01-29-2020, 03:46 PM   #45
MoeMo87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435xi, M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
RaceChip already have the tune for M50i and I have them in stock too.
I heard BMW now warranties Race Chip tune?
I think it started in November of 2019, is this true? I haven't heard of any details yet
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 03:51 PM   #46
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMo87 View Post
Quote:
I think it started in November of 2019, is this true? I haven't heard of any details yet
It is the other way around.
BMW never honor their warranty with any aftermarket products.
What it is, RaceChip offers engine warranty.

Here is the detail on their website.

https://www.racechip.us/engine-warranty.html
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
MoeMo87183.50
      01-29-2020, 03:58 PM   #47
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:

Do you have before and after dynos of the tune on an M50i?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 04:03 PM   #48
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
Do you have before and after dynos of the tune on an M50i?
Nope, I have yet to have a local guy that will let me borrow his M50i for dyno.
I have 50i that I will arrange time for dyno.
Just need to take care my X3MC development first.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 04:05 PM   #49
MoeMo87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435xi, M550i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMo87 View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the link! Will take a look at it once I get home
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12906.00
      01-29-2020, 04:26 PM   #50
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nope, I have yet to have a local guy that will let me borrow his M50i for dyno.
I have 50i that I will arrange time for dyno.
Just need to take care my X3MC development first.
So no one has installed it on an M50i for testing? I am sorry, but it seems unwise to sell a product with no supporting info. No logs with timing, retard, boost, etc. Does it throw CEL? Can it fix CEL for catless downpipes?

It makes it awfully hard for a customer to take the jump when they don't know exactly what is going on in the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 04:48 PM   #51
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, M5's, 535.335, M550i

Garage List
So racechip covers a max of $7500 with the racechip warrantee?
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, filters, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
2024 i5 M60 Cape York Green
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 04:50 PM   #52
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
So no one has installed it on an M50i for testing? I am sorry, but it seems unwise to sell a product with no supporting info. No logs with timing, retard, boost, etc. Does it throw CEL? Can it fix CEL for catless downpipes?

It makes it awfully hard for a customer to take the jump when they don't know exactly what is going on in the car.
Sign me up for real world reviews as well. I've heard that all piggy back tunes do is "trick" the car and not sure how effective that really is.

In a related note you'd think RaceChip would have a dyno as well as YouTube video showing the increased performance. Otherwise they just seem like estimates and hyperbole to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 05:10 PM   #53
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll View Post
Sign me up for real world reviews as well. I've heard that all piggy back tunes do is "trick" the car and not sure how effective that really is.

In a related note you'd think RaceChip would have a dyno as well as YouTube video showing the increased performance. Otherwise they just seem like estimates and hyperbole to me.
From someone who has run both on a ton of cars, I can tell you each have value depending on the needs of the driver. Many of us have used JB4s on previous cars and it works extremely well. It allows easy map changing, methanol integration, CANBUS features, etc. Piggies accomplish the tuning by adjusting timing, fuel, boost, etc. but send a standard signal to the ECU so it sees things as normal. All standard protective features on the motor generally work and work very well. The negative for piggybacks is that you have to add a piggy ecu that can easily be detected and seen by the dealer. Another negative is they can throw CEL at times.

Flashes are going to be a bit more elegant. Many flash the ecu easily with an "at home" flasher, but some of the more complicated ECU have flash counters that can tip off your dealer. They adjust the things like fuel, timing, and boost directly in the ECU so targets hit. All factory ECU protection features are in play. There is no altering any signal to the ECU because the work is done in the ECU. One negative is no CANBUS integration, so you cannot hijack anything on the dash unless it is directly coded in the flash. For me, this car has SOOOO many cool features already integrated that CANBUS integration isn't a huge deal.

My preference is a flash to be honest, but I am not seeing many, if any options. I am surprised considering how easily it will be to get big numbers from this vehicle. I think many would jump in a second.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 05:49 PM   #54
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thank you for your concern.

First, M50i is less than a year old.
Second, not a lot of G05 X5 / G07 X7 customers modding their stable yet. I was surprised about it since its turnout is not as fast as F15/F16 X5/X6. I was in the first year of F15 X5 ownership and guys been contacting and bugging me for mods.
Third, not many customers willing to lend me their car so I can drive it 20 miles to get dyno done. Nor willing or have time to do a dyno on themselves. Main reason, it is hard to find an AWD dyno. Even my recent customer in northern california just got RaceChip installed on his F92 M8, but having a hard time finding an AWD dyno shop.

