife more room to move the seat back.

Somewhat related - just a reminder that the LATCH system is not supposed to be used when the baby seat is in the center in the x5. I know it seems stupid, but I see no reason to take any chances when it comes to the baby.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 09:29 AM   #3
G07xG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 - 2024 M3 Comp

I got uppababy and a graco. I'll snap some pictures later
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 10:07 AM   #4
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

We used the Nuna Exec. When it's in the rear facing configuration it does limit the seat in front. My wife, at 5'-6" was still able to sit comfortably in the passenger seat with the exec behind it. I was also able to fit 3 execs across the back seat, which was a nice surprise. My 6 year old and 2 year old both sit in one. Now both forward facing so no longer an issue with the front seats being restricted.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 10:22 AM   #5
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Not sure how helpful these are, but I took a picture from each door.

Passenger Side Rear, where we have the baby seat:
Name:  Rear_Right_4.jpg
Views: 7015
Size:  284.0 KB
There's a gap of about 1.5 inches between the seat by the USB charger, and the baby seat

Driver's Side Rear:
Name:  Rear_Left_2.jpg
Views: 6155
Size:  301.5 KB

Passenger Seat:
Name:  Passenger_Seat_3.jpg
Views: 5953
Size:  335.4 KB
My wife and I are both 5 '10", and we both find it comfortable enough with the way it's setup. As mentioned before, though, for longer trips we move the seat to the center so the seat can go further back.

Driver's Seat:
Name:  Drivers_Seat_1.jpg
Views: 5970
Size:  329.6 KB
Appreciate 1
hiki08173.50
      08-24-2021, 10:30 AM   #6
Russ103
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyliner10004 View Post

Pics please!!

About 2 weeks ago for a longer drive out of town, we moved the seat to the center which gave my wife more room to move the seat back.

Somewhat related - just a reminder that the LATCH system is not supposed to be used when the baby seat is in the center in the x5. I know it seems stupid, but I see no reason to take any chances when it comes to the baby.
We just welcomed a newborn, so this is my first experience with putting a car seat in any vehicle. We bought my wife's M50i after knowing that a baby was coming. With that said, I would have NEVER thought that a baby seat behind the drivers seat would mean that I (at 6' 1")wouldn't be able to to sit in my normal driving position. So we put the seat in the middle, while stretching the straps to the max to reach the latches, which seems just as secure as on either side.

Which begs the question, the X5 isn't considered to be a small vehicle by most people, yet a baby seat doesn't fit without the driver or front passenger comprising their position. So what do people with smaller cars (many cars on the road are smaller then the X5) and babies do??

Had I known this in advance, I would have really considered the X7 M50i.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 10:44 AM   #7
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ103 View Post
We just welcomed a newborn, so this is my first experience with putting a car seat in any vehicle. We bought my wife's M50i after knowing that a baby was coming. With that said, I would have NEVER thought that a baby seat behind the drivers seat would mean that I (at 6' 1")wouldn't be able to to sit in my normal driving position. So we put the seat in the middle, while stretching the straps to the max to reach the latches, which seems just as secure as on either side.

Which begs the question, the X5 isn't considered to be a small vehicle by most people, yet a baby seat doesn't fit without the driver or front passenger comprising their position. So what do people with smaller cars (many cars on the road are smaller then the X5) and babies do??

Had I known this in advance, I would have really considered the X7 M50i.
Yeah unfortunately rear leg room in the x5 isn't that great, but we took the seat with us to the dealer before buying the car and felt comfortable enough with it. As VTENGR mentioned, though, I'm looking forward to when I can turn the baby seat around.

Also, I really hope this doesn't come across the wrong way. I swear I'm not trying to be condescending or anything like that - In regards to the latch system, after reading about it a bunch, I found that in order for you to be able to use it from the middle seat, both the baby seat manual AND the car manual have to say it's okay to do.

In all likelihood it's probably safe, but my understanding is that unless it's specifically mentioned, it means that the seat was not tested for that situation. I was also concerned about the difference in safety when using the latch system vs. the seatbelt to hold the base down, but everything I've read indicates that there is effectively no difference, it's simply a matter of convenience.

EDIT: Oh and forgot to mention, congrats on the baby!
Appreciate 2
Russ103300.50
TXSchnee1280.00
      08-24-2021, 10:47 AM   #8
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I've gone through a variety with two kids, and the Nuna has been my favorite brand.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 12:02 PM   #9
Watboy
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
So we put the seat in the middle, while stretching the straps to the max to reach the latches, which seems just as secure as on either side.
If you are using the middle seat, you should NOT be using the latches on the outboard seats. They are not designed to take a load at those angles. You should instead use the seatbelt to secure the car seat or base. Latches were designed to be easier to use not stronger; they are actually substantially weaker than seatbelts. Latch only has a 65lb rear facing and 69lb forward facing combined weight limits. Seatbelts can handle handle much much more than that.
Appreciate 4
      08-24-2021, 12:06 PM   #10
Greyback
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 M50i; 2022 228xi

Is there enough room to have 2 car seats and a normal adult human in the middle?

I am about to take delivery of a 2022 and with 2 kids, I'm starting to worry that there won't be room for a third person in the middle of the back seat.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 12:13 PM   #11
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyback View Post
Is there enough room to have 2 car seats and a normal adult human in the middle?

