BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-20-2021, 10:11 AM   #1
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Gas Prices and EV Considerations

I read a report that looks at gas prices to EV adoption and it’s interesting.

https://insideevs.com/news/508327/ri...s-ev-adoption/

In the report it stated that $4 per gallon represents a significant threshold, where more than a quarter of the respondents would consider an EV. $5 represented a huge jump in that value, with more than 50% consideration.

In California it has reached that threshold and even I’m considering a full EV vehicle.

What value of gas would make you consider an EV vehicle? You know the energy companies have to realize this correlation and, while they’re making money hand over fist, it can’t be good for long term prospects.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 10:31 AM   #2
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

If you're already in the market for a 40i, there's very little reason not to get the 45e. The federal tax credit makes it the same price and California incentives make it even more attractive. If you have off peak charging rates and are willing to install a level 2 charger, it will make the math work even better.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18159.50
      11-20-2021, 11:12 AM   #3
dynamic
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
I read a report that looks at gas prices to EV adoption and it’s interesting.

In the report it stated that $4 per gallon represents a significant threshold, where more than a quarter of the respondents would consider an EV. $5 represented a huge jump in that value, with more than 50% consideration.

In California it has reached that threshold and even I’m considering a full EV vehicle.

What value of gas would make you consider an EV vehicle? You know the energy companies have to realize this correlation and, while they’re making money hand over fist, it can’t be good for long term prospects.
Many factors to consider when making this decision but you must first accept the obvious EV downsides, recharger locations, range anxiety, home hardware expenses, significant downtime to recharge, etc.
Energy costs vary profoundly across the US. California electric rates range from high to ridiculous. San Francisco residents are pounded with 26 cents per KWH and Los Angeles 24 cents. We pay just over 8 cents per KWH here in SW FL which makes an EV far more attractive than in the Bay area of CA.
You may find that the EV is not that advantagious if at all after these many factors are weighed in a logical manner.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 11:21 AM   #4
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamic View Post
Quote:
I read a report that looks at gas prices to EV adoption and it's interesting.

In California it has reached that threshold and even I'm considering a full EV vehicle.

What value of gas would make you consider an EV vehicle? You know the energy companies have to realize this correlation and, while they're making money hand over fist, it can't be good for long term prospects.
Many factors to consider when making this decision but you must first accept the obvious EV downsides, recharger locations, range anxiety, home hardware expenses, significant downtime to recharge, etc.
Energy costs vary profoundly across the US. California electric rates range from high to ridiculous. San Francisco residents are pounded with 26 cents per KWH and Los Angeles 24 cents. We pay just over 8 cents per KWH here in SW FL which makes an EV far more attractive than in the Bay area of CA.
You may find that the EV is not that advantagious if at all after these many factors are weighed in a logical manner.
Just checked and I'm being charged 36 cents per kWh off peak and 42 cents peak in San Jose. There is a baseline credit of 8 cents. I think Santa Clara is much lower. My M50i is looking like a good decision lol
      11-20-2021, 11:45 AM   #5
dynamic
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
Just checked and I'm being charged 36 cents per kWh off peak and 42 cents peak in San Jose. There is a baseline credit of 8 cents. I think Santa Clara is much lower. My M50i is looking like a good decision lol
Good grief, 42 cents per KWH, that is absolutely insane and almost 4 times what we pay in an affluent paradise.
You can be pretty certain that an EV is not a good alternative under those conditions.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 12:46 PM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Good grief, 42 cents per KWH, that is absolutely insane and almost 4 times what we pay in an affluent paradise.
You can be pretty certain that an EV is not a good alternative under those conditions.
you make some valid points, but i can't help but get the feeling you're being a snob about it. (i hope you don't mean to be.) Florida is great for you, but you push your perceived advantages about that state onto all of us here with your distaste or unwillingness to accept EVs in its current iteration. you snark at CA's higher utility costs compared to your 'affluent paradise'. other states have higher-than-FL utility costs and affluent communities, too, and they choose to live there for various reasons.

those "downsides" you mentioned above you referred to them as the "dark side of EVs" in another thread. they are to you. for me, they had no negative bearing whatsoever on my decision to purchase the 45e. in my use-case, i've been able to utilize its EV capability 99% of the time in 11 months. i've mentioned numerous times it was one of the best purchases i've made in my adult life. going solar just adds more cherry. the tax credits have been phenomenal. the daily operating cost and sheer driving pleasure of the 45e is utterly satisfying given i'm lugging a 3.5-ton vehicle. why do you try so hard to downplay others' interest in EV/PHEVs?

it honestly doesn't feel like you're humbly trying to convince your fellow man to realize there are simply better choices out there regarding the 45e or similar vehicles. you say things like, "Hopefully the day will come when EVs will stand on their own merrit and the government no longer..." we get it. you don't like Biden, and you don't like the EV/PHEV 'thing' right now that he and other like-minded folks/states/agencies are embracing, but your undertones in many of your critical posts in this forum come across as very anti-Liberal, pro-Republican, which i've kindly asked you in another thread to subdue.

