incubatewhisky
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMX X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLg05 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by incubatewhisky View Post
Has anyone wired a rear dashcam to the tailgate? I can't figure out a good way to fish the wire from the interior of the car to the back of the window. I've removed the side panels but can't seem to access the rubber channel that goes to the tailgate. Any ideas? Otherwise I'll need to go to a professional
What pet divider are you using? Did you research it?
This is the pet divider[1] I bought knowing I was going to do more research once the G05 had more time on the market for a model specific one to become available. It's a bit flimsy and you can't open the cargo storage door; but it's easy to add/remove, makes no noise, fits between the cargo cover and the back seat, and does the job for my two dogs.

[1] You only need to use the top cross bar in x5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002MABGE

I had the following[2] one in my Lexus GX 470 and hated it.

[2] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I1PJNO
Appreciate 1
TLg0513.00
      01-07-2019, 01:56 AM   #24
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Has anyone wired a rear dashcam to the tailgate? I can't figure out a good way to fish the wire from the interior of the car to the back of the window. I've removed the side panels but can't seem to access the rubber channel that goes to the tailgate. Any ideas? Otherwise I'll need to go to a professional
Did you figure out how to run the wire to the tailgate? I'll be doing the same soon
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 10:49 PM   #25
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Prewiring front and rear for dashcam would be something I'd pay for as an option.

Dashcams are getting so popular it seems like BMW would want to make some money offering this a prewire option.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 11:31 PM   #26
incubatewhisky
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichoo View Post
Quote:
Did you figure out how to run the wire to the tailgate? I'll be doing the same soon
Unfortunately I haven't
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 12:05 PM   #27
Barmats
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

I would be interested in hearing any updates on this, especially where to tap power from in the fuse box. I know some vehicles are very sensitive to additional load changes for some circuits. All I'm looking for is 12VDC switched on and off with the ignition. I don't need power for the dashcam when the vehicle is off.

Although it's easy to check, I have not yet done so... is the cigarette lighter always on or does it switch off with the ignition? If switched, this may be an easier tap than running a feed wire from the rear of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #28
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmats View Post
I would be interested in hearing any updates on this, especially where to tap power from in the fuse box. I know some vehicles are very sensitive to additional load changes for some circuits. All I'm looking for is 12VDC switched on and off with the ignition. I don't need power for the dashcam when the vehicle is off.

Although it's easy to check, I have not yet done so... is the cigarette lighter always on or does it switch off with the ignition? If switched, this may be an easier tap than running a feed wire from the rear of the vehicle.
Take a look at this thread:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...light=blackvue

I think F27 would be the one to use. I'll be installing next week, will report back
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 01:03 PM   #29
Hchhuor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 LX570

Quote:

cigarette lighter come on as soon as you get in the car and switch off with the ignition off. I just don’t like the wire hanging plus I can not close the cup holder.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #30
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bichoo View Post
Take a look at this thread:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...light=blackvue

I think F27 would be the one to use. I'll be installing next week, will report back
I have a Mini 0906 dual dashcam with hardwire kit in my F15 Install is pretty easy, power from two fuses in front right fuse box, just use the fuse box diagram to figure out which are always live and which are switched then use piggy back connectors. Rear cam is powered from front and routing the cable through the edge of the headline is easy enough, just pull down door rubbers to guide it through then access tailgate as per photos in the link above.
2019 G05 3.0d MSport in Artic Grey/ Black 2015 F15 3.0d MSport/ 2014 F15 3.0d MSport, Carbon Black with Ivory White/ Black interior. 2015 f23 2 series convertible in Glacier Silver / Black. 2010 F07 5GT SE Sapphire Black with Ivory White/black interior
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 06:24 PM   #31
incubatewhisky
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hchhuor View Post
Quote:

