08-22-2019, 01:40 AM   #23
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by geddylee View Post
Good to know I am not the only one that things the steering in the new X5 sucks. It's better in the Q7 which is saying something. The rest of the X5 is a big improvement though.
It's a little better than the F15 but still sucks. The only time I felt somewhat connected was taking turns at 50+ mph. It's definitely a vehicle you have to be driving at the limits to truly enjoy. Savagegeese just put out a review of the new Z4 saying the exact same thing about that car.

Anyhow, the Cayenne seriously isn't much better. I haven't driven the S and GTS models, but at least the base V6 is mostly a snooze-fest too when it comes to steering. X5 is easily the best vehicle in this segment.
Appreciate 1
geddylee176.00
      08-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #24
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
let's face it, the Audi isn't going to move up the list, at best it'll remain #3, but it's likely to fade to #4
Says the guy considering an Audi.

“now that the Audi RS6 Avant is launching stateside I'm almost temped to buy one. I've been dreaming of a hot wagon for so long.... but it's an Audi with their awful infotainment dual touchscreen mess so”
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 09:52 AM   #25
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
Says the guy considering an Audi.

“now that the Audi RS6 Avant is launching stateside I'm almost temped to buy one. I've been dreaming of a hot wagon for so long.... but it's an Audi with their awful infotainment dual touchscreen mess so”
I've also owned an Audi before. The outgoing Q7 was extremely boring as is the new one. Their RS vehicles are different but I still hate their infotainment system and lack of luxury offered. I will look at one but if it doesn't check all of the boxes I'm out. We will see what pricing is too, I'm not paying $130k for an RS6 Avant when I'd rather get an M850 GC for that money if I get either.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 2
Tenac4537.00
nvsocr755.00
      08-22-2019, 10:50 AM   #26
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
I've also owned an Audi before. The outgoing Q7 was extremely boring as is the new one. Their RS vehicles are different but I still hate their infotainment system and lack of luxury offered. I will look at one but if it doesn't check all of the boxes I'm out. We will see what pricing is too, I'm not paying $130k for an RS6 Avant when I'd rather get an M850 GC for that money if I get either.
As a ex multi Audi owner, I researched the RS6 the last few days. It’s exciting that Audi is bringing another RS model to North America but it’s still not enough. There are 3 levels of performance you can order with the upcoming RS6 basically changing the top speed limiter. The car is still aiming to a level of last year. What I am saying is Audi is just trying to keep up and not class lead. The reports I have read are hyper focused on exterior lighting as typical of what Audi finds a priority these days. The press will love it as they seem to love muscle station wagons as a middle finger to SUV’s yet non of them will actually own one of these dragon-wagons. Personally If all I wanted was a fast large sedan then I would get a M5 and call it a day. It will tear up and spit out the new RS6 on every level of performance for the same price point.

Last edited by MystroX5; 08-22-2019 at 10:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 11:04 AM   #27
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
As a ex multi Audi owner, I researched the RS6 the last few days. It’s exciting that Audi is bringing another RS model to North America but it’s still not enough. There are 3 levels of performance you can order with the upcoming RS6 basically changing the top speed limiter. The car is still aiming to a level of last year. What I am saying is Audi is just trying to keep up and not class lead. The reports I have read are hyper focused on exterior lighting as typical of what Audi finds a priority these days. The press will love it as they seem to love muscle station wagons as a middle finger to SUV’s yet non of them will actually own one of these dragon-wagons. Personally If all I wanted was a fast large sedan then I would get a M5 and call it a day. It will tear up and spit out the new RS6 on every level of performance for the same price point.
I agree, I was doing the same thing and unfortunately, they are going to disappoint us there. I personally like the 8 GC styling better than the M5, but the M5 is another level of fun (the 8 GC isn't out yet so no test drives). If BMW or Alpina offered touring models here that would be another story.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 11:16 AM   #28
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

The 8 GC is a serious statement car. It’s gorgeous and going to be the next superstar. I would bet it’s going to be the luxury “it” car driven by celebrities.

Quote:
I agree, I was doing the same thing and unfortunately, they are going to disappoint us there. I personally like the 8 GC styling better than the M5, but the M5 is another level of fun (the 8 GC isn't out yet so no test drives). If BMW or Alpina offered touring models here that would be another story.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 11:25 AM   #29
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
The 8 GC is a serious statement car. It's gorgeous and going to be the next superstar. I would bet it's going to be the luxury "it" car driven by celebrities.