Last edited by nZtiZia; 11-20-2021 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 12:56 PM   #7
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Never. Cost of fuel has nothing to do with my preference. I will never, ever own a electric vehicle. Even with a more competent infrastructure to accommodate an electric vehicle (and are not even close in rural America)I have no desire in the electric car.

Last edited by MystroX5; 11-20-2021 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 3
nZtiZia4647.50
Russ103308.00
Bucksn633.00
      11-20-2021, 01:01 PM   #8
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Never. Cost of fuel has nothing to do with my preference. I will never, ever own a electric vehicle.
these are the kinds of responses to posts i prefer. simple and to the point. i can respect your decision for whatever your reasons. you don't imply anything about any states of affairs, hidden agendas, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 01:02 PM   #9
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
Lol I think I have flat 5.8 cents per kWh locked in for the next 5 years.

5.8 cents Canadian lol.

California is always good for some laughs that’s for sure.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      11-20-2021, 01:09 PM   #10
volodp
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 45e, 2022 iX40

Quote:
Never. I will never, ever own a electric vehicle.
Unless that's the only type of vehicle you can buy, I guess. Or you mean the actual fact of ownership? Versus leasing, for example.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 01:13 PM   #11
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
these are the kinds of responses to posts i prefer. simple and to the point. i can respect your decision for whatever your reasons. you don't imply anything about any states of affairs, hidden agendas, etc.

Choices are what makes the world go around and I have nothing against anyone that wants a electric vehicle. I don’t like politics or social pressure artificially influencing having choices in vehicles.
I think diversity in transportation vehicles makes traveling more interesting. My neighbor is really into aviation and I have zero interest in owning a plane. It’s that simple.
Appreciate 1
FCX52380.50
      11-20-2021, 01:18 PM   #12
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodp View Post
Unless that's the only type of vehicle you can buy, I guess. Or you mean the actual fact of ownership? Versus leasing, for example.

I can afford to be eccentric in my own transportation choices. That said, I will push back toward any outside influences that might eliminate the freedom of choice and diversity in transportation platforms.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 01:24 PM   #13
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
If you're already in the market for a 40i, there's very little reason not to get the 45e. The federal tax credit makes it the same price and California incentives make it even more attractive. If you have off peak charging rates and are willing to install a level 2 charger, it will make the math work even better.
I agree. I have been observing many new X5s around me and almost all are 45e. The 40i I see are older. I am also seeing a few brand new X5MC around. But the 45e is the most popular. Overall, the X5 is very popular in Northern VA area.

I am glad we preordered our iX. Also, configured now and hoping to have it next June/July - whether or not the gas prices rise or fall. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 01:29 PM   #14
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Choices are what makes the world go around and I have nothing against anyone that wants a electric vehicle. I don’t like politics or social pressure artificially influencing having choices in vehicles.
I think diversity in transportation vehicles makes traveling more interesting. My neighbor is really into aviation and I have zero interest in owning a plane. It’s that simple.
100%. All technologies have pros and cons and the market/consumers should decide what is best for them. We have an EV and 2 ICE vehicles at home. Each serves it's purpose well. We're probably going to end up being 1 EV, 1 PHEV and 1 ICE family by the end of next year…
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 01:38 PM   #15
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I read a report that looks at gas prices to EV adoption and it's interesting.

In California it has reached that threshold and even I'm considering a full EV vehicle.

What value of gas would make you consider an EV vehicle? You know the energy companies have to realize this correlation and, while they're making money hand over fist, it can't be good for long term prospects.
The cost savings on fuel isn't sufficient to justify owning an EV in many places, IMHO. I saw a video, where a guy drove a Taycan across EU and it cost him more than the gas on a v12 Ferrari!

However, having an EV at home, not needing to go to a gas station or oil change etc is a boon to me. Plus, our condo fees covers our charging so it's a sunk cost to us! Basically, it's free, compared to $70/week on the 50i.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 01:40 PM   #16
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

I'm also in the camp of fuel costs not being a main factor to drive a PHEV.

