BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #45
sdfischer
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 and 2018 540i

Absolutely, positively not working. I got in a blind parking spot today and started to pull out in front of other cars several tiomes. NOTHING!! Quit when I very nearly hit a guy. No, trailer mode is not on and I might not have been moving all the time but that is BS too. My 540i does okay and my GMC and Jeep products do a great and sensitive job, moving or not! For the first time in my 72 years I will be turning this new vehicale in if they tell me it's working. Hard to say how angry I am with BMW at the moment...big SAFETY issue.
Appreciate 1
X54TH891.50
      07-22-2019, 12:31 PM   #46
sdfischer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X54TH View Post
I didn't realize until I read this that the camera needs to be activated for the cross traffic to work. This explains why I thought mine wasn't working. The technology is not as advanced as I thought. My 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit is far more technically advanced than this and about $20k cheaper.
My 2015 Summit did a terrific job on this, the 2019 X5 nothing! Scary!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 12:56 PM   #47
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfischer View Post
Quote:
I didn't realize until I read this that the camera needs to be activated for the cross traffic to work. This explains why I thought mine wasn't working. The technology is not as advanced as I thought. My 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit is far more technically advanced than this and about $20k cheaper.
My 2015 Summit did a terrific job on this, the 2019 X5 nothing! Scary!!!!
I agree. I am disappointed as well. You would have thought BMW would have similar safety features or at least the basics like Active Braking versus preconditioning the brakes. I'd be hard pressed to hit anything in my Jeep.

I'm hoping that a new software update will fix all the bugs and update the safety features. I was told I'd receive an OTA update in The first week of June. I'm still waiting and probably for a few more months.

I'll tell you another disappointment are the ventilated seats. That's a joke. I think BMW should test drive our Jeep Summits so they get an understanding of the expectations.
2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #48
sdfischer
Rep

Quote:
I agree. I am disappointed as well. You would have thought BMW would have similar safety features or at least the basics like Active Braking versus preconditioning the brakes. I'd be hard pressed to hit anything in my Jeep.

I'm hoping that a new software update will fix all the bugs and update the safety features. I was told I'd receive an OTA update in The first week of June. I'm still waiting and probably for a few more months.

I'll tell you another disappointment are the ventilated seats. That's a joke. I think BMW should test drive our Jeep Summits so they get an understanding of the expectations.
Yes, agree on the ventilated seats too!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 03:29 PM   #49
alexder
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lexus GX 460

sdfischer: I've posted this before, but I noticed the Rear Cross traffic alert not working during several test drives (mostly X7, but X5 also). I emailed upper level BMW guy ( BMW Group Product Communications). He told me he will investigate, but I haven't heard back so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 04:01 PM   #50
sdfischer
Rep

I spoke with my local service manager today and he says that at least some of BMW engineering is starting to recognize this and there is the 'promised someday' patch. Don't hold your breath but it's clearly a safety issue so maybe a little quicker. It seems they don't feel getting a warning is necessary since the interventional braking will stop you about 6" short of t-boning someone. Great thinking.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 04:07 PM   #51
alexder
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lexus GX 460

As far as I know, X5/X7 do not have auto braking feature. I may be wrong though, it's very hard to get exact specs for safety systems, it seems like.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #52
Simon.iv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexder View Post
I'm hoping more people will post their experiences with Rear Cross Traffic alert. I'm deciding on getting G05 and if the that feature does not work well, I may go with another brand. It's one of the most useful safety features I have on my Lexus GX, I find it super useful in parking lots and tight carports where you can't see the space behind you. The one I have on Lexus works if you are in reverse and even if you are not moving, detects cars and pedestrians very well. Please post your experiences.
Thanks And Merry Christmas to all!
Have to agree with you that Lexus did way better than BMW for this function. My previous RX350's camera always work when approaching traffic.

This G05 not only late notifying when approaching traffic but only gave me a shock a couple days ago when it automatically triggered brake come to a stop when approaching traffic light slowly (20-30kph) . Luckily no car coming behind me. I have a dash cam video but dont know how to attach to this post
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 05:50 PM   #53
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.iv View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexder View Post
I'm hoping more people will post their experiences with Rear Cross Traffic alert. I'm deciding on getting G05 and if the that feature does not work well, I may go with another brand. It's one of the most useful safety features I have on my Lexus GX, I find it super useful in parking lots and tight carports where you can't see the space behind you. The one I have on Lexus works if you are in reverse and even if you are not moving, detects cars and pedestrians very well. Please post your experiences.
Thanks And Merry Christmas to all!
Have to agree with you that Lexus did way better than BMW for this function. My previous RX350's camera always work when approaching traffic.

This G05 not only late notifying when approaching traffic but only gave me a shock a couple days ago when it automatically triggered brake come to a stop when approaching traffic light slowly (20-30kph) . Luckily no car coming behind me. I have a dash cam video but dont know how to attach to this post
So your G05 automatically stopped? I never had any Active Braking engage on our G05. I don't think it's any different than our M2 where a warning pops up and the brakes are pre-conditioned.

