BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-18-2019, 09:16 AM   #1
hk5er
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: I20 iX xDrive40i

Replacement headunit shortage?

About close to a month ago, my navigation system stopped working after sending in the car to replace the BDC. The dealer didn't say why and how it was broken but they said a replacement headunit was needed to fix the problem. As of now, BMW AG hasn't sent the headunit out due to short supply apparently.

Am just curious if there's anyone else also waiting for a replacement headunit as this seem to be a worldwide shortage issue. Headunit is not that delicate hardware isn't it?

Also didn't understand why replacing the headunit will fix the problem as the navigation was working fine before sending the car in. The BDC was actually working fine but the dealer thinks that it should be replaced as the battery was replaced less than one week after collecting the car from dealer.
      06-18-2019, 02:36 PM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk5er View Post
About close to a month ago, my navigation system stopped working after sending in the car to replace the BDC. The dealer didn't say why and how it was broken but they said a replacement headunit was needed to fix the problem. As of now, BMW AG hasn't sent the headunit out due to short supply apparently.

Am just curious if there's anyone else also waiting for a replacement headunit as this seem to be a worldwide shortage issue. Headunit is not that delicate hardware isn't it?

Also didn't understand why replacing the headunit will fix the problem as the navigation was working fine before sending the car in. The BDC was actually working fine but the dealer thinks that it should be replaced as the battery was replaced less than one week after collecting the car from dealer.
Most likely dealer has a TSARA case open with NA and NA techs are calling the shots.

Things fail. IDrive7 is a fairly complicated piece of electronics. It ought to be for what they charge for out of warranty replacements.