BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-17-2019, 10:20 AM   #1
787Pilot
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

My G05 Experiences are Not So Good!

A salesman at the dealership said it best. “The technology is great! But we also want to just get somewhere, to where we want to go!”

Last edited by 787Pilot; 10-03-2019 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: Too much criticism
Appreciate 3
thomas_Rp126.00
TXSTYLE13651.00
      08-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
these new X5’s are NOT quality cars.
I disagree. I think you are missing the modern luxury car manufacturing process. Exterior parts are supposed to flex. You need to look at the video of how the new G05 and other luxury cars are assembled.
Drive the competition from $150k down and tell me why you feel they offer more quality. Your not going to see it with the new Cayenne Turbo as they use even more plastic and odd design choices.
I am in the North East where my temps are always changing and so are the road conditions.
With only 200 miles on the odometer my X5 has been driven from 0 degrees 1100 miles to 90 degrees in the same day without feeling anything but solid as a rock the entire way. I am no stranger to owning many high end autos and feel the current G05 is pushing the tech boundaries while maintaining the best quality driving experience BMW can do in a luxury SUV.

Last edited by MystroX5; 08-17-2019 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 8
Tenac4504.50
Ilyam5888.50
sygazelle11091.00
cjack29.50
GuyOh1064.00
Cooltones241.00
      08-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 787Pilot View Post
I dont want to go into details but lets just say after it elevated to replacing the automatic transmission
Well, if you think a few noises are bad, what did you have to say about your failed tranny?

Quote:
The reason I took the time to write this story is because I know everyone cannot be having all these glowing experiences I read here
Not sure I'm with you on this comment because probably 80% of the posts on this forum are due to owners seeking solutions to issues and the other 20% maybe are glowing experiences.

Quote:
I just wish they would put as much attention into the structure of the car as they have into its power and technology.
Its the technology that owners are having issues with here, not the structure.

You had three X5's in a row, you must like them or one would have been enough, especially after they had to replace your tranny. So, I'm not sure why you posted, you're not seeking help, you're not dealer bashing as it seems you have the ultimate dealer but you are X5 bashing yet you keep buying them.
Appreciate 4
Tenac4504.50
rneats0.00
Paladin15456.00
      08-17-2019, 11:20 AM   #4
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

My G05 Experiences are Not So Good!

Quote:
I’m going to say something here and some of you will agree with me, lots of you will disagree and possibly criticize me heavily, and the others will say nothing but agree with me silently. But the fact is, these new X5’s are NOT quality cars. Let me explain.

I had a 2016 X5 5.0 and after 2 years, it developed a problem. I don’t know how serious the problem was because the dealer was never able to fix it. Now I said the dealer “was never able” to fix, which doesn’t qualify the seriousness of the problem but rather the quality of the dealership. I don’t want to go into details but let’s just say after it elevated to replacing the automatic transmission, that was it for me. Also on that note, if the dealership has to begin removing major parts, forget about it. Your car will never be the same!

So, the factory finally agreed to buy back my car and left me in a spot of having to decide if I wanted to go down this road again. By the way, this was the second X5. I previously had a 2007 and the experience wasn’t a walk in the park either. But it was repaired correctly. Anyway, after some thought and after surprising news that BMW was going to the G05, I decided to order another one.

Now “customer service” wise, the dealership management has been the best. I dealt exclusively with the General Manager and this guy is uncannily the best at customer service than anyone is at anything else. He even gave me a new G05 to drive while I waited for my order at no charge for the entire 2 months.

So, I order the X5 equipped just as my previous 5.0 but with nearly every bell and whistle, including the M Sport Package. The car was superb for 2 full months. It was a looker too in Black Sapphire. People would pull me over just to take a look and ask questions. But as I said, “for 2 full months”. When we began having warm weather here in California. It seemed to fall apart overnight. Its plastics pieces began to click and pop. It always sounded as if someone was buckling and unbuckling the rear seatbelts when driving over small bumps in the road and uneven surfaces, even though no one was in the backseat. The door jams began to squish and creak. It sounded more like an old Ford from the 60’s instead of a modern $90K, technology filled SUV like I “thought” I had. I was devastated!

