2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
How to remove ceramic coating from windshield

Sorry
Post moved to "Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs"

Last edited by motex; 08-20-2019 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 08:25 PM   #2
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
I had a Ceramic Pro detail, and they also did the windows. I just noticed in low-angle lighting the windshield shows what look like microchips or crystals throughout the glass. Invisible in most light, but particularly distracting just before sunset, and impossible to clean off with anything I've found. Contacted Ceramic Pro and awaiting reply.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 10:18 PM   #3
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
I had a Ceramic Pro detail, and they also did the windows. I just noticed in low-angle lighting the windshield shows what look like microchips or crystals throughout the glass. Invisible in most light, but particularly distracting just before sunset, and impossible to clean off with anything I've found. Contacted Ceramic Pro and awaiting reply.
Please post your findings
      10-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #4
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So far nothing from Ceramic Pro. I'll contact my installer and ask - I think I can live with it, and I now think the appearance is just part of the product, but I'm not seeing any benefit to a ceramic coating on the glass. At the most it provides some dubious protection to the glass (it certainly won't prevent chipping from a rock hitting the windshield, but might prevent minor scratches), and it does mean that your windshield will never appear perfectly clear, nor can you clean it again to a transparent state without removing the coating (I assume by claying or polishing).
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 12:52 PM   #5
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So far nothing from Ceramic Pro. I'll contact my installer and ask - I think I can live with it, and I now think the appearance is just part of the product, but I'm not seeing any benefit to a ceramic coating on the glass. At the most it provides some dubious protection to the glass (it certainly won't prevent chipping from a rock hitting the windshield, but might prevent minor scratches), and it does mean that your windshield will never appear perfectly clear, nor can you clean it again to a transparent state without removing the coating (I assume by claying or polishing).
I have been told that sooner or later, ceramic coating will dissipate, so it is just a matter of time for glass to return to its original behavior.
I've been using Rain-X for at least 30 years now, that's a great product, I really made a mistake letting put ceramic on my wife's Q5
      11-15-2019, 08:10 AM   #6
jojo t
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Hi there. I just joined this forum a few minutes ago, so this is my first post, so be gentle.

I was told by the guy who does my ceramic coatings that 95% alcohol will remove the ceramic coating from the windshield.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #7
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Thanks mate will try it
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 09:29 AM   #8
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojot View Post
Hi there. I just joined this forum a few minutes ago, so this is my first post, so be gentle.

I was told by the guy who does my ceramic coatings that 95% alcohol will remove the ceramic coating from the windshield.

Hope that helps.
Actually, no it doesn't. I haven't found anything to remove it, but glass polishing products do, although with some effort. One product that mitigates the effects (which seem to consist of a sort of internal frosty appearance in low-angle lighting and loss of clarity) - and someone mentioned it before - is Esoteric Car Care's POLISHANGEL Diver Glass Cleaner. Expensive product, but you only need a small amount, and it does polish and seal the glass so that the clarity is improved. Again I'm not seeing a significant advantage in coating the glass with ceramic, and several disadvantages. A number of aftermarket products "protect" the glass, and aren't nearly so difficult to get rid of, and glass itself is pretty durable, particularly tempered glass.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 11:00 AM   #9
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Actually, no it doesn't. I haven't found anything to remove it, but glass polishing products do, although with some effort. One product that mitigates the effects (which seem to consist of a sort of internal frosty appearance in low-angle lighting and loss of clarity) - and someone mentioned it before - is Esoteric Car Care's POLISHANGEL Diver Glass Cleaner. Expensive product, but you only need a small amount, and it does polish and seal the glass so that the clarity is improved. Again I'm not seeing a significant advantage in coating the glass with ceramic, and several disadvantages. A number of aftermarket products "protect" the glass, and aren't nearly so difficult to get rid of, and glass itself is pretty durable, particularly tempered glass.
Thanks, definitely was a mistake from my side to let the guy convince me to do the ceramic coat on the front windshield on my wife's car .
I have been using Rain-X for over 30 years and works as they say, they also have a glass cleaner (with some RainX on the formula), and a great product called Shower door Xtreme Clean polish (https://www.rainx.com/product/for-th.../#.Xc7Y2leeTcs)
      02-19-2020, 01:52 PM   #10
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Probably the only way to remove it is machine polish with rayon pad. Something like CarPro CeriGlass and rayon pad. It's messy, lots of dust so cover and tape off all black areas.

Appreciate 0