08-19-2019, 01:39 AM   #1
ashrafn_007
Registered
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i - 2019 - G05

Unhappy My X5 50i 2019/G05 Software Update issue

Hi Guys, this is my first time to share my experience with you,
I got BMW x5 50i last year in November, and until now i never received any updates from BMW. my installed version is : 11/2018.49

i tried to check from BMW Software update page using my VIN number, but it always says no updates.

I tried a lot to check any remote updates from the vehicle but nothing since that date.

Does anyone know how to solve that issue ?

Currently i have issues with :
1) Carplay, doesn't work at all. Only after resetting my iDrive ,it
worked once then it stopped again.

2) Wi fi Mirroring is not working.

3) "Connected" App on iPhone doesn't work at all. version 10.3.1574.
Only works for sharing destination from Maps to my car.
remote locking/unlocking, 3D View, etc are not working.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 03:20 AM   #2
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

Take it to the dealer and tell them about your issues. They install the latest update for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 07:04 AM   #3
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashrafn_007 View Post
Hi Guys, this is my first time to share my experience with you,
I got BMW x5 50i last year in November, and until now i never received any updates from BMW. my installed version is : 11/2018.49

i tried to check from BMW Software update page using my VIN number, but it always says no updates.

I tried a lot to check any remote updates from the vehicle but nothing since that date.

Does anyone know how to solve that issue ?

Currently i have issues with :
1) Carplay, doesn't work at all. Only after resetting my iDrive ,it
worked once then it stopped again.

2) Wi fi Mirroring is not working.

3) "Connected" App on iPhone doesn't work at all. version 10.3.1574.
Only works for sharing destination from Maps to my car.
remote locking/unlocking, 3D View, etc are not working.

I currently have 11.48 on my 50i as well. Have zero issues with iDrive. My biggest fear is having it updated this Wednesday (which my dealership insists I do so I have cornering lights) and then random issues start appearing.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #4
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB316 View Post
I currently have 11.48 on my 50i as well. Have zero issues with iDrive. My biggest fear is having it updated this Wednesday (which my dealership insists I do so I have cornering lights) and then random issues start appearing.
I have the same adn I'm not updating. I saw cornering lights adn they are worthless. Do not update just for that.

There is really nothing in the update worth doing.

When BMW has real improvements - I will update and will gladly pay for it to be done right

I will consider the update when

- Driving assistance Pro (update to plus)
- Driving recorder
- New assist drive graphics
- Laser light full functionality
- climate rules to get car warm or cold with remote start
- Android auto
- digital key on Apple phone
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 09:35 AM   #5
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Quote:
I have the same adn I'm not updating. I saw cornering lights adn they are worthless. Do not update just for that.

When BMW has real improvements - I will update and will gladly pay for it to be done right

- Driving recorder
- Android auto
Agreed! Sounds like more hassle then it's worth
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:00 AM   #6
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
That’s what I am running.(Nov 2018) Other than the occasional home address needing to be reentered in the Nav and a few other minor issues, I am not really in a rush to update. I took the “wait and see” mind set over the spring and summer and have seen a lot of more annoying issues introduced after the update. So my mind set now “is there any current issues I am having to risk introducing trouble?” No. The risk to reward isn’t worth it yet. I need some real advancements or crippling glitches to get any updates.
Appreciate 2
      08-19-2019, 12:01 PM   #7
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i (2019)

Quote:

- Driving recorder
- Android auto
Some of these can never be addressed via iDrive update because it is tied into some extra piece of hardware per features of every particular car. I personally have no problems with upgrading and always first in line whenever latest ios gets released etc. Never had any significant issues with it, small annoyances yes, but to be realistic software industry can't operate without them.

- Driving assistance Pro (update to plus) As comes with the car. Only some "visuals" can be improved to make it more convenient / fancy
- Driving recorder Add-on feature with 2020 top tier package, will not be retro-fitted.
- New assist drive graphics Graphics is already at it's top quality, we can talk here only about some bugs or minor changes in objects representation. I think I heard they will be adding some more maps details into the main odometer cluster
- Laser light full functionality I might be missing something here, are they not fully functional now? Mine has it and I didn't notice any issues.
- climate rules to get car warm or cold with remote start It's already available, if you don't have it yet then it gives you a good reason to upgrade.
- Android auto Hmm, doubt they will retrofit it via iDrive update but perhaps I'm wrong here
- digital key on Apple phone This would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 01:48 PM   #8
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinV View Post
- Driving assistance Pro (update to plus) As comes with the car. Only some "visuals" can be improved to make it more convenient / fancy

Those who got Plus may already have the required cameras so in theory an update can give them ETJA.

- New assist drive graphics Graphics is already at it's top quality, we can talk here only about some bugs or minor changes in objects representation. I think I heard they will be adding some more maps details into the main odometer cluster

I think he is referring to the graphics in the IC that are available with the July update.

- Laser light full functionality I might be missing something here, are they not fully functional now? Mine has it and I didn't notice any issues.

The laser lights for the US, and I think Canada, do not have the anti-dazzle enabled and I believe the brightness is limited.

- Android auto Hmm, doubt they will retrofit it via iDrive update but perhaps I'm wrong here

Agreed, I believe BMW has said (perhaps it wasn't an official release) that there are no plans to offer Android Auto in the future.

- digital key on Apple phone This would be nice.

It will hopefully be available by the end of the year since Apple has announced the framework for it.
Personally I would not forgo updates since they provide fixes and new features. Any problems that have been introduced have generally been very minor.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 06:48 PM   #9
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Quote:

- Driving recorder
- Android auto
same here, but not sure what the climate rules. our starts with the a/c on to cool the car. assuming it will warm the car when it gets colder.

definitely looking forward to full functionality of the laser light!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 04:12 AM   #10
ashrafn_007
Registered
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i - 2019 - G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimster82 View Post
Take it to the dealer and tell them about your issues. They install the latest update for you.
I Went to the dealer yesterday, they told me the system is down and mobile app is not working.
They asked to leave the vehicle for days but i refused, i need it for the moment.
I'll bring it back to the dealer after getting my first service in 2000KM.

is it possible to get same update file from someone who get the updates then i upload it to the vehicle by myself or it's risky ?
Appreciate 0