BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-29-2021, 08:33 PM   #1
skindoc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 M50i

Apple Watch Key

2022 BMW X6 M50i

I have the Digital Key on my iPhone and was thinking about getting an Apple Watch. If I added the Digital Key to the Apple Watch, would I have to take it off and place it on the wireless pad in order to start the car? I imagine the unlocking of the door would work well.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 09:35 PM   #2
cantgobak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skindoc View Post
2022 BMW X6 M50i

I have the Digital Key on my iPhone and was thinking about getting an Apple Watch. If I added the Digital Key to the Apple Watch, would I have to take it off and place it on the wireless pad in order to start the car? I imagine the unlocking of the door would work well.
Quote:
2022 BMW X6 M50i

Yes, you can use Apple Watch to lock/unlock the door from the driver side and it works 100% of the time for me, same as with my iPhone. Although someone on this forum as well as my wife did not have 100% success rate. I don't believe you can use the watch to start the car though (others here can correct me if I'm wrong) and it also defeats the purpose of the Apple Watch in my opinion, but you can do both with an iPhone…. For me, since we almost always have either our phones or watch with us at all times, it's just a convenience to use either a watch or a phone to lock/unlock the door when I need to enter my vehicle and I don't have physical key fob with me, whether it be in a parking lot somewhere or my home garage…
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 06:37 AM   #3
HuskerNSC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

I have started my X5 with my Apple Watch without fail. You have to hold it as close as possible to the tray and press the button. Luckily for me, I wear the watch on my right wrist.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 10:38 AM   #4
cantgobak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerNSC View Post
I have started my X5 with my Apple Watch without fail. You have to hold it as close as possible to the tray and press the button. Luckily for me, I wear the watch on my right wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerNSC View Post
NICE! Thanks for correcting me! I never thought to try it and I do wear it on my left! The manual also didn't mention or I missed it! 😀
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:03 AM   #5
Bearco
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantgobak View Post
Yes, you can use Apple Watch to lock/unlock the door from the driver side and it works 100% of the time for me, same as with my iPhone. Although someone on this forum as well as my wife did not have 100% success rate. I don't believe you can use the watch to start the car though (others here can correct me if I'm wrong) and it also defeats the purpose of the Apple Watch in my opinion, but you can do both with an iPhone…. For me, since we almost always have either our phones or watch with us at all times, it's just a convenience to use either a watch or a phone to lock/unlock the door when I need to enter my vehicle and I don't have physical key fob with me, whether it be in a parking lot somewhere or my home garage…
This is a great idea. I get in my car once in a while in the garage to load it up, etc. I was thinking how annoying it will be if I use the auto lock feature when you walk away with the fob, but if I didn't have keys on me in the garage, it would be locked. I always have my apple watch on, so now I don't have to disable the autolock feature!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 02:23 PM   #6
skindoc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 M50i

To bypass the need to put the watch close to the pad to start up, what if I left the key fob in the car at all times and just locked/unlocked with the watch/phone all the time? I know I have used my phone in the past to lock/unlock the car when my fob was in the car. Any ideas? (Besides the security aspect of leaving a fob in the car all the time)
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 04:19 PM   #7
cantgobak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To bypass the need to put the watch close to the pad to start up, what if I left the key fob in the car at all times and just locked/unlocked with the watch/phone all the time? I know I have used my phone in the past to lock/unlock the car when my fob was in the car. Any ideas? (Besides the security aspect of leaving a fob in the car all the time)
Quote:
Won't go into the security aspect of it as I'm sure the risk… just from purely technical standpoint though, it should not let you lock the door unless you leave it in the cargo area / trunk. Though I have not tried to do that with the watch but for sure you wouldn't be able to lock it with the key fob if the other key fob is in the sitting area. I also know for sure about the key fob in the cargo area because my wife accidentally left it in the jacket which was in the cargo area and the car was locked when I walked away…
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 10:31 AM   #8
EdvardCalen
Rep
Drives: Bmw m6

it is apple))
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 02:11 PM   #9
txmav83
Rep
Drives: 2001 330i; 2011 335i; 2021 X5

sorry for the simple question, but how do you set it up so that you can use your apple watch?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 02:53 PM   #10
cantgobak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmav83 View Post
sorry for the simple question, but how do you set it up so that you can use your apple watch?

Thanks in advance for your help.
txmav83 I don't recall the exact steps, but you have to setup it via My BMW app. There is a "BMW Digital Key" tile (4th tile) right below lock / unlock / highlight / horn / start climatization buttons. Then I believe you click on Manage in Apple Wallet and it should give you directions to setup digital key on iPhone. Once it's setup, Apple watch should sync with iPhone automatically.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 12:22 PM   #11
txmav83
Rep
Drives: 2001 330i; 2011 335i; 2021 X5

Thanks. I will try that.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 04:23 AM   #12
walkday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
My solution: activate the Keycard

Unlock the door with my Apple Watch
Put the Keycard on the NFC tray
Drive away

Stop and stash the Keycard
Lock the door with my Apple Watch
Walk away
Appreciate 0