Here are my baby's seats 🤪
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Russ103300.50
      08-25-2021, 06:07 AM   #24
amanhasnoname
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 40i

[QUOTE=YuicyYumboYack;27956099]Not sure how helpful these are, but I took a picture from each door.

Which seat protector do you have?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 10:03 AM   #25
Watboy
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
Thanks for this info. I was never able to find a good explanation as to why I couldn't use them. I have a friend who insists on using the latches in the center even though I told him he shouldn't. Now I can go to him with more concrete evidence.
What latches were designed for were people who had to frequently move car seats between two cars. While using seatbelt to anchor the chair/base is better, it takes deliberate effort to do so correctly. Many parents who have to move their child between cars frequently may start getting a little lax during re-installation of the seat, or worst, get lazy and don't use the car seat at all for that short trip. So latch was designed to make it easy to install and remove a car seat/base. Since it is mandatory in North America and the similar ISOFix in Europe, car makers made sure that the minimum load capacity was set low enough that they didn't have to do any excessive engineering / reinforcement for it. Seatbelts on the other hand, have been heavily regulated and a key part of safety for decades and cars are designed from the ground up with seatbelts in mind. Its why seatbelts can handle a 300lb adult passenger, but Latch can only handle 70lbs.

So even if you have a latch you can use, if you will not being moving your seat between cars, it is best to use a seatbelt to anchor it than the latch. Absolute safest thing to do is middle seat, seatbelt anchor. Though not the most convenient.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2021, 10:56 AM   #26
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watboy View Post
What latches were designed for were people who had to frequently move car seats between two cars. While using seatbelt to anchor the chair/base is better, it takes deliberate effort to do so correctly. Many parents who have to move their child between cars frequently may start getting a little lax during re-installation of the seat, or worst, get lazy and don't use the car seat at all for that short trip. So latch was designed to make it easy to install and remove a car seat/base. Since it is mandatory in North America and the similar ISOFix in Europe, car makers made sure that the minimum load capacity was set low enough that they didn't have to do any excessive engineering / reinforcement for it. Seatbelts on the other hand, have been heavily regulated and a key part of safety for decades and cars are designed from the ground up with seatbelts in mind. Its why seatbelts can handle a 300lb adult passenger, but Latch can only handle 70lbs.

So even if you have a latch you can use, if you will not being moving your seat between cars, it is best to use a seatbelt to anchor it than the latch. Absolute safest thing to do is middle seat, seatbelt anchor. Though not the most convenient.
This is incredibly helpful. I never move the base, so I may use the seatbelt instead.

To your point, when we used the center seat while we were out of town, it was really inconvenient. Trying to get the baby out of the car while parked in between two other cars involved both my wife and I.

Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 11:08 AM   #27
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure how helpful these are, but I took a picture from each door.

Which seat protector do you have?
It's the Munchkin Brica Elite Seat Guardian Car Seat Protector.

Probably overkill, but I asked a rep at Uppababy if they had any seat covers they recommend with their products, and the responded with
  • Munchkin Brica Elite Seat Guardian Car Seat Protector
  • Diono Super Mat
  • Diono Ultra Mat
According to the rep I spoke with, these are the mats that were tested to be used with the Mesa. Again, maybe overkill, but I'd rather be overly cautious when it comes to the baby.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 12:32 PM   #28
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
I do regret my wife not getting the bigger X7 however. Compared to the rear seat space of my Raptor, the X5 flat out sucks. First world problem I know.
The X5 is tall but not a long vehicle IMO. In terms of length,
Honda Accord > BMW 5 series > BMW X5.

BMW as a brand has a lot of good qualities, but tons of space for hauling kids isn't one of them. Even the X7 doesn't have a great 3rd row.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 01:41 PM   #29
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Quote:
Confirming the x5 does not have latches for the center, nor are the outside latches able to be borrowed for the center. The manual specifically states they are only for the outside seats.

I absolutely don't want to be that person telling another parent how to do anything, it's already hard enough raising children, but I do hope that anyone who was considering using the latches in the center reconsiders. No matter how small of a chance something bad happens, it just doesn't seem worth it.