Quote:
I love the styling if the 8GC, not so much the normal coupe. I'm willing to bed the M8GC will be a popular one too. $130k fully optioned really isn't bad but that's also M5 Comp territory with ceramic brakes. I'd like to see the 8GC in an individual color such as Twilight Purple, , Violet Blue, British Racing Green, Oxford Green and even Nardo Grey for that Audi look
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 12:02 PM   #30
Np2014
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Bsm/Sb

The entire Audi corporate board should resign or be fired now! No Sq7 or Rsq7 in the USA is just plain stupid and making Audi irrelevant quick. The trend for years has been going toward powerful suvs X5 50i, X5m, Gle 63, X3M etc and audi brings in a sub 330 hp suv in the Q7. Hell Even the Q8 is severely underpowered and overpriced.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 01:04 PM   #31
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Np2014 View Post
The entire Audi corporate board should resign or be fired now! No Sq7 or Rsq7 in the USA is just plain stupid and making Audi irrelevant quick. The trend for years has been going toward powerful suvs X5 50i, X5m, Gle 63, X3M etc and audi brings in a sub 330 hp suv in the Q7. Hell Even the Q8 is severely underpowered and overpriced.
Yes, if they would have had a real motor in the Q8 it may have won my dollars over the X5. For the price of entry with decent tech and the look they package it in, it should be putting down a bare minimum 370hp in entry level form at that weight.

How there is not an RSQ5 existing in its second generation for USA Sales by now is beyond my comprehension.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 01:27 PM   #32
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

This is a bad review example. They have already decided to crown Porsche the winner.

I drove the Porsche Cayenne a few days back but was not impressed as everyone seems to claim. I would take the X5 any day.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 01:28 PM   #33
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

This is a bad review example. They have already decided to crown Porsche the winner.

I drove the Porsche Cayenne a few days back but was not impressed as everyone seems to claim. I would take the X5 any day.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #34
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
VAG has to keep Audi from surpassing Porsche, Porsche from beating Lamborghini, and none can be nice like a Bentley. They have too many brands, therefore, stifle their lineups for sales/money reasons. BMW and Mercedes don't have this restriction
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 01:35 PM   #35
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post

They handle well but aren't anywhere near what my 50i feels like, even a well optioned Turbo I was in... The Cayenne isn't top of its class anymore, BMW should have the crown and I only say that from experience driving everything. Reliability is another story as is the case with my X5. The handling is unreal for something this heavy with the DHP, my tires hurt for traction more than the chassis leans.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 01:52 PM   #36
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Yes and yes. This vehicle structure has to be understood to know why the VAG is actually limited in their products by their own hand. This was never the case with Porsche when they were free to experiment and push the limits. That is not the case anymore. I have owned Porsche 911’s under both independent and corporate divisions. There is a difference. I detest what Porsche has become and recognize when they started to adopt the price gouging system that they actually made less quality cars yet we were asked to pay more money.

Quote:
VAG has to keep Audi from surpassing Porsche, Porsche from beating Lamborghini, and none can be nice like a Bentley. They have too many brands, therefore, stifle their lineups for sales/money reasons. BMW and Mercedes don't have this restriction
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2019, 01:54 PM   #37
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

BMW is hurting themselves with the suspension options and packaging for the 40i. M-Sport is a rather large ticket item on the overall cost and ARS/DHP isn’t even available. For that reason alone I’m leaning towards the Q8 or Cayenne.

However now when I’ve looked closer at the cars and done some initial test drives I’m not feeling much if any improvement in the actual driving experience to our 2013 Cayenne and will likely keep it another couple of years to see if BMW update the 40i suspension. The Q8 might lure me into it earlier if a longer test drive confirm the positive 1st drive.

The RS6 and other power wagons have one thing the SUVs don’t. It’s cool. The E60 M5 Touring is IMO the coolest M car built. Do I prefer a wagon over an SUV? Nope I love the high ground clearance on forest roads and in deep snow winter time. But performance wagons are undeniably cool.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 01:56 PM   #38
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Quote:
As a ex multi Audi owner, I researched the RS6 the last few days. It's exciting that Audi is bringing another RS model to North America but it's still not enough. There are 3 levels of performance you can order with the upcoming RS6 basically changing the top speed limiter. The car is still aiming to a level of last year. What I am saying is Audi is just trying to keep up and not class lead. The reports I have read are hyper focused on exterior lighting as typical of what Audi finds a priority these days. The press will love it as they seem to love muscle station wagons as a middle finger to SUV's yet non of them will actually own one of these dragon-wagons. Personally If all I wanted was a fast large sedan then I would get a M5 and call it a day. It will tear up and spit out the new RS6 on every level of performance for the same price point.
Audi South Austin wants a $5000 deposit just to get on a waiting list for an RS6. That is ridiculous, I'm on a waiting list for a MB G550 right now and no money was required, for a much more expensive car. My RS6 interest has pretty much dropped to 0. I am still considering a Cayenne though, I personally found the steering to have better feel than the G05, closer to my G01. Just goes to show that everything about handling is pretty subjective.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #39
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
BMW is hurting themselves with the suspension options and packaging for the 40i. M-Sport is a rather large ticket item on the overall cost and ARS/DHP isn’t even available. For that reason alone I’m leaning towards the Q8 or Cayenne.