After months of installing and removing and reinstalling Teflon tape, driving around with BMW Technicians climbing back and forth from the front seat to the rear seat to the cargo area trying to figure out where the clicking and popping noises were coming from, I gave up and lost every ounce of feeling I had for this car. I love cars! I actually teared up when the 2016 had to be returned. I have no feelings for this latest venture down the road of creaks, clicks and pops.

It’s been really hot here in California for the past few weeks. But it cools down late at night. One night on a day when my 2019 X5 had not been driven at all, I raise the garage door to let in the cooler air and it set there and began popping like someone was shooting off fireworks. The noises were coming from all the plastic components on the exterior of the car. If you grab the rear bumper cap right behind the rear wheel, the entire area flex more like a plastic blanket instead of a sturdy part.

Fortunately, the dealer agreed not to put me back through the experiences I was having just about a year ago. Though the factory wants patience in trying to repair this car, the dealer said “No way” and agreed themselves to accept the car back. But! I just ordered a new one to see if the 3rd time is the charm. But! I am really, really concerned! And if that was not enough, the dealership again provided me with a new G05 to drive while I wait. They PDI’ed it and gave it straight to me. Two hours later, I was back at the dealership because this car had problems with the Navigation system that required 3 hours of servicing. But that was not the biggee for me. It also had the same clicking and popping sound from the rear interior and doors when driving over small bumps in the road and uneven surfaces that I began to experience after the weather turned warmed.

The reason I took the time to write this “story” is because I know everyone cannot be having all these glowing experiences I read here. I also know I cannot be the only one who is having these problems. Even the dealership spoke to the factory and asked, “Why do you keep sending us these ‘pieces of s**t cars’?” Like I said, the dealership has been fairly honest with me.

Again I want to say. I love the BMW X5 with the V8. It “drives” like no other SUV I’ve driven, even the more expensive and more powerful ones. I just wish they would put as much attention into the structure of the car as they have into its power and technology.

A salesman at the dealership said it best. “The technology is great! But we also want to just get somewhere, to where we want to go!”
Your dealer sounds like a customers dream. To take 2 new G05 for you to borrow during the order process is not common. Maybe loaning a service loaner, but these guys have gone above and beyond.

As far as the noises, all cars have creaks and pops. I'm not saying you didn't hear things you didn't expect. I suspect the biggest issue here is BMW, like others, are getting better with sound deadening and cabin isolation. So, what was always there, is now amplified.

I'm gonna suggest your next order not have the acoustic glass. In your case allowing some road sound might be to your benefit.

Good luck with the next car. If all else fails, turn up the stereo louder.
      08-17-2019, 11:27 AM   #5
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I personally think BMW is making too many different models and that has caused a loss of focus on their core models, X5 being one of them. Also, I think BMW has made very technologically sophisticated vehicles with lots of terrific marketable technology but has failed in executing those features. They need to execute them as promised and make sure they work. Based on my ownership experience of two G05s, a number of key features work about 80-90% of the time and no one at BMW really understands what's going on.

Cars are complicated now with many different software modules for different systems, but BMW needs to get a handle on making sure the customer experience is flawless and not frustrating.

I have not heard the popping or creaking sounds, but my car stays in a temp controlled garage 90% of the time.

The frustrations suck, but I really love the G05. It drives sooo nice.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 11:55 AM   #6
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
I'm going to say something here and some of you will agree with me, lots of you will disagree and possibly criticize me heavily, and the others will say nothing but agree with me silently. But the fact is, these new X5's are NOT quality cars. Let me explain.

I had a 2016 X5 5.0 and after 2 years, it developed a problem. I don't know how serious the problem was because the dealer was never able to fix it. Now I said the dealer "was never able" to fix, which doesn't qualify the seriousness of the problem but rather the quality of the dealership. I don't want to go into details but let's just say after it elevated to replacing the automatic transmission, that was it for me. Also on that note, if the dealership has to begin removing major parts, forget about it. Your car will never be the same!

