BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #1
No1ufgator
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Uploading Contacts - Android

I purchased my X5 in February and have a Motorola Android phone. At the time, I did not have much trouble in properly connecting and having contacts uploaded for voice control/display purposes. I recently had the same phone wiped and new sim card installed for other reasons. Ever since then, I can get the phone to connect via Bluetooth, but cannot get the Contacts to load. Prior to yesterday, when trying to do this it would act like that the upload was in process but nothing would ever happen. I just took my car to dealer for service since the Radiator flaps malfunctioned, and at the same time had them upgrade to the latest July iDrive update. I am not getting the attached message, which is weird, as I can make calls through Bluetooth, etc. I have tried deleting the phone from iDrive, restarting the phone, etc....Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 02:32 PM   #2
mpiscitello
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Similar thing happened to me - Samsung S8. Contacts loaded when first paired, but after a week I had the same screen as you.
Tried deleting phone and reconnecting, etc. several times. I think when I connected to the car's WiFi is when it "reset" itself and the contacts were there again. Sorry that I can't be more specific, because it was very frustrating, but just seemed to start working again.
On a side note, I notice when connected via Bluetooth, the Apps icon on the phone settings screen is greyed out. But when you also connect via WiFi, it lights up - but doesn't seem to do anything regarding using apps on my phone etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 06:19 AM   #3
No1ufgator
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Thanks...I tried your method as well, and still having issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 01:04 PM   #4
Mr_Lebedev
Russia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d G05

I think, better to delete phone from car's system and repair again.
pls, do not forget agreed with access code at phone and give full access to phone (incl, contacts)
      02-21-2020, 08:44 AM   #5
x5randy
Rep

This just happened to me on a 2019 G05.

Wouldn't upload Android Note 9 or Note 10 contacts - they were there 2 days ago.

Called the BMW Genius - wasn't - so he couldn't help me.

Did you find a 'fix'?

Last edited by x5randy; 02-21-2020 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
x5randy
Rep

Found the FIX

I had an issue 6 months ago with the backup camera and that Genius sent me reboot instructions. I figured 'what the heck' and tried it and it fixed my phone/contacts issue.

Here are those instructions:

We recommend rebooting your iDrive by turning the engine on and leaving the vehicle in park and then pressing and holding the volume knob in for roughly twenty seconds or until the screen turns off. Once the screen turns off, you can release the volume knob and the iDrive will reboot.

Once the iDrive screen reboot is complete, we recommend updating the Apps and Services in your vehicle by following these steps:

- Start from the Main Menu of the iDrive screen and select "Apps".
- Select the "Options" button located near the iDrive controller.
- Select "Update Apps and Services" and wait for the data transfer to complete before pressing OK
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 12:49 PM   #7
FlyFastLiveSlow
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1ufgator View Post
I purchased my X5 in February and have a Motorola Android phone. At the time, I did not have much trouble in properly connecting and having contacts uploaded for voice control/display purposes. I recently had the same phone wiped and new sim card installed for other reasons. Ever since then, I can get the phone to connect via Bluetooth, but cannot get the Contacts to load. Prior to yesterday, when trying to do this it would act like that the upload was in process but nothing would ever happen. I just took my car to dealer for service since the Radiator flaps malfunctioned, and at the same time had them upgrade to the latest July iDrive update. I am not getting the attached message, which is weird, as I can make calls through Bluetooth, etc. I have tried deleting the phone from iDrive, restarting the phone, etc....Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
I hope you got the issue fixed. If not, this should do it (It worked on my Galaxy S8):

On your PHONE:
- Go into the bluetooth settings
- Tap on the settings icon for your BMW
- In the list of items for the phone's use, make sure "Contact access" is selected
- If necessary, disconnect and reconnect the bluetooth connection (just the connection, not unpair)

I did this and and my contacts loaded right away.
Appreciate 0