BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-03-2019, 11:26 AM   #89
sdfischer
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 and 2018 540i

Helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
It's available both front and rear; it will change according to your gear selection.
It takes away the tire and steering lines which feels a little weird at first but is a good view for safety until BMW fixes this dangerous issue. Of course you have to hit the camera button every time to use it.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 12:02 PM   #90
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfischer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
It's available both front and rear; it will change according to your gear selection.
It takes away the tire and steering lines which feels a little weird at first but is a good view for safety until BMW fixes this dangerous issue. Of course you have to hit the camera button every time to use it.
And to make sure I wasn't full of manure, I tried a few variations and there are plenty of cases where the wide angle camera (once activated) doesn't follow the gear position nor has any rational or practical logic behind it, confusing the driver in the middle of careful maneuvers, just like all the other camera views.

No one at BMW is listening and they have gauntlets set up to specifically prevent themselves from hearing from customers, so I am not wasting any more time trying to help them by comprehensively documenting their software defects. Vote with the wallet on the next cycle.
      08-03-2019, 02:00 PM   #91
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

The panaroma view is not meant for parking maneuvers.
It is meant to show the 180 view in the direction you want to go from the forward-most/rearward-most angle.
So it would just show front camera on forward gear (assuming you want to go forward), and rear camera on reverse gear (assuming you want to go backwards). I think it would turn off when you change gear.

As for the parking cameras selection, I don't recall seeing a video posted by you. The BMW reasoning (as far as I understand) for the camera selection, which you object to, is that they would fix the camera view on any obstacle near by. I am not saying that this is right or wrong, but I can see their reasoning. They figure that you would want to negotiate a tight space or close in/go around an obstacle (common for parking in Europe) and concentrate the camera from that angle - instead of switching to the front camera whenever you switch to forward gear.
Do note that in cases where there is no obstacle detected nearby, the camera would switch to the front according to the gear selection.

This is one of those things that whatever way you program it, there are people who don't like it and would want the cameras to behave differently. Guess you have not driven a Mercedes which do not even have a camera button to activate it manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
And to make sure I wasn't full of manure, I tried a few variations and there are plenty of cases where the wide angle camera (once activated) doesn't follow the gear position nor has any rational or practical logic behind it, confusing the driver in the middle of careful maneuvers, just like all the other camera views.

No one at BMW is listening and they have gauntlets set up to specifically prevent themselves from hearing from customers, so I am not wasting any more time trying to help them by comprehensively documenting their software defects. Vote with the wallet on the next cycle.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 05:34 AM   #92
sdfischer
Rep

So I had my FIRST acoustic alert in about a month of ownership BUT I was sitting at a light, NOT moving, in D of course and someone changed lanes behind me. Yes, they were close. ??????
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 07:45 AM   #93
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Mine alerted again yesterday. I was pulling out of a parking space, backing directly onto the street. A car was coming a ways away and it alerted me. Appears to work fine in my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 04:13 PM   #94
sdfischer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
Mine alerted again yesterday. I was pulling out of a parking space, backing directly onto the street. A car was coming a ways away and it alerted me. Appears to work fine in my car.
Happy for you! I forgot once today at a shopping center and almost got tagged. Scared the heck out of me and the other driver. No alert. How can this variability be explained??!!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 04:18 PM   #95
foodiewithacorgi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' X5 40i; 18' X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbx5 View Post
Random disconnection from CarPlay - phone won't reconnect until car powered off/on - even after manually attempting to connect

Random stuck on a radio station and can't get back to CarPlay - although I suspect this is more of an iDrive7 issue than CarPlay - but annoying nonetheless

Unable to answer calls - screen unresponsive

I haven't tried the iTunes/Music stuff as others have and said that those portions don't work
For random disconnect from CarPlay, you will need to disable Wifi and enable again, that will reconnect CarPlay. This is the best method right now until an update comes.

To disable and enable Wifi - Car - General Settings - Mobile Devices - Settings.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 04:28 PM   #96
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Happy for you! I forgot once today at a shopping center and almost got tagged. Scared the heck out of me and the other driver. No alert. How can this variability be explained??!!
You must be moving for it to alert. If you stopped before the car’s cameras saw the incoming, it won’t alert.

Check your settings to be sure you have it enabled.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 09:48 AM   #97
sdfischer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
You must be moving for it to alert. If you stopped before the car’s cameras saw the incoming, it won’t alert.

Check your settings to be sure you have it enabled.
Certainly enabled and dealer tested and agreed with fault. I only stopped to prevent a collision, WELL in camera range. Really dumb that you have to be moving. I've tested and own many other vehicles all of which detect and warn when stopped (i.e. at end of your driveway...of course you are going to stop!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 02:08 PM   #98
2SwiFt29
2GR-FSE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M Sport

I'll have to test while moving or not. I know it flashes red for sure. Probably once or twice since owning that I've noticed it making an alert noise.

My wife's Acura MDX works flawlessly moving or not. Arrow points in the direction the vehicle is traveling and makes a sound. Wish BMW was better at it.

2014 Lexus GS350 F-Sport Ultra White w/ Cabernet Interior - Vinyl Wrapped Front and Roof
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 08:01 PM   #99
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SwiFt29 View Post
I'll have to test while moving or not. I know it flashes red for sure. Probably once or twice since owning that I've noticed it making an alert noise.