So, the factory finally agreed to buy back my car and left me in a spot of having to decide if I wanted to go down this road again. By the way, this was the second X5. I previously had a 2007 and the experience wasn't a walk in the park either. But it was repaired correctly. Anyway, after some thought and after surprising news that BMW was going to the G05, I decided to order another one.

Now "customer service" wise, the dealership management has been the best. I dealt exclusively with the General Manager and this guy is uncannily the best at customer service than anyone is at anything else. He even gave me a new G05 to drive while I waited for my order at no charge for the entire 2 months.

So, I order the X5 equipped just as my previous 5.0 but with nearly every bell and whistle, including the M Sport Package. The car was superb for 2 full months. It was a looker too in Black Sapphire. People would pull me over just to take a look and ask questions. But as I said, "for 2 full months". When we began having warm weather here in California. It seemed to fall apart overnight. Its plastics pieces began to click and pop. It always sounded as if someone was buckling and unbuckling the rear seatbelts when driving over small bumps in the road and uneven surfaces, even though no one was in the backseat. The door jams began to squish and creak. It sounded more like an old Ford from the 60's instead of a modern $90K, technology filled SUV like I "thought" I had. I was devastated!

After months of installing and removing and reinstalling Teflon tape, driving around with BMW Technicians climbing back and forth from the front seat to the rear seat to the cargo area trying to figure out where the clicking and popping noises were coming from, I gave up and lost every ounce of feeling I had for this car. I love cars! I actually teared up when the 2016 had to be returned. I have no feelings for this latest venture down the road of creaks, clicks and pops.

It's been really hot here in California for the past few weeks. But it cools down late at night. One night on a day when my 2019 X5 had not been driven at all, I raise the garage door to let in the cooler air and it set there and began popping like someone was shooting off fireworks. The noises were coming from all the plastic components on the exterior of the car. If you grab the rear bumper cap right behind the rear wheel, the entire area flex more like a plastic blanket instead of a sturdy part.

Fortunately, the dealer agreed not to put me back through the experiences I was having just about a year ago. Though the factory wants patience in trying to repair this car, the dealer said "No way" and agreed themselves to accept the car back. But! I just ordered a new one to see if the 3rd time is the charm. But! I am really, really concerned! And if that was not enough, the dealership again provided me with a new G05 to drive while I wait. They PDI'ed it and gave it straight to me. Two hours later, I was back at the dealership because this car had problems with the Navigation system that required 3 hours of servicing. But that was not the biggee for me. It also had the same clicking and popping sound from the rear interior and doors when driving over small bumps in the road and uneven surfaces that I began to experience after the weather turned warmed.

The reason I took the time to write this "story" is because I know everyone cannot be having all these glowing experiences I read here. I also know I cannot be the only one who is having these problems. Even the dealership spoke to the factory and asked, "Why do you keep sending us these 'pieces of s**t cars'?" Like I said, the dealership has been fairly honest with me.

Again I want to say. I love the BMW X5 with the V8. It "drives" like no other SUV I've driven, even the more expensive and more powerful ones. I just wish they would put as much attention into the structure of the car as they have into its power and technology.

A salesman at the dealership said it best. "The technology is great! But we also want to just get somewhere, to where we want to go!"
Coming recently from a 2017 Range Rover, 2017 F80 M3 (what a mistake : Porsche Cayenne, and 2012 E70 X5, this is the best car I've ever owned. It does everything well, and will probably be the first car I keep for more then a year or two. I'm very happy with my 50i
Just my opinion, but I appreciate you sharing your opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 12:07 PM   #7
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB316 View Post
Coming recently from a 2017 Range Rover, 2017 F80 M3, Porsche Cayenne, and 2012 E70 X5, this is the best car I've ever owned. It does everything well, and will probably be the first car I keep for more then a year or two. I'm very happy with my 50i
Just my opinion, but I appreciate you sharing your opinion.
If we're talking SUV's only, I agree. I also had a Range Rover HSE but I consider them a very different type of SUV.

I've driven the Porsche Cayenne and I always felt I was driving a sedan just sitting higher off the ground.