cigarette lighter come on as soon as you get in the car and switch off with the ignition off. I just don’t like the wire hanging plus I can not close the cup holder.
I wired mine to the cigarette outlet in the second row on the bottom rear of the center console. You can hide it so that you can't see it at all from anywhere in the front. My 18mo son is the only person in the 2nd row (in his car seat). The car seat is way more distracting than the little bit of wire that snakes around the bottom corner between the passenger seat the console.
Appreciate 1
bichoo280.50
      02-23-2019, 12:00 AM   #32
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
I just ran mine through the factory rubber boot like you have circled in your pics. I'll post some pics with a little write up on my Blackvue 4K with custom Blendmount dashcam / Radar detector mount.
      02-23-2019, 12:27 AM   #33
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

BMW is likely introducing a built-in recording system - look up 6DR option in the G12 7-Series LCI guides: "6DR - Driver recorder" - price $200, 7/19 SOP
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 09:23 AM   #34
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black

Is Power Magic EZ supported?

Quote:
I bought BlackVue DR900S-2CH and BlackVue Power Magic EZ (PMEZ) for Easy Parking Mode (OBD Port Powered). Plus blendmount to mount the dashcam behind rear view mirror.
Hi, does your X5 support Power Magic EZ? I read on blackboxmycar.com that X5 2014 to 2018 is not supported.

I have DR900S and planning to by PMEZ for parking mode but not sure if that will be supported
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 09:25 AM   #35
Hchhuor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrekX5 View Post
Quote:
I bought BlackVue DR900S-2CH and BlackVue Power Magic EZ (PMEZ) for Easy Parking Mode (OBD Port Powered). Plus blendmount to mount the dashcam behind rear view mirror.
Hi, does your X5 support Power Magic EZ? I read on blackboxmycar.com that X5 2014 to 2018 is not supported.

I have DR900S and planning to by PMEZ for parking mode but not sure if that will be supported
It's won't work on 2019 x5
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 09:30 AM   #36
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black

Quote:
Thanks for prompt response
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #37
Hchhuor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrekX5 View Post
Quote:
Thanks for prompt response
I mark the fuse that you need to use clearly
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 10:17 PM   #38
marty.zigman
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 2019

Generic AuKey Dash Cam with Basic USB with Mirror Mount Hardwire Power

Gents,

I have three of these basic Dash Cams and I just installed one in my wife's G05 X5 today. It took some learning to figure out the hardware strategy but I am satisfied:

It's a $70 no-frills unit on Amazon: AUKEY Dash Cam, Dashboard Camera Recorder with Full HD 1080P, 6-Lane 170° Wide Angle Lens, Supercapacitor, G-Sensor and Clear Nighttime Recording.

I then purchased the $14 USB Kit which I did a bit of soldering to make a homemade tap:
SHISHUO Dash Cam Hardwire Kit - Mini USB and Micro USB Port 3.5m Cable with LP Mini/Mini/ATO/Micro2 Fuse, 12V to 24V Input, 5V Output for Dash Cam GPS Sat-Nav with Battery Drain Protection

I tapped in into the Mirror power. The power is indeed switched. It takes about 10 minutes for the power go out when you turn off the car -- but that is just fine with me.

I blew the rated 5 amp mirror Fuse #F59. So I added a replacement fuse at 7.5 amps and it seems to be holding fine.

Here is the result of the work. Pretty clean and simple.

I am attaching the BMW G05 Fuse Schematic that I obtained from the BMW website.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf fuse_card_2019.pdf (1.90 MB, 392 views)
Appreciate 2
Xeno313.00
Hchhuor91.00
      11-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #39
elbandito
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW x5 40i

Just installed mine today. I was debating between hardwire vs. using the rear cigarette outlet and went with the cigarette outlet. Took about 20 mins and you can’t see any wires hanging so I’m satisfied. Only issue I had is getting the wire to conceal in the front headliner especially at the corner. I snugged it into the gap between the headliner and the passenger side airbag; I assume that’s how others have done it?
Appreciate 0