My wife's Acura MDX works flawlessly moving or not. Arrow points in the direction the vehicle is traveling and makes a sound. Wish BMW was better at it.
What makes our situation worse is you get use to the way the MDX and in my case the Jeep function. A bit disappointed that these basic features aren't activated.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 09:20 PM   #100
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i (2019)

Same here, getting used to how MDX behaves and then driving G05 where BMW asserts the same safety feature and promises that it will also be warning you in the same circumstances is quite dangerous..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 09:40 PM   #101
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinV View Post
Same here, getting used to how MDX behaves and then driving G05 where BMW asserts the same safety feature and promises that it will also be warning you in the same circumstances is quite dangerous..
I think there are inconsistencies with their software. it's almost embarrassing that some of the basic vehicles at a third of the price have better safety features than our X5s. Oh well, it drives well and looks good I guess.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #102
real q
Rep
Drives: BMW

I am hoping BMW will fix this. I think it should alert if the gear is not on park, regardless it is moving or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 07:21 PM   #103
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Backing out of a spot today and a truck was going by and I didn't see it. Thank god the alarm ("my wife") cautioned me and I hit the brakes. Best to get back to the basics and don't rely on the technology because it doesn't work.
2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 07:40 PM   #104
sdfischer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X54TH View Post
Backing out of a spot today and a truck was going by and I didn't see it. Thank god the alarm ("my wife") cautioned me and I hit the brakes. Best to get back to the basics and don't rely on the technology because it doesn't work.
Please raise heck with your dealer! I have been doing so with my service manager and he has managed to contact 'engineering' about it and they are apparently aware but we need multiple voices/complaints!!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 07:55 PM   #105
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X54TH View Post
Please raise heck with your dealer! I have been doing so with my service manager and he has managed to contact 'engineering' about it and they are apparently aware but we need multiple voices/complaints!!
They are aware. It's been in twice for a week each time with the car plugged in so they can remote access it. The conclusion was that an OTA update was coming in June. Apparently I'm part of the first group of cars to get it. I'm still waiting and the dealership can't do anymore. I've never been impressed with BMW's technology. Some of the other options I have like ventilated seats absolutely sucks...that is a complete waste of money. The fragrance thing is pathetic as well. I could go on but I won't. I know I have about $10k of useless options on the car. Our F15 was rock solid, flawless. Miss that one.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 07:19 AM   #106
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i (2019)

UP on this thread. I have 2019 X5 June build with 03.2019 software and "Cross Traffic Alert" does not work, neither back nor front. Per the description on this video none of the functions front or rear work as advertised. Does BMW have such issue registered on their end?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKugmrBejjo

I am waiting on the dealer to drive with me and see, for now per the diagnostics they did not find any faults.

According to the VIDEO by the way it should work both stopped and while moving. Stopped it simply flashes, while moving it is also supposed to do sound alarm plus flash on screen.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 08:24 AM   #107
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinV View Post
UP on this thread. I have 2019 X5 June build with 03.2019 software and "Cross Traffic Alert" does not work, neither back nor front. Per the description on this video none of the functions front or rear work as advertised. Does BMW have such issue registered on their end?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKugmrBejjo

I am waiting on the dealer to drive with me and see, for now per the diagnostics they did not find any faults.

According to the VIDEO by the way it should work both stopped and while moving. Stopped it simply flashes, while moving it is also supposed to do sound alarm plus flash on screen.
I'm in the same boat as you. I think these features are inconsistent from car to car as it relates to the X5. A buddy of mine got his X5 2 weeks after mine and has a bunch of features I don't have. Even some of my buddies that got their X5's before mine have the features. When I took it to the dealer a few months ago they couldn't understand why some X5's on the lot varied as well. The message to the dealership was that nothing could be done until the OTA update coming in June. I guess I should have asked what year.

BMW is just inconsistent with their deployment of software. It's a disappointment that they just can't get it right. It feels like I have an overpriced "basic" vehicle. Mind you you it drives nice and looks great, oh and it's a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 09:27 AM   #108
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Not cross-traffic alerts, but tangentially related and likely using some of the same sensors ... I saw and heard a side collision warning yesterday for first time. Details:

- I was turning left at an advanced green into the left lane of a two lane (one way) road
- the other guy facing me had a red, but decided to turn right into the right lane of the same road
- both of us stayed clean in our respective lanes and I saw the maneuver long before the warning — there was no actual risk of a collision, but I had much more perspective than the system could so I don't begrudge it the "false alarm" at all
- the alarm was a large orange full sized car icon in HUD and the now-classic high pitched "you're about to die" X5 sound; the orange car icon appeared on the correct side of potential collision (my right), but I don't know if that would vary with event side

Just a report.
      08-16-2019, 08:32 AM   #109
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Late build '19 here fully loaded, just got it back from the dealer and instead of going from 3/2019.35 to the July upgrade they put me at 3/2019.90. Cross traffic still isn't working.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 08:45 AM   #110
sdfischer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
Late build '19 here fully loaded, just got it back from the dealer and instead of going from 3/2019.35 to the July upgrade they put me at 3/2019.90. Cross traffic still isn't working.
Extremely disappointing! I was told the next one after .45 should do it.
Appreciate 0