As far as the best "car" I've ever owned, it was the Porsche 911. And even with that, I enjoy driving the BMW X5 5.0 more!
Haha, agree with you there! 911 is a beast

I feel like the G05 is hit or miss. I've heard of issues people are having with iDrive, the radiators leaking, windows not working, etc.

Other people (as myself) have had zero issues with their G05's. I have 10k miles on mine and not a single issue. Hopefully they work out all the bugs in the next couple years. Its a great car otherwise, the interior is MILES ahead of the F15.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 12:09 PM   #8
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
But the fact is, these new X5s are NOT quality cars.
Can you provide the data to call this a FACT? Your experiences are 1 of thousands if not hundred of thousands over the years you describe. I read this and its like the news today, all stating FACT but nothing to actually identify the stated fact.....
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #9
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
I said all I had to say in my post.
So its a good opinion and a good read about your experience.
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #10
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Aside from pickup trucks and a few RV's, I can't think of any car today that has metal front or rear ends, all plastic. I was in a VW dealer the other day and leaned up against their new Atlas. The body panel moved inward...ha! Plastic. The exhaust trims are all fake on it and other higher end cars/SUV's. You can grab any cars front facade and easily bend it. Plastic is made to look like metal, metal is disappearing in favor of weight and safety (remember metal dashes?), spare tires are disappearing, etc. So you end up going for a certain vehicle for what you want out of it knowing none will satisfy your every desire.

If you are too picky, you'll drive yourself nuts and don't think that just because a car cost $90K, its going to meet all your standards. That's not today's world. I have much trouble accepting this but as I expand my search range in vehicles, I keep coming back to BMW. I know that I don't have to buy them, its my choice.

Now, give me the name of your dealer, I'm moving to California.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #11
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
I was a little confused about replacing the automatic transmission bit, and then having nothing wrong with the transmission. Did the dealer unnecessarily replace it? My 2015 X5d was flawless, and comparable quality to comparably priced SUVs I've owned, including Audi and Lexus. Don't have a G05 in the garage yet, but I generally anticipate a similar experience based on everything I've researched personally including numerous test drives, formal reviews and feedback here. But stuff happens - witness posts from long-time owners and enthusiasts whose experience didn't go so well - I could be one of those in a few weeks, or not. And problems range from everything from dealerships to tech. Modern autos are incredibly complex beasts, so much so that actually driving the car is the least complex issue now. I have been amused at posts (not necessarily here) along the line of "I chipped my car with the Automag+ 3000 chip to increase the bhp to 800, replaced the wheels with tractor wheels, wired my personal coffeemaker into the rearview mirror and put Buggatti SPACCER lifts on each tire, and now it drives funny." Or "My lights don't work! What a piece of crap! Where do I find the light switch?" C'est la vie.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 01:03 PM   #12
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I don't know what is going t be worse, the noises you now have or what you may end up with after the service people climb through your car removing and replacing things. It could simply be an exercise in frustration. You've not had your car long enough yet to experience some of the issues owners are reporting on this forum so when you get done with what you're doing to it now, are you going to be ready for what comes next?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 01:10 PM   #13
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Unfortunately, clicking and popping sounds do happen. The only question is what tolerance the driver is willing to exhibit while these sounds occur.

Since G05 is in the first model year, BMW is surely building a list of production changes to be implemented in the next model year. Hopefully, this list includes better fitting interior parts with more isolation.

Earlier F30 production models were known for creaking / buzzing interior. Later F30 production models were noticeable better in interior noise department, although never noise free.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 01:21 PM   #14
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Unfortunately, clicking and popping sounds do happen. The only question is what tolerance the driver is willing to exhibit while these sounds occur.

Since G05 is in the first model year, BMW is surely building a list of production changes to be implemented in the next model year. Hopefully, this list includes better fitting interior parts with more isolation.

Earlier F30 production models were known for creaking / buzzing interior. Later F30 production models were noticeable better in interior noise department, although never noise free.
Those who have ridden in my car describes it as sounding as if something is broken under the car [BMW Salesman]. Others say it sounds like someone clicking marbles together [BMW Technician]. Some say it sounds like someone is buckling and unbuckling the seatbelt [I agree closer to this description].

