BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-02-2021, 01:27 PM   #1
jlinn1
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Ambient Light Help - Blown led?

Hi All. Need some help if anyone has had experience with this. I replaced the center console trim piece because of a nastily scratch on it. Plugged everything back in and noticed the left side LED flickered green than never came on again.

I ordered a new LED thinking it blue. I installed it and still nothing. I looked at the harness and don't see any pinched wires. Is each LED controlled by a module of something? I doubt a brand new LED would be bad. Interestingly, I plugged both the new LED and Old LED on the right side and they wouldn't light there either. I'm at a loss at what could be going on. Figured I'd try here first if anyone has ever encountered this.

Any ideas? Thanks Guys.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 05:06 PM   #2
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

I’m sure you can attach a current limited power supply to one of your suspect LED modules to see if you get any light. That would narrow it down. Seems like there should be 4 maybe 5 pins on the connector for the LED strips, RGB and maybe W plus ground. Can you take a picture of the connector for the LED strip?

Also, have you tried going through all the colors options in iDrive, not just the blue?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 09:42 PM   #3
jlinn1
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Thanks for the reco. I tried plugging in the new LED to the other working side before and it wouldn't light. Also tried cycling through the different colors and got the same. I'll snap a pic of the connector next time I'm out there. It think it was 3 pin connector. Thanks again for tips.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 05:55 AM   #4
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlinn1 View Post
Thanks for the reco. I tried plugging in the new LED to the other working side before and it wouldn't light. Also tried cycling through the different colors and got the same. I'll snap a pic of the connector next time I'm out there. It think it was 3 pin connector. Thanks again for tips.
If it’s a three pin it sounds like the LED strip receives some sort of signal on one pin, and then ground and power on the other two meaning it’s an active part with decoding circuitry in it. It possible that decoding part in the strips has gotten damaged maybe with a reverse polarity condition.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 12:54 PM   #5
IFlyX5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 s40i, '22 X5 x45e

Did you try plugging in the old LED on the left side to see if it is working? That would narrow down to the new LED being bad both times. I know you mentioned plugging in both old/new LED on the right, but try the left side.
      12-05-2021, 12:07 PM   #6
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyX5 View Post
Did you try plugging in the old LED on the left side to see if it is working? That would narrow down to the new LED being bad both times. I know you mentioned plugging in both old/new LED on the right, but try the left side.
It’s a little hard to follow but I believe the poster had both old and new on BOTH sides already.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 02:20 PM   #7
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

I think I'm a pretty smart dude - then I read posts from some of you geniuses.

Like the wife doesn't make me seem dumb enough as it is….
Appreciate 1
1230vani648.50