BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #1
poppop
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i TBII

Dealers’ service dept loyalty

Has anyone run into a situation where a dealer’s service dept has been told by their sales dept not to give you normal service attention because you bought you vehicle elsewhere? I hope to buy my X05 at the nearest dealer, but will not if they don’t play ball; they will know I went elsewhere during my negotiations.
I have not experienced this yet, but this will be my first BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #2
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppop View Post
Has anyone run into a situation where a dealer’s service dept has been told by their sales dept not to give you normal service attention because you bought you vehicle elsewhere? I hope to buy my X05 at the nearest dealer, but will not if they don’t play ball; they will know I went elsewhere during my negotiations.
I have not experienced this yet, but this will be my first BMW.
People are people so anything is possible, but dealerships as a whole don't make that much money on sales and service revenue is critical. It would be one dumbass dealership that wouldn't service your car to get paid either on warranty by BMW or by you directly.
      08-11-2019, 05:22 PM   #3
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Generally, a car dealership runs as, in effect, three separate companies; used sales, new sales, and service. Of course, there can be exceptions, but each company, for the most part, runs on its own.

So the service department will probably be more than happy to take money out of your pocket or warrantee.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 08:34 PM   #4
poppop
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i TBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan321 View Post
Generally, a car dealership runs as, in effect, three separate companies; used sales, new sales, and service. Of course, there can be exceptions, but each company, for the most part, runs on its own.

So the service department will probably be more than happy to take money out of your pocket or warrantee.
Thanks. I hoped BMW service departments have their own profit centers like other car dealers I have dealt with; just needed BMW experienced owners that were familiar with the BMW culture.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 08:40 PM   #5
mrichione
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Yes, this is definitely a reality. Just moved to FL and our local dealership openly acknowledges they prioritize vehicles purchased from them, and they will not provide a service loaner to those purchases at other dealerships, whether or not the vehicle is under warranty. The one concession they make is for customers who recently moved to the area and obviously couldn't have purchased their vehicle from the dealership. You're still not prioritized, though, and depending on the client advisor, you may be charged a nominal loaner fee.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 09:15 PM   #6
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrichione View Post
Yes, this is definitely a reality. Just moved to FL and our local dealership openly acknowledges they prioritize vehicles purchased from them, and they will not provide a service loaner to those purchases at other dealerships, whether or not the vehicle is under warranty. The one concession they make is for customers who recently moved to the area and obviously couldn't have purchased their vehicle from the dealership. You're still not prioritized, though, and depending on the client advisor, you may be charged a nominal loaner fee.
Wow. I would find another dealer. Plenty of reasons ppl don't service their car at the same dealer they bought. What if you move to a different part of town? What if you want to service your car close to where you work? What if you bought your car used? I can't believe a service dept would have a tiered system. Hopefully that's not your only convenient dealer b/c I would not give them my business.
Appreciate 1
Habsone73.50
      08-11-2019, 10:17 PM   #7
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrichione View Post
I don't believe this. I suspect they're talking nonsense to get your sales business.

Remember every service appointment gets a customer satisfaction survey. The SA and dealer would be nuts to intentionally risk poor scores.

Care to share the name of this dealer?
      10-06-2019, 06:07 AM   #8
Habsone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine

2019 X5 is my 4th SAV since 2012. None of them purchased or leased at my local dealership BMW of Asheville,NC and they know it. They are the most professional people i have work with. Every time I take my SAV for service, loaner is provided.

They tell me just bring my vehicle at their dealership for service.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 05:43 PM   #9
wdlvega
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

I’ve luckily not had any issues, I’ve purchased 5 vehicles in SC but lived in NYC, later in SC and now in GA. All dealerships are “different” just be cool and calm headed and be professional and you will be treated as such. If you have an issue, speak to a manager in a level-headed tone to address your situation. If you still get nowhere go to a different dealership or contact BMW USA.

I cannot stress enough, treat whomever you speak to as you want to be treated and you should see a difference. At least it has worked for me
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5849.00