I love the PHEV more than the ICE version (I've had them both) for a few reasons:
  • I hate the chore of going to the gas station
  • I can pre-condition the car in my garage without killing anybody
  • It is so much "zippier" 0-40 than the ICE version
  • It's quieter
Since having a 45e for ~7 months now, I can say with confidence I won't be going back to a strictly-ICE vehicle ever. That'd be kind of like buying a CD player after experiencing an iPod.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2021, 01:49 PM   #17
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMarkA View Post
[...]
Since having a 45e for ~7 months now, I can say with confidence I won't be going back to a strictly-ICE vehicle ever. That'd be kind of like buying a CD player after experiencing an iPod.
same regarding these two points. i still get gas every 2 weeks for my wife's G30, but in less than 2 years, i won't have to. though my 45e is not her daily, she also wants to get a PHEV next based on the few times she drove it to work. she's really hoping the 545e makes it to US in 2023 when her lease is up. if not, she's still open to getting the 530e.

Last edited by nZtiZia; 11-20-2021 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 02:07 PM   #18
kingmonkeyjr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M40i, GLC63, E63s, Trackhawk

I think 1 ICE and 1 EV is the perfect garage.. Wes re going that route. My wife will use EV full time as she doesn't go more than 100 miles any day. I'll use the 45e to cut down on fuel however it wil be our long range tripper.
Appreciate 2
FCX52380.50
volodp196.50
      11-20-2021, 02:26 PM   #19
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMarkA View Post

I love the PHEV more than the ICE version (I've had them both) for a few reasons:
  • I hate the chore of going to the gas station
  • I can pre-condition the car in my garage without killing anybody
  • It is so much "zippier" 0-40 than the ICE version
  • It's quieter
Yup. My friends who have the 45e say the same. I agree, it's not the cost savings, but how enjoyable it is…and convenient.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 03:02 PM   #20
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Most of my trips are local, in town, so the 45e is perfect for me as I can easily run them all in EV mode. I took a 2000-mile trip with little change to recharge, and achieved about 28-mpg, better than you'd likely get with a 40i, or certainly the 50i. At no time during the trip did I feel deprived of power (it's almost exactly the same power-to-weight ratio as the 40i). Prior to this, I had an ICE and and EV...the ICE didn't get driven much. An ICE, in my situation, where most of the trips are short, and local, is terrible on the engine oil, muffler, battery, as it rarely would get fully warmed up. NOt an issue with an EV or PHEV.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 04:11 PM   #21
dynamic
Banned
Rep

Quote:
you make some valid points, but i can't help but get the feeling you're being a snob about it. (i hope you don't mean to be.) Florida is great for you, but you push your perceived advantages about that state onto all of us here with your distaste or unwillingness to accept EVs in its current iteration. you snark at CA's higher utility costs compared to your 'affluent paradise'. other states have higher-than-FL utility costs and affluent communities, too, and they choose to live there for various reasons.

those "downsides" you mentioned above you referred to them as the "dark side of EVs" in another thread. they are to you. for me, they had no negative bearing whatsoever on my decision to purchase the 45e. in my use-case, i've been able to utilize its EV capability 99% of the time in 11 months. i've mentioned numerous times it was one of the best purchases i've made in my adult life. going solar just adds more cherry. the tax credits have been phenomenal. the daily operating cost and sheer driving pleasure of the 45e is utterly satisfying given i'm lugging a 3.5-ton vehicle. why do you try so hard to downplay others' interest in EV/PHEVs?

it honestly doesn't feel like you're humbly trying to convince your fellow man to realize there are simply better choices out there regarding the 45e or similar vehicles. you say things like, "Hopefully the day will come when EVs will stand on their own merrit and the government no longer..." we get it. you don't like Biden, and you don't like the EV/PHEV 'thing' right now that he and other like-minded folks/states/agencies are embracing, but your undertones in many of your critical posts in this forum come across as very anti-Liberal, pro-Republican, which i've kindly asked you in another thread to subdue.
Wow.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 07:35 PM   #22
Jeff661
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX x50 Stormbay Metalic

Garage List
2023 BMW iX x50  [0.00]
It’s funny to me when people say they don’t want an EV/PHEV because charging takes so long. My wife drives a Volt and I have a 45e. I’ve bought gas twice this year. Charging takes 1 second to plug the car in when I get home. I’ve owned PHEVs for 10 years and have never waited anywhere ever for my car to charge. Many utilities offer a specific rate for people with EVs. My electricity is $.19 kwh which is still cheaper than gas but I paid thousands less for the car after tax credits so who cares if electricity is the same cost as gas. All in I will spend thousands less than a 40i owner over my ownership life.
Appreciate 2
45e21153.00
volodp196.50