I am almost sure it's related to the door panels. They replaced one of the panels on the passenger front door and that cured that one. But not the others.

I'm willing to stick with trying to resolve this issue, but maybe not on a dealership level. I would do ANYTHING to resolve this. If so, I could consider this car as close to perfect as any car.
Thanks for the clarification. Then I sense it's a manufacturing defect worth addressing.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 12:22 PM   #15
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Unfortunately my X5 has disappointed me as well with regard to interior squeaks and rattles.

Fortunately I was able to eliminate the worst ones by wrapping the rear seatback latches with electrical tape. See this thread: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24137979

My old Audi S4 had no squeaks or rattles in 6 years of ownership, so I know it is possible. I traded the S4 for a GMC Yukon whose rattles were so bad I traded it for the X5 after only 7 months. You can imagine my disappointment that the X5 has rattles too, among other vibration issues that have not been resolved.

Good luck with eliminating your pops and rattles. Ps, if you're a 787 pilot, that's awesome!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 10:43 PM   #16
amphiprion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e MSport

No squeaks nor rattles here after four months, and I hope I didn’t just jinx myself.

Drove to Sonoma/Napa area recently to pick up wine and in the process put on a couple of hundred serene, quiet and comfortable miles in the X5. 100 degree heatwave and all.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 08:13 AM   #17
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphiprion View Post
No squeaks nor rattles here after four months, and I hope I didnt just jinx myself.

Drove to Sonoma/Napa area recently to pick up wine and in the process put on a couple of hundred serene, quiet and comfortable miles in the X5. 100 degree heatwave and all.
It only took a couple hundred miles to get to Sonoma/Napa and back??? That's just not right! Then again, if I lived that close, I'd only be able to afford Yugo.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 06:33 PM   #18
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Quote:

It’s been really hot here on West Coast for the past few weeks. But it cools down late at night. One night on a day when my 2019 X5 had not been driven at all, I raise the garage door to let in the cooler air and it set there and began popping like someone was shooting off fireworks. The noises were coming from all the plastic components on the exterior of the car. If you grab the rear bumper cap right behind the rear wheel, the entire area flex more like a plastic blanket instead of a sturdy part.
Quote:
I also think it's heat, as in hot weather related. I know that may sound crazy to some, but I am certain of it.
Sorry to hear about your experience.

not sure how warm your car got, but 2 weeks ago, we applied epoxy flooring to our garage and i had to park our G05 outside for 4 days. Temperature in Arizona were up to 114 outside and well over 180 inside the car. Nothing "pop" as you describe. no squeak or rattle. everything is solid as a rock. Everything is fine other than some cosmoline coming out from the door.

As for software issues everyone is experience, I'm probably one of the lucky ones that haven't experience anything negative. we are still on last year software version **edit. I take it back our corning lights dont work because i haven't upgraded yet, nothing to complain about

Our experience has been so great, *knock on wood, we are considering the X7 when our 2nd child arrives!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 08:39 AM   #19
787Pilot
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ps, if you're a 787 pilot, that's awesome!
Yes but the clock is ticking. It's a matter of days that I retire.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 04:18 PM   #20
SJW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 X5 40i Dark Graphite

Appreciated the post and comments. Almost 5k miles in and my X5 40i has been flawless. A little gutless in Comfort mode but I'm coming from a M4 6MT. I just pop it in Sport Plus if the extra responsiveness is needed and all is good. Hope my good fortune continues.
Appreciate 1
RowanBuds1707.00
      08-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #21
787Pilot
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fortunately I was able to eliminate the worst ones by wrapping the rear seatback latches with electrical tape.
I read this part of your post and was kind of hopeful. So I ran out to the loaner, unlatched the rear seats completely and drove away with them lying down. But the clicking is still there.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 01:52 AM   #22
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

It almost seems like these issues come in production clusters. For example, I noticed at one of my local dealers that all X5s (20+) had a large scuff on the driver side A-pillar fabric, but at a dealer on the other side of town, the cars were all fine. It is strange that multiple cars from your dealer are exhibiting the same problem. Is it the rear hatch, by chance? X5s have always had issues with noises from the double tailgate.
Appreciate 0