BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-02-2021, 12:17 AM   #177
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

If they're going to force it out via the phone, where you end up either using WiFi or your cellular data, why not make it available to everyone at once? My guess is that they don't want to support the server traffic.

Regardless, I have not seen it become available yet to me.

Personally, I'd like to update the nav data for the whole market, too, so if I do travel, it's already there, rather than having to wait for it. I went out of my area in August...was there for about 4-days, and it did not update that area. You shouldn't have to change your active region...it should recognize you're out of it, and do it by itself.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2021, 01:50 AM   #178
volodp
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 45e, 2022 iX40

My guess is that they anticipate a certain number of support tickets to be submitted per given number of installations so they're throttling them to maintain the response time.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 06:57 AM   #179
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
OTA updates are no longer available through the vehicle's data connection so you should be fine. They now need to be downloaded to the phone and then to the vehicle.
If you are an update behind the app will never download the current update. You have to go to the dealership which is why I went to begin with however if what you say is true then most likely it will auto update once I am current with the most recent rollout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkratochvil View Post
The upgrade will then be available to all customers as an automatic download directly through their vehicle.".
Soooo... that being said I am still screwed because I garage our vehicles. Right?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 09:51 AM   #180
raddoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5,Model3,M240i

I installed the update yesterday using Wi-Fi & Bluetooth per the My BMW instructions without any problems....until today. After driving the X5 for 2 miles and stopping for 10 minutes I got multiple messages including all-wheel drive not active, no back-up assistance available and blind-spot detection not available. I spoke to local dealer, was instructed to park & lock to reset the system, which much to my surprise cleared the issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 10:18 AM   #181
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkratochvil View Post
Do tell TurtleBoy, it doesn't really feel like an OTA upgrade anymore if the only way to do it is load it via your phone. (I know, that's how most of us do it anyway, given the speed improvement...just surprised!)
As far as I know, there has been no one able to download the update to their vehicle like it used to do. Using the phone is the only way to download it.
      12-02-2021, 06:49 PM   #182
BMW_Bubblehead
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 xdrive45e Phytonic Blue

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
Another one that just completed my update. Minor problems along the way when the download hung up. Finally cancelled download and restarted, then everything went through. Haven't noticed any big differences yet, other than having to reset a couple of preference settings.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 07:16 PM   #183
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
updated to 07/2021.50 today. connected to vehicle via CarPlay (as per my usual connection). process took 20 min total. it took longer to re-set my preferred settings and re-code lol
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2021, 08:21 PM   #184
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
If you are an update behind the app will never download the current update. You have to go to the dealership which is why I went to begin with however if what you say is true then most likely it will auto update once I am current with the most recent rollout.
Even though my car hasn't received any OTA updates since delivery a year ago (11/2020), my dealer last week wouldn't install the latest update. They would do it for $179.
Stated they will check with the dealer rep if BMW will allow it. It's been over a week and I still haven't heard anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 06:57 AM   #185
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

As discussed earlier you should contact BMW Genius submit a ticket then have dealer contact them using ticket number or your VIN. I had it done twice already both times I was not charged. Dreading to do it again but I already have the ticket open just waiting for next service.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 03:34 PM   #186
BMW_Bubblehead
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 xdrive45e Phytonic Blue

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Bubblehead View Post
Another one that just completed my update. Minor problems along the way when the download hung up. Finally cancelled download and restarted, then everything went through. Haven't noticed any big differences yet, other than having to reset a couple of preference settings.
OK - so one final problem. My iPhone was having trouble connecting, and CarPlay would not work at all. Finally had to do the display reset (hold for 70 seconds). Then everything reset and it connected to phone immediately, and went straight to CarPlay mode.

So at this point I think everything is good.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 04:14 PM   #187
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Yeah, we're learning how to train our dragons
      12-03-2021, 07:54 PM   #188
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
As discussed earlier you should contact BMW Genius submit a ticket then have dealer contact them using ticket number or your VIN. I had it done twice already both times I was not charged. Dreading to do it again but I already have the ticket open just waiting for next service.
I again tried contacting Genius and the same as last time, they claim they don't have a case/ticket #.
I'll contact my dealer next week and see what the dealer rep decided to do.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 08:59 AM   #189
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

If for some reason they do not share with you the ticket number then the SA can contact HQ and go from there. This is covered under warranty as the system is not working as designed. I had the updates done through the dealership so I know it works like this. The "Genius" provided me the case/ticket number to share with the SA for when I went in or perhaps it was BMW Connected by either way it was covered under warranty on our X7 and they never gave any push-back.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 12:19 PM   #190
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

I have waited and waited, and update still not available to my car.