However now when I’ve looked closer at the cars and done some initial test drives I’m not feeling much if any improvement in the actual driving experience to our 2013 Cayenne and will likely keep it another couple of years to see if BMW update the 40i suspension. The Q8 might lure me into it earlier if a longer test drive confirm the positive 1st drive.

The RS6 and other power wagons have one thing the SUVs don’t. It’s cool. The E60 M5 Touring is IMO the coolest M car built. Do I prefer a wagon over an SUV? Nope I love the high ground clearance on forest roads and in deep snow winter time. But performance wagons are undeniably cool.
A X5 40i M-Sport handles really really well without DHP. Honestly you have to push the X5 to great limits to get the DHP to be a factor. Most will never come close to pushing this big SUV to its cornering limits.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #40
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
Audi South Austin wants a $5000 deposit just to get on a waiting list for an RS6. That is ridiculous, I'm on a waiting list for a MB G550 right now and no money was required, for a much more expensive car. My RS6 interest has pretty much dropped to 0. I am still considering a Cayenne though, I personally found the steering to have better feel than the G05, closer to my G01. Just goes to show that everything about handling is pretty subjective.
Sounds like a money grab, I'm sure there are contingencies to prevent that from ever coming back to you if you cancelled...

The G-Wagon is interesting because the new ones actually are properly modern san aerodynamics. I wish they kept that ridiculous V12 in their G65, but I suppose the G63 is also good. It would be hard to get a slower SUV that doesn't handle well even though I like the G-Wagon for its presence.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 02:13 PM   #41
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Quote:
Sounds like a money grab, I'm sure there are contingencies to prevent that from ever coming back to you if you cancelled...

The G-Wagon is interesting because the new ones actually are properly modern san aerodynamics. I wish they kept that ridiculous V12 in their G65, but I suppose the G63 is also good. It would be hard to get a slower SUV that doesn't handle well even though I like the G-Wagon for its presence.
Part of the draw for the G Wagon is it's safety. I have my kids in the backseat about 95% of the time I am driving (curse of being a SAHM) and the G Wagon is a tank. The G63 is fast in a straight line, but that is pretty much it, the handling isn't an improvement over the G550, which is why I am not considering that AMG (still looking at an E63S wagon though too). I am sort of indecisive since my husband told me I had to keep my next car for 6-7 years, instead of my 1-3 years currently. So my preference right now is the Cayenne E Hybrid, the E63S wagon, the G550 with the X5 M50i as a back up car, since that one is cheaper. First world problems.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 02:19 PM   #42
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Part of the draw for the G Wagon is it's safety. I have my kids in the backseat about 95% of the time I am driving (curse of being a SAHM) and the G Wagon is a tank. The G63 is fast in a straight line, but that is pretty much it, the handling isn't an improvement over the G550, which is why I am not considering that AMG (still looking at an E63S wagon though too). I am sort of indecisive since my husband told me I had to keep my next car for 6-7 years, instead of my 1-3 years currently. So my preference right now is the Cayenne E Hybrid, the E63S wagon, the G550 with the X5 M50i as a back up car, since that one is cheaper. First world problems.
The X5 is a top safety pick+, no US ratings for the G Wagon but the Euro ones lower than BMW for kids as seen in the below links. Their tests are stricter than ours so that's what I'd go by.

X5 Euro NCAP

New G550 Euro NCAP

Euro NCAP Cayenne
Appreciate 1
TXSchnee1307.50
      08-22-2019, 03:59 PM   #43
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
A X5 40i M-Sport handles really really well without DHP. Honestly you have to push the X5 to great limits to get the DHP to be a factor. Most will never come close to pushing this big SUV to its cornering limits.
Thanks, I’ll make sure my next X5 test drive is configured as such. The Audi dealer made me an interesting offer that I’ll likely take them up on. They said to call them when I schedule my next drive of the Cayenne and X5 and they’ll lend me a Q8 to drive to and from each test drive to get an immediate comparison.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 06:22 PM   #44
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Quote:
Thanks, I’ll make sure my next X5 test drive is configured as such. The Audi dealer made me an interesting offer that I’ll likely take them up on. They said to call them when I schedule my next drive of the Cayenne and X5 and they’ll lend me a Q8 to drive to and from each test drive to get an immediate comparison.
what's funny is the Q8 will only make you realize how good the other 2 are
Appreciate 0