BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-27-2021, 11:30 PM   #1
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Those of you with a 50i, M50i, or X5M, what on earth do you do with all that power??

Okay so lets be real here, no one is taking their X5 to the track. so we are all basically commuting and cruising with these things, right? Anyway, I've never driven anything but the 6 cylinder, partly because I didn't want to know what I'm missing. But when the roads here are fairly open, I switch it to sport+ and its like almost a totally different vehicle. I realize that it's mostly due to the transmission programming, but it's so much more zippier.

but its so much faster, and it rockets me up well past the speed limit, to the point where I feel almost guilty leaving the mode on when the traffic tightens up. I cant imagine what i'd do with all that extra power in the V8 variants, nevermind the M competition models. So my question is, do you people who have these live out in the open country or something? where on earth are you able to consistently use all this power?
Appreciate 1
FCX52352.00
      11-28-2021, 12:55 AM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Most of the people on the board are not in Germany where on unlimited sections of the autobahn, they can satisfy their lust for speed...other than that, the I6 is more than enough. Now, maybe if you were pulling a heavy trailer and were ignoring the speed recommendations and wanted to pass everyone going up a mountain...that extra power might be handy. If you're using it to blast around traffic because you can, while maybe fun, it's not something that turns me on. If you misjudge a close situation, you really shouldn't put yourself in that situation in the first place...you're endangering not only yourself, but others on the road.
Appreciate 3
thereef5101163.00
volodp193.50
thomas_Rp126.00
      11-28-2021, 01:23 AM   #3
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
Okay so lets be real here, no one is taking their X5 to the track. so we are all basically commuting and cruising with these things, right? Anyway, I've never driven anything but the 6 cylinder, partly because I didn't want to know what I'm missing. But when the roads here are fairly open, I switch it to sport+ and its like almost a totally different vehicle. I realize that it's mostly due to the transmission programming, but it's so much more zippier.

but its so much faster, and it rockets me up well past the speed limit, to the point where I feel almost guilty leaving the mode on when the traffic tightens up. I cant imagine what i'd do with all that extra power in the V8 variants, nevermind the M competition models. So my question is, do you people who have these live out in the open country or something? where on earth are you able to consistently use all this power?
Have you checked on the Sports Display? It should show the HP and Torque. I've never seen it go beyond mid point ever.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 05:34 AM   #4
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:

So my question is, do you people who have these live out in the open country or something? where on earth are you able to consistently use all this power?
For me, at least in the US, it takes a region with 3 key ingredients:

(1.) Easy access to driver's roads

(2.) Mountains & Canyons

(3.) Motor culture

Here in the Bay Area, CA, or Orange County, CA you're never more than 20-30 min from some fantastic mountainous drives (e.g., all Smoking Tire one-takes are shot here) and despite Cali's left-coast rep, it's got the best motor culture of any state I've been to ... maybe only Texas rivals it, but most of Texas lacks for driver's roads.

It's extremely easy here to do unofficial driving events, group drives, and "pickup games" - certainly any weekend. 80% of the miles of my last 3 M3/4s were driven in anger nowhere near a track.

It's fairly easy to connect into a group and hang with a lot of people of like mind & cars, even just pickup style.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101163.00
      11-28-2021, 07:09 AM   #5
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