I am on 03/2021.5, and I have had successful previous OTA updates.

So has everyone gotten the updates or update notifications already?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 12:24 PM   #191
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
I have waited and waited, and update still not available to my car.

I am on 03/2021.5, and I have had successful previous OTA updates.

I'm still waiting on mine. I would guess only a small percentage of people have already gotten then update.
nosnoop837.50
      12-04-2021, 12:33 PM   #192
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
hard to quantify if everyone has updated or been notified. i got the notification several days ago (while my car was still in service at the dealership). i just updated from 03/2021 this past Thurs.
Appreciate 1
nosnoop837.50
      12-04-2021, 02:19 PM   #193
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

If this update follows the pattern of my last one, it is likely to be another month before I get notified the update is available. IOW, while I don't know how they assign a vehicle to the queue to get updated, it is by no means a blanket dump to everyone at the same time...they get metered out, I think to prevent spending more money on a bigger server farm.

Unless you have a service issue that can be corrected by the newer firmware, you just have to wait your turn. If you're friendly with your local service manager, you might be able to find out a service issue that this may tweak, and then claim to have that problem and get them to do it for you. Most of the stuff they report is just enhancements, not problem fixes, so wanting the 'latest' doesn't cut it for needing it.

On my i3, when they did an update (not OTA), the service manager told me that BMW Germany essentially custom made a build for my exact hardware specification, and that server then dumped it into my vehicle via their internet connection. This meant that the firmware could be smaller, since it didn't need to have logic to figure out exactly what was in your vehicle, and what modules and options needed to be programmed. IOW, it at least wasn't like say a Windows update, that, depending on the hardware you had, would select the right bits to install...it is a more customized build for your specific vehicle...IF that's the case still, if you did a file compare between a couple of update files, they wouldn't be the same. Electronic modules can get tweaked over time, so even with the same options, the box might need different software to function properly, making it potentially a bit more difficult.

Last edited by jad03060; 12-04-2021 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 11:36 AM   #194
DwainA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Auto High Beam Stays

Updated this week. After driving the last 2 nights it appears that Auto keeps the HIGH BEAM setting active all the time. I didn't have to switch it on each time. Anyone else notice this change?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 03:59 PM   #195
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwainA View Post
Updated this week. After driving the last 2 nights it appears that Auto keeps the HIGH BEAM setting active all the time. I didn't have to switch it on each time. Anyone else notice this change?
I'm not sure I understand. the auto high beam button on the left stalk always keeps the high beams on until the condition warrants them to turn off (ie oncoming traffic). once the condition is gone, the high beams come on again. are you saying they just stay on high beam all the time? or are you saying you no longer have to press the left stalk auto high beam button anymore and that AUTO on the light control board now turns on the auto high beam function?

I've driven twice to work in the early AM darkness since updating, and my auto high beams don't activate until I press the left stalk button. The feature stays active until I press the button again to turn it off or shut off the engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 06:49 PM   #196
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

With some s/w builds, the X5 doesn't 'remember' that you turned auto highbeams switch on, and defaults to off...sounds like the latest s/w remembers that setting.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 08:34 AM   #197
DG-X5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F95 X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG-X5 View Post
Didn't realize the ATT v. Verizon thing, but you may be able to get it downloaded via your MyBMW app and transfer it from your phone instead? I don't see it yet for my F95 but I'm sure it'll come in due course…
Since you have an F95, if you think of it, let me know that you received the update. I won't hold my breath that I'll get it, but if I do before you, I'll reply that I received it.
Just got 07/2021.50 this AM, finally!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      12-06-2021, 09:47 AM   #198
DwainA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwainA View Post
I'm not sure I understand. the auto high beam button on the left stalk always keeps the high beams on until the condition warrants them to turn off (ie oncoming traffic). once the condition is gone, the high beams come on again. are you saying they just stay on high beam all the time? or are you saying you no longer have to press the left stalk auto high beam button anymore and that AUTO on the light control board now turns on the auto high beam function?

I've driven twice to work in the early AM darkness since updating, and my auto high beams don't activate until I press the left stalk button. The feature stays active until I press the button again to turn it off or shut off the engine.
High beam in Auto is now staying active after turning the 45e off and restarting. It's working properly, I just don't have to trigger High Beam button each time I go for a nighttime drive.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50