CEL wise, no it won't throw CEL as long as your engine is healthy.

It is piggyback system, it doesn't intrusive to ECU to fix CEL for catless downpipe.
Also, RaceChip is TUV approved product and company, they can't do CEL delete to get TUV certification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyDaddy View Post
So racechip covers a max of $7500 with the racechip warrantee?
Yes, it is the current initial number.
But, they are considering in increasing the limit.

Quote:
From someone who has run both on a ton of cars, I can tell you each have value depending on the needs of the driver. Many of us have used JB4s on previous cars and it works extremely well. It allows easy map changing, methanol integration, CANBUS features, etc. Piggies accomplish the tuning by adjusting timing, fuel, boost, etc. but send a standard signal to the ECU so it sees things as normal. All standard protective features on the motor generally work and work very well. The negative for piggybacks is that you have to add a piggy ecu that can easily be detected and seen by the dealer. Another negative is they can throw CEL at times.

Flashes are going to be a bit more elegant. Many flash the ecu easily with an "at home" flasher, but some of the more complicated ECU have flash counters that can tip off your dealer. They adjust the things like fuel, timing, and boost directly in the ECU so targets hit. All factory ECU protection features are in play. There is no altering any signal to the ECU because the work is done in the ECU. One negative is no CANBUS integration, so you cannot hijack anything on the dash unless it is directly coded in the flash. For me, this car has SOOOO many cool features already integrated that CANBUS integration isn't a huge deal.

My preference is a flash to be honest, but I am not seeing many, if any options. I am surprised considering how easily it will be to get big numbers from this vehicle. I think many would jump in a second.
That is a good comparison.

FYI, CEL is not a bad thing. CEL is there to notify you that something is not right and Check the Engine before things goes badly wrong.

With 5 years on the clock in selling RaceChip, here what I can say.
- Yes, the older generation product, RaceChip Ultimate, do throw CEL when it is adjusted a wrong way. The older generation allows you to overboost. Customers always told not to go beyond certain settings, but someone will always want to know what is going to happen.
- Now with Gen 2 design, the RS, GTS, and GTS Black are preset internally. So even with the highest map (map 7), you will still be in the safe zone where the engineers in Germany has done R&D and road test. Then, RaceChip USA team or I will confirm the compatibility with US spec vehicle. Whether we need to tune it down or up before it can be finalize for US market.
And since the Gen 2 released almost 3 years ago, I haven't seen any single CEL caused by the module itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll View Post

You can check other subforums on end users experience on RaceChip.
Here are the guys that I've sold RaceChip to.
- F15/F16 X5/X6 from sDrive35i, xDrive35i, xDrive35d, xDrive50i
- F85/F86 X5M/X6M
- F90 M5 includes competition
- Some G01/G02 X3/X4
- Some G30 M550i

I even personally been using it. Currently using it on my F97 X3M Competition.

Here is the link to my build. It have dyno result too.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1687598

Edit:
If someone local to me and willing to lend me the car, I'll work something out.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 06:30 PM   #55
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, M5's, 535.335, M550i

Garage List
In all honesty RC looks to have come a long way. They have vids backing up claims. The new V8 engines 2020's are brand spanking new and not a lot of options out there. I think it's safe to say just because the engine is in the X5 doesn't mean you can't use stats from the 2020 M550's since it's a shared engine.
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, filters, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
2024 i5 M60 Cape York Green
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12906.00
      01-29-2020, 08:41 PM   #56
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyDaddy View Post
In all honesty RC looks to have come a long way. They have vids backing up claims. The new V8 engines 2020's are brand spanking new and not a lot of options out there. I think it's safe to say just because the engine is in the X5 doesn't mean you can't use stats from the 2020 M550's since it's a shared engine.
It has been tested and installed to a few customers by RaceChip Germany and RaceChip USA.
Just not on my end.

I have sold at least 1 unit to G07 X7 M50i.

I have tried to get some local guys for some other products testing, such as, grill and coding.
But no luck until my repeat good customer bought G05 X5 and G07 X7.
Unfortunately, they picked it up before M50i comes out.

So, again, I have no data on my end, but it has been tested and approved by both RaceChip USA and RaceChip Germany.