There is a lot of conflicting posts about autonomous Braking. I can only assume some have it and some do not. No different than my X5 not having Experience Modes and Caring Car where as some do. Another disappointment to add to the lack of safety features that basic cars have are the absolutely garbage ventilated seats, the buggy software like the bc button not working and the loss of BT connection causing me to reboot the iDrive 3 to 4 times a week and the lack of luxury features as advertised like Experience Modes and Caring Car that you'd all expect on a $100k vehicle. However, it does look good and I like the way it drives.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 06:09 AM   #54
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Emergency braking at city speeds, I think that is how it is described, is standard on all X5’s. The system was rated Superior by the IIHS. It is at low speed, think parking, where braking is not available, at least in the US. Some members in Europe have posted that they do have the option checkbox available for braking intervention with park distance control. Hopefully that will be available for us soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 07:50 AM   #55
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Looking to get my 90 year old mother a basic Honda Civic LX. The car is $20k and comes standard with these safety features. It has Active Braking.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 09:45 AM   #56
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
So your G05 automatically stopped? I never had any Active Braking engage on our G05. I don't think it's any different than our M2 where a warning pops up and the brakes are pre-conditioned.
It DOES have active braking, you can check the video of the crash test. The frontal collision emergency braking is standard. It works at driving speed - most systems do not work at parking speed though.

But the braking is very late and hard - so it is not easy to test it out in real life.

Quote:
Looking to get my 90 year old mother a basic Honda Civic LX. The car is $20k and comes standard with these safety features. It has Active Braking.
So does BMW.

Quote:
No different than my X5 not having Experience Modes and Caring Car where as some do. Another disappointment to add to the lack of safety features that basic cars have are the absolutely garbage ventilated seats, the buggy software like the bc button not working and the loss of BT connection causing me to reboot the iDrive 3 to 4 times a week and the lack of luxury features as advertised like Experience Modes and Caring Car that you'd all expect on a $100k vehicle.
Most of the issues above apart from ventilated seats can be solved with an iDrive update. My car does not have any of the issues above, and it has the experience modes and caring car.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 11:59 AM   #57
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Quote:
It DOES have active braking, you can check the video of the crash test. The frontal collision emergency braking is standard. It works at driving speed - most systems do not work at parking speed though.

But the braking is very late and hard - so it is not easy to test it out in real life.

Quote:
So does BMW.

Quote:
No different than my X5 not having Experience Modes and Caring Car where as some do. Another disappointment to add to the lack of safety features that basic cars have are the absolutely garbage ventilated seats, the buggy software like the bc button not working and the loss of BT connection causing me to reboot the iDrive 3 to 4 times a week and the lack of luxury features as advertised like Experience Modes and Caring Car that you'd all expect on a $100k vehicle.
Most of the issues above apart from ventilated seats can be solved with an iDrive update. My car does not have any of the issues above, and it has the experience modes and caring car.
It was upgraded a couple of months ago to 03/2019.45. I was told that my vehicle would get an OTA update in June. I've yet to receive anything. My other forum buddies have the same software version and they have Experience Modes and Caring Car. I think BMW's software is inconsistent. It's probably needing a firmware update.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 10:25 PM   #58
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Quote:

Quote:
So does BMW.

Quote:
It was upgraded a couple of months ago to 03/2019.45. I was told that my vehicle would get an OTA update in June. I've yet to receive anything. My other forum buddies have the same software version and they have Experience Modes and Caring Car. I think BMW's software is inconsistent. It's probably needing a firmware update.
Not sure if I am your forum buddy :-), and not sure it will make you feel better, but FWIW, my Sensitive Car and Are You Experienced Apps disappeared a couple of weeks ago. As you know, I think those apps are useless and wish BMW would not waste their time on these while they have way more severe software problems to solve, but the disappearance itself is curious and amusing. There is nothing that I ever did to cause them to initially be there and now not be there, they did all of that on their own — no dealer visits, no OTA updates, no subscription expires, no app update triggers, nothing. Well, lots of iDrive reboots, but we all have to do that no less than weekly, right? I also have other settings that infuriatingly change themselves, like constantly losing my nav home address, language/nav relationships being corrupted (not lost but not working any longer), self-adjustments of the HUD height, and a few others — not sure if related, but the commonality is that non-volatile memories in the car self-modify when they should not. BMW Software at Work ...
      07-23-2019, 11:27 PM   #59
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
LexxM3. you are a good forum buddy. I guess the software is buggy and inconsistent which has me questioning if some of safety features are also inconsistent from vehicle to vehicle.

I love the X5. I think its looks great and its an amazing ride. I loaded her up so I had a high expectation of the X5. A lot of the features I don't have I tell people about them and they are wowed. I'm just glad no one has asked me to show them.

