BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-22-2021, 02:15 AM   #1
pwnagiux
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 Xdrive 40i

X5 PPF and Tint - Tips?

Was wondering if you guys had gotten ppf done (and where on the car)
Im really scared theyre gonna disassemble the car ( i know it makes the ppf more seamless) but just wanted to hear from you guys about how you got ppf done and is it possible to do ppf without removing panels, emblems, door handles?

Also tips on what to communicate to ppf installer? how to find a good ppf installer? any tips welcome.

Also wondering if anyone had tips for tint, scared that the amount of water they spray can damage the car electronics.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 02:24 AM   #2
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnagiux View Post
Im really scared theyre gonna disassemble the car ( i know it makes the ppf more seamless) but just wanted to hear from you guys about how you got ppf done and is it possible to do ppf without removing panels, emblems, door handles?

Also tips on what to communicate to ppf installer? how to find a good ppf installer? any tips welcome.

Also wondering if anyone had tips for tint, scared that the amount of water they spray can damage the car electronics.
I think I already responded to you in another thread about deciding whether the thin use-cases PPF is valuable in (tiny rock chips, incident small enough to not dent the metal but big enough to scrape through the clear coat) is right for you, so I'll skip that and assume you've decided that cost is worth it (i.e., you want a maintained car, you're willing to maintain it a little, but you don't want to do much work yourself) ... in that case ...

You have a few PPF options:

(1.) Pre-cut pieces
Pro: cheaper, takes less skill so not much installer-research on your part
Con: Might have seams between pieces, might not wrap around panel edges; installers might not have good after-service, i.e., if & when you need a repair

(2.) Custom wrap
Pro: Looks the best
Cons: expensive, requires a lot of installer research because it's a high skill job, takes a lot of time (5ish days), might still curl up at the edges and need repair

NOTES:
* Good installers don't need to remove anything
* Good kits will be single pieces for each panel, no multi-piece panels
* Good custom installers are spendy - look for at least 5+ years of CUSTOM installation experience, i.e., no pre-cut pieces
* Good installers will repair problems that develop (bubbles, edge-curl, etc) instantly & free
* Porsche boards will have good recommendations in your area
* If a kit installer gives you the same price as a custom installer that's a warning flag for one or both

As an example, here's some text from a recent quote for one of the top installers in the SF bay area:
*all installations we perform are 100% custom – no precuts are ever used
*no panels are removed for our installations
You might consider learning how to maintain your car for this one (what it looks like, how hard it is, what the trade-offs are, etc), then consider if you want or need to go fancier for the next one.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2021, 10:41 AM   #3
Ashme
Private
Rep
Drives: Viper, GX460, BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnagiux View Post

Shouldn't be an issue with a good installer, but you way want to ask them to put towels down if you're tinting front the windshield. I didn't and there were water stains. Took 20 seconds to clean up, but I was surprised they didn't do it as normal course.
2011 Lexus GX (for sale soon)
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00