The I-6 is such a great engine - so smooth, nice sound when shifting hard in Sport+, plenty of power, and great MPG (we got same in our '19 as my parents' minivan). Got the M for driving dynamics as our 40i was fine but not especially fun (at least not compared to our prior 3 series) on the tight mountain roads near our place, also didn't hurt that the M wasn't as impacted by supply chain issues. V8 does sound great and does fit the personality of the M for sure, but it terms of everyday driving the only time I've "needed" the extra power is when merging onto highway behind a slow car or truck when cars on highway are coming up fast - you can kick it down two gears, merge into left lane, roll into throttle, and be back in the right lane before the slow car/truck has started their merge. "Had" to do that twice now. Both times my partner, who's not really into cars, slowly looked up and over at me with a big grin on his face. Did this before in the I-6 and although it was up for it, I was pushing the car. That behavior in the 40i didn't result in a grin but got me the you're-driving-like-an-idiot look.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101163.00
      11-28-2021, 07:36 AM   #6
dynamic
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Most of the people on the board are not in Germany where on unlimited sections of the autobahn, they can satisfy their lust for speed...other than that, the I6 is more than enough. Now, maybe if you were pulling a heavy trailer and were ignoring the speed recommendations and wanted to pass everyone going up a mountain...that extra power might be handy. If you're using it to blast around traffic because you can, while maybe fun, it's not something that turns me on. If you misjudge a close situation, you really shouldn't put yourself in that situation in the first place...you're endangering not only yourself, but others on the road.
I absolutely despise the aggressive drivers that you describe partly because I have personally witnessed this behavior result in horrendous crashes more than once. The majority of these narcissistic morons in this area are driving Hondas and Hyundais most with years and miles on them. You don't need 500 HP to be stupid.
I drove both the 40i and M50i back to back prior to ordering and came away with no interest whatsoever in the 40i. It is not about top speed, drag racing or anything close to that. The 550+ ft lbs of torque is experienced and enjoyed every time you touch the accelerator to any degree. The 4.4.L twin turbo V8 in its refined, current form is absolutely magnificent as many will attest to. The X5 in V8 is a joy to drive as it moves its 5,000 lb+ weight effortlessly and with driver confidence.
The M50i is not just about power and a superior driving experience, it comes with a raft of other upgrades that more than justify a $20K higher price tag.
Lots of sour grapes and some outright buyers remorse on here as evidenced by the continuos rationalizations concerning the choice of the base model 40i which is a fine vehicle just not the level of the M50i.
Appreciate 8
      11-28-2021, 07:41 AM   #7
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

This is a Karen topic…
Appreciate 5
Russ103300.50
JMAN1111227.00
ksavostin124.50
Burnt C6257.50
BigHunk269.50
      11-28-2021, 07:45 AM   #8
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
You know. On ramps and Mexico and stuff.
Appreciate 3
Russ103300.50
JMAN1111227.00
JMD628.50
      11-28-2021, 07:48 AM   #9
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

Owners of electric cars know better.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 07:49 AM   #10
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

I simply buy the biggest engine I can afford in any car I own. Why? Well, first, it's being a product of the '60's era muscle car timeframe and second, I believe a more powerful engine lives an easier life with less stress to itself and third, the power is there if/when I need it.
Appreciate 4
thereef5101163.00
Russ103300.50
JMAN1111227.00
      11-28-2021, 07:57 AM   #11
dynamic
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
I simply buy the biggest engine I can afford in any car I own. Why? Well, first, it's being a product of the '60's era muscle car timeframe and second, I believe a more powerful engine lives an easier life with less stress to itself and third, the power is there if/when I need it.
EXACTLY!
There are a few here who just don't get it and probably never will.
Appreciate 3
thereef5101163.00
Russ103300.50
JMAN1111227.00
      11-28-2021, 08:17 AM   #12
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

This is likes asking if your too rich$$.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 10:15 AM   #13
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
This is a Karen topic…
I pride myself on not being a troll. I'm genuinely curious about the reasons why city folk would opt for this. I want to justify it for my next vehicle
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 10:25 AM   #14
cscones
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
I pride myself on not being a troll. I'm genuinely curious about the reasons why city folk would opt for this. I want to justify it for my next vehicle
The answer is, “just drive one and you will understand instantly”. I also started test driving the I6 and agreed it was all I needed. However after one pump on the accelerator of the V8 I knew the M50i would be *the* vehicle. If you can’t/don’t want to put down the extra 20k for the M50i it is probably best to not test drive one .
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 10:35 AM   #15
Melbourne_X5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50ix M Sport

I grew up in the Motor City during the initial Muscle Car era. I was hooked on the V8 long before I could legally drive.

