BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-05-2021, 03:05 PM   #1
njnets21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Auto Unlock/lock help

I do not have the feature turned on the automatically locks the car when you leave or unlocks when you approach, but today I was washing my car and it was constantly locking and unlocking. Seemed like maybe whenever I sprayed the door handle it registered a touch maybe. How do I keep this from happening??
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 03:12 PM   #2
CGG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05 x5

It was locking and unlocking because you likely had the keys in you pocket. It locked as you got closer and unlocked as you got further away. I just leave the keys on the passenger seat to stop the problem. Alternatively leave the keys outside on a shelf etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 03:15 PM   #3
njnets21
Lieutenant
Rep

Yea but I don't have the auto lock/unlock turned on so while the keys were indeed in my pocket, I'm supposed to be touching the door handle for it to lock or unlock. I guess the water hitting it replicated my touch but that's a little surprising. I'll leave the keys inside next time. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 04:35 PM   #4
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Sounds like you have Comfort Access and, yes, spraying the door handles will trigger the system resulting in it locking and unlocking multiple times.

Of course for this to occur you need the key fob in your pocket, so to prevent triggering the system, either place the key fob some distance away from the vehicle or, place the key fob in the vehicle.

A note on this last strategy. While Comfort Access is designed to prevent the vehicle from locking if the key fob is in the vehicle, BMW Genius advised to not count on this. Accordingly, if I am washing my X5 away from home and want to employ this strategy, I also bring my key card with me to have a secondary means of unlocking the vehicle in case it does lock.
Appreciate 2
njnets21245.00
mobilejo1113.00
      12-05-2021, 04:39 PM   #5
njnets21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
Sounds like you have Comfort Access and, yes, spraying the door handles will trigger the system resulting in it locking and unlocking multiple times.

Of course for this to occur you need the key fob in your pocket, so to prevent triggering the system, either place the key fob some distance away from the vehicle or, place the key fob in the vehicle.

A note on this last strategy. While Comfort Access is designed to prevent the vehicle from locking if the key fob is in the vehicle, BMW Genius advised to not count on this. Accordingly, if I am washing my X5 away from home and want to employ this strategy, I also bring my key card with me to have a secondary means of unlocking the vehicle in case it does lock.
Good call. I'd likely just use my phone as the backup in the event it locks me out. Love that capability.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 08:44 PM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnets21 View Post
Good call. I'd likely just use my phone as the backup in the event it locks me out. Love that capability.
i can confirm the vehicle can lock even with the key fob inside. having one's phone or key card nearby is convenient to have in such an incident. plus, because they aren't tied to Comfort Access, spraying the handle with water while washing shouldn't trigger those incessant locks and unlocks.
Appreciate 0