Anyway, she is going in tomorrow to get a rim repaired, driver Seat Cover replaced, rattle in the door fixed and a number of technical issues noted. I also think the Ambient Air doesn't work and I've checked the fragrance box. Actually the more I type, the more I realize what a waste of money theses options are. I probably could have saved myself a bunch of money in going with the Premium package versus the Excellence package. The only two options I've used and like very much are the massaging seats and the Luggage Compartment Pkg.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 06:52 AM   #60
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
LexxM3. you are a good forum buddy. I guess the software is buggy and inconsistent which has me questioning if some of safety features are also inconsistent from vehicle to vehicle.

I love the X5. I think its looks great and its an amazing ride. I loaded her up so I had a high expectation of the X5. A lot of the features I don't have I tell people about them and they are wowed. I'm just glad no one has asked me to show them.

Anyway, she is going in tomorrow to get a rim repaired, driver Seat Cover replaced, rattle in the door fixed and a number of technical issues noted. I also think the Ambient Air doesn't work and I've checked the fragrance box. Actually the more I type, the more I realize what a waste of money theses options are. I probably could have saved myself a bunch of money in going with the Premium package versus the Excellence package. The only two options I've used and like very much are the massaging seats and the Luggage Compartment Pkg.
So you bought the luggage compartment package, eh? Can you comment on its pros and cons? Have you ever had something heavy sitting on the little door when you pushed the button to raise the cover out from under the floor? Just wondering how robust the whole thing is.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 07:39 AM   #61
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
So you bought the luggage compartment package, eh? Can you comment on its pros and cons? Have you ever had something heavy sitting on the little door when you pushed the button to raise the cover out from under the floor? Just wondering how robust the whole thing is.
Inquiring minds want to know as well....
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 08:33 AM   #62
535gtxenon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 535gt

I apologize as I did not read the whole 3 pages of this thread so maybe I missed something here, but you guys talking about the auto-braking which requires the option of the RADAR. The black square thing in the center of the lower grill.
It is an option and at least around the DC, USA, when I was shopping, most X5 on dealers' parking lot DO NOT have this option. Auto-braking is NOT standard on any BMW models (it does on Nissan though which is ironic).

So if you don't have that thing, you won't get any auto-braking. I have not tested it on my X5, but the one on my 540i does work (at highway speed too). And I think I saw warning of rear traffic crossing on my X5 too when moving out from parking. My problem is most of my touch sensitive buttons are not working.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 08:57 AM   #63
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535gtxenon View Post
I apologize as I did not read the whole 3 pages of this thread so maybe I missed something here, but you guys talking about the auto-braking which requires the option of the RADAR. The black square thing in the center of the lower grill.
It is an option and at least around the DC, USA, when I was shopping, most X5 on dealers' parking lot DO NOT have this option. Auto-braking is NOT standard on any BMW models (it does on Nissan though which is ironic).

So if you don't have that thing, you won't get any auto-braking. I have not tested it on my X5, but the one on my 540i does work (at highway speed too). And I think I saw warning of rear traffic crossing on my X5 too when moving out from parking. My problem is most of my touch sensitive buttons are not working.
That is not correct. Emergency braking at city speeds is standard on all X5s according to everything I have seen from both BMW and third party reviews.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 09:33 AM   #64
535gtxenon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 535gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
That is not correct. Emergency braking at city speeds is standard on all X5s according to everything I have seen from both BMW and third party reviews.
How could this work? using the parking sensors? but that is very short distance by its nature, right? The central RADAR uses different ware length hence works long distance. If it does use the parking sensor for city speed auto braking(25 miles/hour is 40KM/h which is not that slow), the predicting time would be very limited due to its working range. Anyhow, better than none. But I think some of the previous replies were looking for auto braking at all speed?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 09:43 AM   #65
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
As has been mentioned before, this discussion without precision is pretty useless. I am sure TurtleBoy will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe we each need to mention the following specific attributes when asking or commenting on these related issues:

- N/AB: cross traffic notifications vs auto-braking
- F/R: front vs rear
- SPD: speed range of parking/slow, city/medium, highway/fast
- DIST: distance to trigger object
- MODE: current wide angle camera selection mode of: none, front, rear
- EQUIP: car equipment
- GEO: world region

Without all of above, every related comment seems like jibber jabber.
      07-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #66
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535gtxenon View Post
How could this work? using the parking sensors? but that is very short distance by its nature, right? The central RADAR uses different ware length hence works long distance. If it does use the parking sensor for city speed auto braking(25 miles/hour is 40KM/h which is not that slow), the predicting time would be very limited due to its working range. Anyhow, better than none. But I think some of the previous replies were looking for auto braking at all speed?
You would have to check with them on how the system works but automatic braking is standard and has been rated Superior by the IIHS. They test the system at 12mph and 25mph.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...ash-prevention
Appreciate 0