are you talking about these latches:
Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1711
Size:  31.5 KB
OR these:
Name:  Capture3.JPG
Views: 1593
Size:  30.5 KB

we've been using ones from the first photo the past 2 yrs. thankfully, no accident. now our boy is 2 front facing using the seat belt. With another baby coming in Nov, our 2yr old is moving behind the driver side and a baby seat in the middle (will use the seatbelt this time). hopefully there will be room for the wife behind the passenger side.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 01:46 PM   #30
boba_balla
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e Phytonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
Attachment 2680741
OR these:
Attachment 2680746

we've been using ones from the first photo the past 2 yrs. thankfully, no accident. now our boy is 2 front facing using the seat belt. With another baby coming in Nov, our 2yr old is moving behind the driver side and a baby seat in the middle (will use the seatbelt this time). hopefully there will be room for the wife behind the passenger side.
Correct, those 2 bottom anchors for the latch system are meant for the outside seats only, and not for the middle seat. If you are putting the carseat in the middle seat, you should only be using the seatbelt method. Since you'll be putting 2 carseats in the rear, guess you wouldn't have an option to use the latch anymore for the middle seat as it will be taken up by the other car seat.
Appreciate 2
      08-25-2021, 02:16 PM   #31
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba_balla View Post
Correct, those 2 bottom anchors for the latch system are meant for the outside seats only, and not for the middle seat. If you are putting the carseat in the middle seat, you should only be using the seatbelt method. Since you'll be putting 2 carseats in the rear, guess you wouldn't have an option to use the latch anymore for the middle seat as it will be taken up by the other car seat.
makes sense! thanks! probably have the infant seat in the middle using seat belt this time around
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 05:03 PM   #32
bceye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Using the seatbelt is not hard actually. We have Nuna Rava and it makes it dead simple to put the car seat on using a seatbelt (takes me only 1 min). One tip is to making sure to pull the seatbelt all the way out first and hear it click, then slowly releasing it to tighten (you will hear clicks).

Last edited by bceye; 08-25-2021 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 08:53 PM   #33
Russ103
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by taek View Post
Quote:
I do regret my wife not getting the bigger X7 however. Compared to the rear seat space of my Raptor, the X5 flat out sucks. First world problem I know.
The X5 is tall but not a long vehicle IMO. In terms of length,
Honda Accord > BMW 5 series > BMW X5.

BMW as a brand has a lot of good qualities, but tons of space for hauling kids isn't one of them. Even the X7 doesn't have a great 3rd row.
I'm beginning to see that. It's not a big deal since we only have one baby, but I am surprised to say the least at how little back seat space there is in the X5. This is something I've never looked at since when the hell would I ever have to sit back there?

How is the X7's second row space, any experience with that?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 11:38 PM   #34
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

We have the Graco DLX 4ever and I always recommend installing the car seat in the middle unless you have to have 2 car seats then one goes to the side and one stays in the middle. Right now there is plenty of room for 2 passengers to sit comfortably in the back next to the car seat on each side.

Also, no latch to be used and only seat belt. We have kept our 2 year old rear facing and plan on doing that until he is at least 3 or even 3.5 maybe…basically until he starts protesting it. I take no chances with my baby boy!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 11:42 PM   #35
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Thanks for this info. I was never able to find a good explanation as to why I couldn't use them. I have a friend who insists on using the latches in the center even though I told him he shouldn't. Now I can go to him with more concrete evidence.
In general its a no-no, but the first source is read your car manual to see if they allow it.
      08-25-2021, 11:44 PM   #36
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
Here are my baby's seats 🤪
I'm so jelly of those seats every time I see them. So nice
      08-25-2021, 11:52 PM   #37
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyliner10004 View Post
I'm looking for options on a convertible car seat!

I've been recommended the Diono 3qxt, but I know its so tall that my front passenger seat would have to be pushed forward a bit and limit any reclining.

Pics please!!
I've got a thread on car seats from over on the F15/85 forum if you want to take a look on car seat info.....
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1533046

If you have one kid, I recommend the middle position using a seat belt install. Best is using a car seat with a seat belt locking mechanism. I've got Britax Advocate/Boulevard Clicktight. Most convertible seats will limit recline if behind the passenger seat.
      08-26-2021, 12:01 AM   #38
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
In general its a no-no, but the first source is read your car manual to see if they allow it.
I went as far as reading through HIS car's manual just to prove to him he shouldn't do it. He still went with center seat with latches.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 12:41 AM   #39
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Somewhat related - just a reminder that the LATCH system is not supposed to be used when the baby seat is in the center in the x5. I know it seems stupid, but I see no reason to take any chances when it comes to the baby.
Absolutely correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ103 View Post
We just welcomed a newborn, so this is my first experience with putting a car seat in any vehicle. We bought my wife's M50i after knowing that a baby was coming. With that said, I would have NEVER thought that a baby seat behind the drivers seat would mean that I (at 6' 1")wouldn't be able to to sit in my normal driving position. So we put the seat in the middle, while stretching the straps to the max to reach the latches, which seems just as secure as on either side.