I love my 4.4L for the effortless power whenever I want or need it. Living in far west Texas we have mountains, open roads, tons of stupid drivers from Mexico, etc. Prior to living here, we lived in Kansas just off a busy state highway where the visibility of fast-moving, oncoming traffic, was less than ideal. The extra power comes in handy. On most drives, the power is left unused, but knowing it is always there when I desire is comforting and FUN!!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 10:35 AM   #16
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscones
The answer is, "just drive one and you will understand instantly". I also started test driving the I6 and agreed it was all I needed. However after one pump on the accelerator of the V8 I knew the M50i would be *the* vehicle. If you can't/don't want to put down the extra 20k for the M50i it is probably best to not test drive one .
Precisely why I haven't driven one yet. But I also live in a city that's fully stop and go traffic and I'm not someone who has ever taken a long scenic drive around twisty roads. Usually I only drive with a destination in mind. I can now totally appreciate why if you have access or an interest in that would justify getting the bigger engine
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 10:58 AM   #17
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

1. I love the feeling or power and having it on tap whenever I want. Having a TT V8 is truly a rarity these days and will be even more so in the next 5 years. Mercedes and Audi pretty much said these are their last v8's. BMW too most likely.
2. I love the prestige of having a real M
3. Its definitely a compliment getter/attention getter. At every red light I have people staring on me/my car. I see people taking pictures of it, even in parking lots.

People pay this kind of money for attention and the car sure attracts it.

Its all about having the top of line in the trim line.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101163.00
      11-28-2021, 11:21 AM   #18
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:

Even when they don't use the extra power, the more powerful engine gives the car a different feel. That feeling is a true luxury item. It is of no practical use, no rational reason to pay more for it, but a nice thing to have nonetheless.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101163.00
      11-28-2021, 11:43 AM   #19
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

To me, it’s the occasional full-throttle stoplight getaways that never stop putting a huge smile on my face. These grin-inducing opportunities abound everywhere, like freeway on-ramps, back-country roads and the need to pass a big rig in a hurry.

While I don’t condone breaking any traffic laws, going from zero to reckless driving can occur in a blink of an eye in these beasts. The capabilities are truly astonishing for such a large SUV and it never ceases to amaze me when I smash on that throttle.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101163.00
      11-28-2021, 11:46 AM   #20
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

As one other commenter noted…V8s are being phased out…even Stellantis’ chief stated the Hellcat engine is going away in a few years

Of course I don’t use every single ounce of power at my disposal…but as Gusgott mentioned…fun with these engines doesn’t have to be driven in a straight line

We can ask this question on so many other things: why does someone need a 500hp 2 seater car like a corvette? At least my x5 can seat 5, so a Costco run, and tow a boat. Why does someone need a Rolex watch? Our phones tell us the exact time and don’t need to be wound up or maintained?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 11:46 AM   #21
Fahrfun
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
Precisely why I haven't driven one yet. But I also live in a city that's fully stop and go traffic and I'm not someone who has ever taken a long scenic drive around twisty roads. Usually I only drive with a destination in mind. I can now totally appreciate why if you have access or an interest in that would justify getting the bigger engine
It sounds like a dilemma between an emotional and an intellectual decision. If you are gravitating towards the former, then sufficient validation has already been given in favor of the V8, albeit at the expense of a somewhat perceptive dynamic weight penalty without DHP. If on the other hand you are approaching this question strictly intellectually… city living, transportation appliance only, short to medium range travel… and need to wear the BMW SAV badge, then you might hold off a bit longer to compare with an upcoming iX 40 and 50 as well. Just my one cent opinion.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 11:52 AM   #22
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

We are talking about German luxury vehicles, the purchase decision is not a utilitarian one. Otherwise we would all be driving some sort of Honda or Toyota, and even then someone would say "why purchase that when you can ride the bus or a bike"? If you're in this segment, you have the means and you'll have it because you want it, not because you will use 100% of its capability.
Appreciate 2