BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-26-2021, 01:25 PM   #1
bforbrian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

Bowers & Wilkins Speaker Issues

Since ownership of my car, I've noticed some sound issues with the B&W sound system, and was wondering if anyone has experienced the same and if I should take the car to the dealership to check it out:

-Front passenger door speaker: when the music is on very loud and the bass/kick drum hits, I hear a distinct 'knocking' or 'clicking' noise, as if the speaker is blown. When a sub-bass plays, it rattles as well. On low to medium volume, I don't hear any clicking or rattling.

-Small speakers on the roof headliner: are these speakers supposed to be similar to the other speakers in the car in terms of frequency output? The only sounds I hear from these specific speakers are distorted high range frequency reverb sounds, similar to when sound is bit-crushed (for you music producers out there). I can't tell if this is normal? Does only reverb and extended surround high-frequency sounds make it to the roof headliner speakers? Or should they be more full, because they're definitely not full. This is at any volume.

Does anyone think that the dealership can replace speakers? My hesitancy in bringing the car to the dealership to get it checked out has to do with them possibly damaging panels/doors when they remove the speakers and not actually solving the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 12:55 AM   #2
TheSpajic
Registered
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45E

hey, I have the B&W sound aswell and don't have the issue with other speakers than the once in the roof, they some times sound like you describe them.

I have played with the setting and turned the 3D sound to the lowest setting, ant this helps a lot.

Also important thing I have noticed, is that the musik I play is from Spotify, and when I play music with higher quality it sounds a lot better, so this could maybe be a problem with the music quality ?

But to answer you, I have not have the same problems, only with the head speakers, and that was solved with turning down for 3D sound.

Let me know what you come out to find.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 05:12 PM   #3
bforbrian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpajic View Post
hey, I have the B&W sound aswell and don't have the issue with other speakers than the once in the roof, they some times sound like you describe them.

I have played with the setting and turned the 3D sound to the lowest setting, ant this helps a lot.

Also important thing I have noticed, is that the musik I play is from Spotify, and when I play music with higher quality it sounds a lot better, so this could maybe be a problem with the music quality ?

But to answer you, I have not have the same problems, only with the head speakers, and that was solved with turning down for 3D sound.

Let me know what you come out to find.
Thanks for the reply. It makes sense that turning down the 3D sound improves this issue because music is not feeding through the surround sound speakers such as the one in the headliners. It's hard to tell if that's the way it's supposed to sound (but I doubt it), or if there's an actual issue with the speakers....
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 04:50 PM   #4
Protocol_10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bforbrian View Post
Thanks for the reply. It makes sense that turning down the 3D sound improves this issue because music is not feeding through the surround sound speakers such as the one in the headliners. It's hard to tell if that's the way it's supposed to sound (but I doubt it), or if there's an actual issue with the speakers....
I have the B&W speakers in my X5, and I experienced distortions at a higher volume. Not sure if this will help you, but I turned on the "sound check" option in my music settings. It eliminated the distortion for me

Hopefully playing around with your phone/car settings will help. If you've tried everything to no avail, contact your local dealer
thereef5101165.00
      11-09-2021, 08:48 AM   #5
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

I do not have distortion at all. There are a couple songs where something is going on with one of the speakers in the rear.. the bass is off and it sounds like the speaker is blown. It's only 1-2 songs but other than that the system is great. Well great for what it is. It is lacking major bass.

Give us the name of a song you want us to test. I will crank it up and see if it sounds off.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 05:24 PM   #6
Classic Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bforbrian View Post
Since ownership of my car, I've noticed some sound issues with the B&W sound system, and was wondering if anyone has experienced the same and if I should take the car to the dealership to check it out:

-Front passenger door speaker: when the music is on very loud and the bass/kick drum hits, I hear a distinct 'knocking' or 'clicking' noise, as if the speaker is blown. When a sub-bass plays, it rattles as well. On low to medium volume, I don't hear any clicking or rattling.

-Small speakers on the roof headliner: are these speakers supposed to be similar to the other speakers in the car in terms of frequency output? The only sounds I hear from these specific speakers are distorted high range frequency reverb sounds, similar to when sound is bit-crushed (for you music producers out there). I can't tell if this is normal? Does only reverb and extended surround high-frequency sounds make it to the roof headliner speakers? Or should they be more full, because they're definitely not full. This is at any volume.

Does anyone think that the dealership can replace speakers? My hesitancy in bringing the car to the dealership to get it checked out has to do with them possibly damaging panels/doors when they remove the speakers and not actually solving the issue.
I have the B&W and recently discover the speaker in the dash sounds either distorted or blown. Will likely take the dealer for repair.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 05:27 PM   #7
Classic Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrock97 View Post
I have the B&W speakers in my X5, and I experienced distortions at a higher volume. Not sure if this will help you, but I turned on the "sound check" option in my music settings. It eliminated the distortion for me

Hopefully playing around with your phone/car settings will help. If you've tried everything to no avail, contact your local dealer
Is the sound check a part of the idrive or your phone?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 05:39 PM   #8
Protocol_10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Man View Post
Is the sound check a part of the idrive or your phone?
It's in my phone. I have an iPhone, so I went to settings, music, and clicked "sound check"

I hope this helps! If not, schedule an appt with your dealer to have it repaired
      11-16-2021, 05:47 PM   #9
Classic Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's in my phone. I have an iPhone, so I went to settings, music, and clicked "sound check"

I hope this helps! If not, schedule an appt with your dealer to have it repaired
Thanks! I will cry if they tell me there are no replacements speakers anywhere except on a container ship somewhere!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 11:12 AM   #10
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

I've had similar issues, but I also listen to it at almost 90% volume sometimes so some distortion is expected. It still blows out of the water any other stock sound system I've heard in any car, period.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 07:16 PM   #11
Classic Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Man View Post
Quote:

Thanks! I will cry if they tell me there are no replacements speakers anywhere except on a container ship somewhere!
I tried the sound check. Same problem. Guess I have to visit the dealer.
Appreciate 0