anelson524
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 AY F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
Seamaster vs Aquaracer

I been looking at purchasing one of these two watches. They seem very similar to me but I wanted to get some insight from some bigger watch enthusiasts to help me make the right decision!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
1bad335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I/ 2012 335I sportline

Hey Andrew I have a seamaster and love it. I have had it for quite a few years now. I went with the upgraded full on diver version since I do dive and have used it diving many times. The watch itself is bulletproof and mine has seen quite a bit of abuse. It is a nice size and looks beefy on the wrist. By today's standards it is probably not big at all. Overall I rate the watch a 10 out of 10. Here's a couple of pics...

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
anelson524
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
Haha I just looked at this same watch. I like omegas more but it was just so busy for me on the face. I like the blue seamaster professional though that is where I'm leaning now. The face is a bit smaller than my liking.

Where is the best place to purchase nice watches? A jewelry store would be nice for warranty/service but you can find most watches new for 50-75% on the Internet.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Neither. IWC Aquatimer.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
kits135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Coming Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Neither. IWC Aquatimer.
Would have to agree here
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Trijicon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I too was in the same boat long time ago when deciding on my first dive watch. Through my research, it seemed as though Omega carried a more robust heritage and held its resale much better. I went with Omega, I'm sure I'll get shot down by Tag lovers, but this was just my observation.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trijicon View Post
I too was in the same boat long time ago when deciding on my first dive watch. Through my research, it seemed as though Omega carried a more robust heritage and held its resale much better. I went with Omega, I'm sure I'll get shot down by Tag lovers, but this was just my observation.
I completely agree. The fatal flaw I find with Tag Heuer is that many chain jewelry stores carry their lower end models next to Movado and Raymond Weil. Tag Heuer makes some very nice timepieces, but there is a huge gap between even their low and mid range watches.

I'd go with the Seamaster 10 times out of 10. It's a fantastic watch all around: excellent build quality, good brand history, holds its value well, and every mall in America doesn't carry them.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
anelson524
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmahany View Post
I completely agree. The fatal flaw I find with Tag Heuer is that many chain jewelry stores carry their lower end models next to Movado and Raymond Weil. Tag Heuer makes some very nice timepieces, but there is a huge gap between even their low and mid range watches.

I'd go with the Seamaster 10 times out of 10. It's a fantastic watch all around: excellent build quality, good brand history, holds its value well, and every mall in America doesn't carry them.
Yeah after looking at them more and more it really seemed like the Seamaster was far superior. I bought a 2220.80 Seamaster this past weekend but now after eyeing this Skyfall Limited Edition or 50th Anniv. I'm thinking of returning the seamaster and selling my Breitling I got as a gift and throwing some extra $ for the Skyfall one. I just love how it looks and the bigger planet ocean sizing.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
bkbeagle
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i Convertible

As Deion Sanders famously said "Both"

All kidding aside I would go with Omega for all the reasons mentioned. Having said that, in the spirit of full disclosure I also own a Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 and a Heuer Silverstone Chrono Brown. I love the Tags, but I have to admit that the Omegas get more wrist time

Good Luck!
Attached Images

2013 335i Mojave Luxury, Dakota Venetian Beige
Cold/Premium Package, NAV, Driver Assist

Last edited by bkbeagle; 05-07-2013 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #10
a08335k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Can't go wrong with an Omega. I bought the seamaster 2265.80 'electric blue' a few years back as they were getting discontinued and just love it. IMO I prefer it over the new ones. I wear it more than my date just 2 cause it goes well with everything.
Good luck with your decision!!
      05-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #11
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by anelson524 View Post
Yeah after looking at them more and more it really seemed like the Seamaster was far superior. I bought a 2220.80 Seamaster this past weekend but now after eyeing this Skyfall Limited Edition or 50th Anniv. I'm thinking of returning the seamaster and selling my Breitling I got as a gift and throwing some extra $ for the Skyfall one. I just love how it looks and the bigger planet ocean sizing.
If you plan to keep the watch forever then disregard this, but if you have any intention of selling it down the road I'd certainly go with a limited edition. With luxury items like watches, pens, and even high end vehicles limited editions will usually become an investment. Just don't confuse "limited edition" vs "special edition."

Limited Edition- Only a specific number is made. Usually it will be market with a number system such as 2525/5000 made. These become dual collectibles between people that appreciate the item itself as well as people who are looking for an investment opportunity. You also know that they will never make more of that same edition.

Special Edition- These can be re-introduced to the market because they aren't necessarily numbered. It may still be a good item and a good investment, but understand that "special editions" can come and go at any point in the life cycle of the product. A somewhat relevant example would be with the Jordan shoes. The originals were worth gobs of money (and still are), but when Nike/Jordan reintroduced some of the retro models, the originals took a bit of a hit in price because the market became more flooded with similar products.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #12
anelson524
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmahany View Post
If you plan to keep the watch forever then disregard this, but if you have any intention of selling it down the road I'd certainly go with a limited edition. With luxury items like watches, pens, and even high end vehicles limited editions will usually become an investment. Just don't confuse "limited edition" vs "special edition."

Limited Edition- Only a specific number is made. Usually it will be market with a number system such as 2525/5000 made. These become dual collectibles between people that appreciate the item itself as well as people who are looking for an investment opportunity. You also know that they will never make more of that same edition.

Special Edition- These can be re-introduced to the market because they aren't necessarily numbered. It may still be a good item and a good investment, but understand that "special editions" can come and go at any point in the life cycle of the product. A somewhat relevant example would be with the Jordan shoes. The originals were worth gobs of money (and still are), but when Nike/Jordan reintroduced some of the retro models, the originals took a bit of a hit in price because the market became more flooded with similar products.
Yeah I completely agree. The Skyfall Limited Edition would definitely be something to buy new and hold onto and never wear.
Appreciate 0