08-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #1
Gordon4499
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2016 535D M Sport Touring

Xdrive 30d tow limits

Hi all,

I am currently looking at the new X5 M M Sport 30d but I need to tow and notice that the limit for the G05 has been reduced to 1900kg, which is a big drop from the previous model.

My 535d can tow 2000kg so I am at a bit of a loss at to why the X5 has such a poor tow capacity.

Can anyone shed some light on this.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
MGDisco
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Hi,

I have the towbar on order as factory fit. I too thought that 1900kg is low as the max limit for towing. It appears that this limit may apply if you fit a towbar after build.

From what I can gather from searches on this point (noted on some reviews mind you), is that the towbar package will have a higher limit (3500kg? maybe). I also was in 2 minds to option the off road package, as it was also stated in the BMW brochure information that this option increases the towing limit to 3500kg. So which one is it? I didn't go for the off-road in the end.... went for Driving Assistance Professional instead - more use over the time we'll have the vehicle

What isn't clear is if it is the towbar being factory fitted that increases it, or the off road package that increases it even for an after-build towbar being fitted

The towbar package is supposed to have additional oil cooling (for the gearbox? this would make sense) that would allow greater towing capacity. At least according to the sales adviser at the dealership. The towing capacity appears OK, for myself, as the caravan is max weight of 1647kg's so 1900kg will be ample. Kerb weight of~2150kg for the 30D is more key to stability for us towing, which is a high enough ratio to be less concerning than some other vehicles that we were considering.

I'm due to look at the X5 before delivery (on the 30th) with our caravan to determine if the 13 pin plug does actually cover both battery/fridge functions, so I'll, see what I can determine then too on the actual towing weight capacity.

Reason for checking before delivery - previous BMW towing looms have needed an additional loom to be fitted to enable these functions as part of the tow package, hence I'm dubious that it will work out of the box on the G05. Even though I have asked the specific question and the tech at the dealer inquired through their chanels and confirmed it is expected to be 'fully' wired on the G05. Let's see..... If it does need extra wiring, I'd prefer it fitted at the dealer BEFORE delivery, rather than having to go back after to request the work to be done. Previous additional loom work was a rear end dismantling to fit it, circa £700 to add a £100 loom.....

Hope this is helpful, I'll look at posting after my visit if I can ascertain the capacity details - I'll check the VIN/rating plate to see what it states if I get the chance to pop the bonnet when I'm there (note the car won't be PDI'ed at the time, so it might not happen...)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 02:43 AM   #3
Gordon4499
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2016 535D M Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDisco View Post
Hi,

I have the towbar on order as factory fit. I too thought that 1900kg is low as the max limit for towing. It appears that this limit may apply if you fit a towbar after build.

From what I can gather from searches on this point (noted on some reviews mind you), is that the towbar package will have a higher limit (3500kg? maybe). I also was in 2 minds to option the off road package, as it was also stated in the BMW brochure information that this option increases the towing limit to 3500kg. So which one is it? I didn't go for the off-road in the end.... went for Driving Assistance Professional instead - more use over the time we'll have the vehicle

What isn't clear is if it is the towbar being factory fitted that increases it, or the off road package that increases it even for an after-build towbar being fitted

The towbar package is supposed to have additional oil cooling (for the gearbox? this would make sense) that would allow greater towing capacity. At least according to the sales adviser at the dealership. The towing capacity appears OK, for myself, as the caravan is max weight of 1647kg's so 1900kg will be ample. Kerb weight of~2150kg for the 30D is more key to stability for us towing, which is a high enough ratio to be less concerning than some other vehicles that we were considering.

I'm due to look at the X5 before delivery (on the 30th) with our caravan to determine if the 13 pin plug does actually cover both battery/fridge functions, so I'll, see what I can determine then too on the actual towing weight capacity.

Reason for checking before delivery - previous BMW towing looms have needed an additional loom to be fitted to enable these functions as part of the tow package, hence I'm dubious that it will work out of the box on the G05. Even though I have asked the specific question and the tech at the dealer inquired through their chanels and confirmed it is expected to be 'fully' wired on the G05. Let's see..... If it does need extra wiring, I'd prefer it fitted at the dealer BEFORE delivery, rather than having to go back after to request the work to be done. Previous additional loom work was a rear end dismantling to fit it, circa £700 to add a £100 loom.....

Hope this is helpful, I'll look at posting after my visit if I can ascertain the capacity details - I'll check the VIN/rating plate to see what it states if I get the chance to pop the bonnet when I'm there (note the car won't be PDI'ed at the time, so it might not happen...)
Hi MGDisco

Many thanks for your reply.

I have since done a bit more digging and you are correct that the 1900kg limit refers to a retrofit tow bar. BMW really don't make this easy as you would think they figure they would quote on the website would be with the factory fit tow bar.

According to tech support, the limit with the factory fit is 3400kg and 140kg on the nose.

I am towing much the same weight as yourself so no problems there

Regards the wiring loom.. I am on my 4th BMW and this really winds me up. Its beyond comprehension why they don't just fully wire the thing at the factory. I have been told that the G05 is the same and the additional wiring loom will need fitting. I have been quoted £500 for this so I would be very interested to hear how you get on with your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 09:57 PM   #4
bono
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5d

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/08/22/b...-in-australia/
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2019, 04:24 AM   #5
Flippy_00
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 45e

Dealer just informed me that the 45e has a tow limit of 2.700kg instead of the 3500kg for the other models (at least in the European markets).

Above values using the factory fitted towbar (eu spec)
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2019, 03:09 AM   #6
MGDisco
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

It does seem a bit confusing to say the least in how the information is presented! And thanks to Gordon for the information he received from his dealer on the requirement of an additional loom and the cost of it. It seems steep since the factory fit is already inclusive of the electrics being wired - you would think by this time, the full 13 pins would be wired as part of the factory loom. It seems every other manufacturer has now moved to this.

I'm still going to be on the dealers case as the info to myself was it does not need a new loom/additional loom to be fitted, so lets see where I get with this later on this week. Its more the principle of it than the cost - I would rather it was working fully from the outset from the factory..... saves the car being taken apart for a handful of extra wires, even if it is a full loom that has to be installed to achieve it.

In response to the 45e hybrid, it is probably to do with the increased gross weight of the vehicle and the axle weight limits that requires the towing limit to have to be adjusted to cater for the extra internal weight of the hybrid system. But 2700kg is still a decent limit - other hybrid models have had much lower than this (Lexus RX450h has 2000kg, still not too bad, but it has 80kg on the coupling which is low for a large caravan where >100kg is more likely what will be applied).
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2019, 10:39 PM   #7
bono
Lieutenant
Rep

Porsche Cayenne hybrid has 7,700 lbs towing capacity.

By the way, here are all specs for towing for G05 - page 57

https://www.bmw.de/content/dam/bmw/m...2680044972.pdf

Last edited by bono; 08-27-2019 at 12:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 11:48 PM   #8
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
By the way, here are all specs for towing for G05 - page 57

https://goo.gl/maps/wiTtn7a89GJf6G4s9
Did you leave your owner manual at your bank?
      08-27-2019, 12:03 AM   #9
bono
Lieutenant
Rep

fixed

https://www.bmw.de/content/dam/bmw/m...2680044972.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Did you leave your owner manual at your bank?
Appreciate 2
LexxM31697.50