Which begs the question, the X5 isn't considered to be a small vehicle by most people, yet a baby seat doesn't fit without the driver or front passenger comprising their position. So what do people with smaller cars (many cars on the road are smaller then the X5) and babies do??
Congrats. You'll learn to take car seats with you when shopping for cars in the future to see their fit and placement for yourself. However its pretty common in all but the largest cars that a rear facing car seat behind any seat compromises the position.

Quote:
Yeah unfortunately rear leg room in the x5 isn't that great, but we took the seat with us to the dealer before buying the car and felt comfortable enough with it. As VTENGR mentioned, though, I'm looking forward to when I can turn the baby seat around.

Also, I really hope this doesn't come across the wrong way. I swear I'm not trying to be condescending or anything like that - In regards to the latch system, after reading about it a bunch, I found that in order for you to be able to use it from the middle seat, both the baby seat manual AND the car manual have to say it's okay to do.

In all likelihood it's probably safe, but my understanding is that unless it's specifically mentioned, it means that the seat was not tested for that situation. I was also concerned about the difference in safety when using the latch system vs. the seatbelt to hold the base down, but everything I've read indicates that there is effectively no difference, it's simply a matter of convenience.
Smart for taking the seat along. I've done this with every car purchase. More people need to read the manual and understand proper fit and installation of a car seat. Seat belt is just as safe as latch, but it really comes down to installation. The most expensive care seat becomes unsafe if it isn't installed correctly and the cheap will work just a well when installed correctly.

Quote:
If you are using the middle seat, you should NOT be using the latches on the outboard seats. They are not designed to take a load at those angles. You should instead use the seatbelt to secure the car seat or base. Latches were designed to be easier to use not stronger; they are actually substantially weaker than seatbelts.
Absolutely correct. Preach on!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba_balla View Post
Does his middle seat of latches? There are some makes/models that do have latches in the middle seat, so maybe that's why he's prefers to use them. However if it doesn't, then it is NOT recommended to use them as Watboy said.
Ditto!!

Quote:
Confirming the x5 does not have latches for the center, nor are the outside latches able to be borrowed for the center. The manual specifically states they are only for the outside seats.

I absolutely don't want to be that person telling another parent how to do anything, it's already hard enough raising children, but I do hope that anyone who was considering using the latches in the center reconsiders. No matter how small of a chance something bad happens, it just doesn't seem worth it.
Kudos for reading the manual, absolutely correct.

Quote:

Even if you are moving your seat between cars, seat belt install may be easier. Several models now have easy almost fool-proof seat belt installations that some find easier to secure than latch. Even with latch getting the car seat snug without significant movement can be difficult.

Quote:
It's the Munchkin Brica Elite Seat Guardian Car Seat Protector.

Probably overkill, but I asked a rep at Uppababy if they had any seat covers they recommend with their products, and the responded with
  • Munchkin Brica Elite Seat Guardian Car Seat Protector
  • Diono Super Mat
  • Diono Ultra Mat
According to the rep I spoke with, these are the mats that were tested to be used with the Mesa. Again, maybe overkill, but I'd rather be overly cautious when it comes to the baby.
The key statement is "these are the mats that were tested to be used with the Mesa". Most car seat makers are not testing seat protector mats with their seats, so unless the manual specifically says you can use it, assume it hasn't been tested and should not be used because the performance of the car seat in a car cannot be verified.

Quote:
Attachment 2680741
OR these:
Attachment 2680746
The first photo is the outboard seat latch those can be use to secure car seats rear of front facing. Check your manual for weight limitations using latch. The second photo is the front facing tether point, these should be used with most front facing seat, again read the manuals, and prevent excessive head excursion in rear impacts and limits rebound.
      08-26-2021, 12:43 AM   #40
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I went as far as reading through HIS car's manual just to prove to him he shouldn't do it. He still went with center seat with latches.
      08-26-2021, 09:32 PM   #41
skyliner10004
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 x5

Quote:
Attachment 2680741
OR these:
Attachment 2680746

you've been doing it wrong for 2 years. the latches are for the outer seats only.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 01:25 PM   #42
Mark86
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i Arctic Gray

We have the Chico Next Fit. It is a large seat but still enough room for front passenger.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 03:11 PM   #43
G07xG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 - 2024 M3 Comp

Will 2 Graco'a fit right next to eachother? ( one on side and one in middle) currently I have both of them behind driver/passenger seats
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 10:40 AM   #44
Nitrium
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2021 M50i

We have the Clek Fllo. It's a great seat, but very bulky. Can't wait until I can turn it over, facing forward, because it takes quite a lot of room facing backwards - it's not comfortable for the passenger in front.
Appreciate 0