I am about to take delivery of a 2022 and with 2 kids, I'm starting to worry that there won't be room for a third person in the middle of the back seat.
What I did is put the car seats to one side of the car. So you have one installed in the middle (as stated above, using seat belts, not latch system because of safety) and one behind the passenger seat. This left the seat behind the driver seat open. This was plenty of room for Nana to sit there. If you put the seats on the outside and leave the middle open, there could be enough room, however, it won't be comfortable and it will be challenging to maneuver around the car seats to get to the middle seat.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2021, 12:14 PM   #12
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyback View Post

Definitely possible, but I would guess not comfortable at all. With two kids I would at least consider the x7 since that would provide more room in the 2nd row.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 12:23 PM   #13
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watboy View Post
If you are using the middle seat, you should NOT be using the latches on the outboard seats. They are not designed to take a load at those angles. You should instead use the seatbelt to secure the car seat or base. Latches were designed to be easier to use not stronger; they are actually substantially weaker than seatbelts. Latch only has a 65lb rear facing and 69lb forward facing combined weight limits. Seatbelts can handle handle much much more than that.
Thanks for this info. I was never able to find a good explanation as to why I couldn't use them. I have a friend who insists on using the latches in the center even though I told him he shouldn't. Now I can go to him with more concrete evidence.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 12:27 PM   #14
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

I can show my beer basket.
Off topic, but has to be said.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2021, 01:48 PM   #15
boba_balla
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e Phytonic Blue

Quote:
Thanks for this info. I was never able to find a good explanation as to why I couldn't use them. I have a friend who insists on using the latches in the center even though I told him he shouldn't. Now I can go to him with more concrete evidence.
Does his middle seat of latches? There are some makes/models that do have latches in the middle seat, so maybe that's why he's prefers to use them. However if it doesn't, then it is NOT recommended to use them as Watboy said.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 02:40 PM   #16
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba_balla View Post
Does his middle seat of latches? There are some makes/models that do have latches in the middle seat, so maybe that's why he's prefers to use them. However if it doesn't, then it is NOT recommended to use them as Watboy said.
Confirming the x5 does not have latches for the center, nor are the outside latches able to be borrowed for the center. The manual specifically states they are only for the outside seats.

I absolutely don't want to be that person telling another parent how to do anything, it's already hard enough raising children, but I do hope that anyone who was considering using the latches in the center reconsiders. No matter how small of a chance something bad happens, it just doesn't seem worth it.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 02:41 PM   #17
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOP View Post
I can show my beer basket.
Off topic, but has to be said.
Off-topic, sure. But also just as important.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 02:46 PM   #18
boba_balla
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e Phytonic Blue

We have a Graco 4Ever 4-in-one, but no pictures yet since we don't have the car yet. It is pretty wide. We did bring the carseat during our testdrive to see how it would fit, both for the front passenger as well as seating 2 adults in the rear. My wife and I are 5'5" and 5'7" though so not tall at all, and average build. We had plenty of room for front passenger, and also ok room seating 2 adults in the back with the carseat. We also brought our stroller to see how much of the cargo area it would take up.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 02:50 PM   #19
Russ103
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watboy View Post
Quote:
So we put the seat in the middle, while stretching the straps to the max to reach the latches, which seems just as secure as on either side.
Thank you, I will move the base to the passenger side in that case.

I do regret my wife not getting the bigger X7 however. Compared to the rear seat space of my Raptor, the X5 flat out sucks. First world problem I know.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 03:00 PM   #20
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you, I will move the base to the passenger side in that case.

I do regret my wife not getting the bigger X7 however. Compared to the rear seat space of my Raptor, the X5 flat out sucks. First world problem I know.
Just in case you would rather leave the seat in the center, you can use the seat belt to anchor the base down. Takes a little more work, but once you do it you don't have to touch it again. And to reiterate, no difference in safety by using the seatbelt, so you don't have to worry about it be more dangerous or anything like that.

I think your thoughts on the room in the back are totally fair. I believe the x5 is near the bottom in terms of rear leg room compared to other similar cars.

Still, both my wife and I got used to it quickly. For one, we're never back there. And two, the passenger seat is still comfortable.
Appreciate 1
Russ103300.50
      08-24-2021, 09:27 PM   #21
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

Quote:
I'm looking forward to when I can turn the baby seat around.
When facing forward they start kicking the back of your seat, which makes you wish they were still rear facing.

Also while the X5's rear leg room is disappointing for its size, it does have two benefits in my experience. One, it is wider than most cars so an adult can sit in the middle with two car seats in place. Two, the tall and boxy greenhouse plus lack of plastic clutter in the low dash area enables me to pull my seat more forward than any other car, helping to appropriate more space for the rear. Boxy shape and tall roofline also makes it easy to put/remove the kids in/from the rear facing car seat...
      08-24-2021, 09:37 PM   #22
xdriv3
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

I have the Nuna Rava (rear facing) on the passenger side and a Nuna Pipa Lite in the middle seat. My wife is able to sit comfortably in the 2nd row w/ them. Front passenger also has decent space.
Appreciate 0