I'll see if I can get a dyno sheet from Germany.
But based on my experience, it is very controversial since they have higher octane and most likely already equipped with OPF, and the reading is by ps / kw.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 09:03 PM   #57
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It has been tested and installed to a few customers by RaceChip Germany and RaceChip USA.
Just not on my end.

I have tried to get some local guys for some other products testing, such as, grill and coding.

So, again, I have no data on my end, but it has been tested and approved by both RaceChip USA and RaceChip Germany.

But based on my experience, it is very controversial since they have higher octane and most likely already equipped with OPF, and the reading is by ps / kw.
We just need to see the delta and full dyno sheet. We need to see logs. How much they are increasing the boost.

The delta shows everything and should give us a good understanding of what to expect.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12906.00
      01-29-2020, 09:05 PM   #58
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Just not on my end.

We just need to see the delta and full dyno sheet. We need to see logs. How much they are increasing the boost.

The delta shows everything and should give us a good understanding of what to expect.
Will get as much information as you can from them.
I hope they can provide.

Otherwise, my offer still stand to someone local that willing to lend me the car and I'll work something out.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 09:33 PM   #59
Fast Intentions
RELAPSED MOD ADDICT
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 F80 *202 F97*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim2189 View Post
Any performance Mods out yet?
Such a fiend lmao

What happened to "I'm satisfied no more mods" LOL
:seesaw:
Mods: Evolution Racewerkes Downpipes / Maximum PSI Front Mount Intakes / Active Autowerkes Mid Pipe / JB4 Stage 3 (Bluetooth) / BMS Meth Kit / AKRAPOVIC CF Tips / VORSTEINER VFF101 Wrapped in Hankook Ventus V12.2's / BMS 12/15MM Spacers Mode Carbon Spoiler / M Performance CF Lip / RW DTM CF Diffuser / RW CF Mirrors / RW CF Fender Inserts / RW CF Grills
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12906.00
      02-01-2020, 04:27 PM   #60
x5m50i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5m50i View Post
First mod done: coding the instrument cluster to 330km/h
They are developing the downpipes with 200cell cats now, should be ready in about a week. After that, the software development begins. OPF will also be removed along with the mid-resonator.

I will come back with updates and dyno as soon as they provide them to me
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 11:29 PM   #61
ntnjholdings
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5m50i View Post
They are developing the downpipes with 200cell cats now, should be ready in about a week. After that, the software development begins. OPF will also be removed along with the mid-resonator.

I will come back with updates and dyno as soon as they provide them to me
Who is doing your work? I just received my M50i - what a truck! Previously had an APR stage II RS7 so need more juice!!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 04:57 AM   #62
x5m50i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntnjholdings View Post
Who is doing your work? I just received my M50i - what a truck! Previously had an APR stage II RS7 so need more juice!!
G-Power themselves
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:23 PM   #63
ntnjholdings
Rep

Quote:
Will get as much information as you can from them.
I hope they can provide.

Otherwise, my offer still stand to someone local that willing to lend me the car and I'll work something out.
Any updates on the tune guys?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:44 PM   #64
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntnjholdings View Post
Any updates on the tune guys?
Just sent another inquiry about it to German.
Most likely they don't have it. X5 size SUV is not common in Europe.
And they much be filthy rich to have 50i or M50i since they tax it based on engine size too.

So, again. Anyone local, who is willing to let me borrow their X5 M50i or X7 M50i to dyno. Please PM me.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 09:14 PM   #65
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
And they much be filthy rich to have 50i or M50i since they tax it based on engine size too.

So, again. Anyone local, who is willing to let me borrow their X5 M50i or X7 M50i to dyno. Please PM me.
Why don't you guys team up with a vehicle to test this. It doesn't need to be local necessarily. I would assume a piggy will be PNP or at least just pulling a few pins.

There are also rumors BootMod3 is working on something. That would be a highly desirable option.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 09:19 PM   #66
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Why don't you guys team up with a vehicle to test this. It doesn't need to be local necessarily. I would assume a piggy will be PNP or at least just pulling a few pins.

There are also rumors BootMod3 is working on something. That would be a highly desirable option.
It seems like no one not local willing to pull the trigger. That's why there is an argument asking me to get some data.
Even though I have mentioned that I have sold a few on M50i both G05 and G07 chassis.

BM3 may work on one. It is another great option.
There are pro and con for each options.
Appreciate 0