BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-21-2021, 01:56 PM   #1
jcardea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40I

GO5 Ring and Pinion, Front Differential

This video is of a production line I was Chief Engineer. I began work on this line in late 2017 and went into production fall of 2020. COVID slowed it down but accomplished it. Prior to this line our contract for G05 product were manufactured more on manually operated areas. This over line is 60 feet wide x 350 feet long. ring and pinion gear blanks are machined in our soft turning areas, then entered this line in plastic dunnage, offloaded by robots in pairs onto traveling pallets. once in this line, all operation is performed to both ring and pinion simultaneously through gear teeth generation, heat treating process, annealing process, rings go to hard turning, pinion go to straightening, OD grinding, paired together for life in lapping area, then rotational testing. Then pair are married to pre-assembled differential where ring is pressed on and laser welded. Then offloaded to plastic pallets to go to out assemble department. We are not allowed to publish actual processes because all of these are proprietary. Then on to Spartanburg. It was filmed and edited by my colleague with a drone. Hope anyone will enjoy this. This is and will be my final major project, as I am retiring early 2022.

Appreciate 3
omasou2079.50
91Eunos99.00
FTP2034.00
      11-21-2021, 02:37 PM   #2
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
It took 4 years to install, configure and test this before it was ready for production!?

Perfect example of why vendors can't just "scale up" for the current COVID demand.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 05:19 PM   #3
jcardea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
It took 4 years to install, configure and test this before it was ready for production!?

Perfect example of why vendors can't just "scale up" for the current COVID demand.
No of course not. With a global company the size of GKN, there is huge amount of red tape. As stated in my post and in video our facility was already in full production on G05 for BMW as well as GM, Ford, Fiat/Chrysler, and others. BUT our facility was steadfast in Gear Production the same systems as we started over 25 years ago. When is was hired, it was for a major growth? Production was basically 35,000 Axles per YEAR. Prior to COVID we were producing 35,000 axles per WEEK! . there was a team formed to vastly improve manufacturing, reduce WIP and so on. That Team was called True North, I developed 3 full and complete concepts which took months to come to which one would meet all goals for all aspects. Then they go out for quotes, then very long negotiations. Final contract was let in November 2018. Final design and build then began. However, we went through a global takeover and management changed several times. The actual line was completely installed beginning in August 2019 and that video was shot November 2019, as parts of the video stated. It is a complete paradigm shift to production, moving from batch manufacturing with large amount of WIP on hand and large amounts of space, to a single piece full pull system. The only WIP (work in progress) are the batches in heat treat, now other batches at all only one pair at a time. Line speed is complete unit every 30 seconds....Then COIVID hit and orders fell off and yet to come back to full. All parts are 100% tracible to when and where they were produced. Even can tell you who touched every part at every operation. Perhaps you may not fully understand automotive production requirement today but I do not know you nor you know me. but I have been doing this for almost 50 years so I have seen huge changes in manufacturing since I started.
Appreciate 0