BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-19-2019, 03:49 PM   #1
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

X5 Remote Started 3 Hours Late

My X5 just started itself in my garage. Luckily I happened to be in a room near the garage so that I heard it start up and could stop it.

I'm assuming it was from a remote start request I made from my Apple Watch about 3 hours ago. I sent the remote start request, but when I got to my car, it hadn't started.

Since that failed request over the past 3 hours running errands, I executed successful remote starts from the key fob and also the iPhone app. But I'm guessing the Apple Watch request was still floating about somewhere and just finally pushed through.

Just something to keep an eye on if you ever have a remote start request fail. Kind of scary to know your X5 can just start itself with no request immediately preceding it.
Appreciate 3
gpitts247.00
Tenac4537.00
      06-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
My X5 just started itself in my garage. Luckily I happened to be in a room near the garage so that I heard it start up and could stop it.

I'm assuming it was from a remote start request I made from my Apple Watch about 3 hours ago. I sent the remote start request, but when I got to my car, it hadn't started.

Since that failed request over the past 3 hours running errands, I executed successful remote starts from the key fob and also the iPhone app. But I'm guessing the Apple Watch request was still floating about somewhere and just finally pushed through.

Just something to keep an eye on if you ever have a remote start request fail. Kind of scary to know your X5 can just start itself with no request immediately preceding it.
This is very scary, some peoples garages are under their bedrooms in split level and other home designs. Whatever the logic is, there's not enough checks in the system before the command is carried out in order for it to be considered safe. You don't wake up from CO poisoning.
You might want to contact the Carbon Monoxide Safety Association, 242 Forest Drive, Kallispell, MT 59901. (800) 394-5253 phone, (800) 546-3726 fax and find out what action you should take to get this in front of the proper authority for investigation.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 04:21 PM   #3
Hchhuor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 LX570

My remote start through iPhone bmw connected drive app stop working over a month ago. But remote start with key fob work just fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 05:28 PM   #4
rlou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e 2017 X3 2.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
This is very scary, some peoples garages are under their bedrooms in split level and other home designs. Whatever the logic is, there's not enough checks in the system before the command is carried out in order for it to be considered safe. You don't wake up from CO poisoning.
FWIW, I believe the X5 will only run for 15 min after remote starting and then auto-shutoff if driver doesn't show up.
Appreciate 1
Tenac4537.00
      06-19-2019, 05:39 PM   #5
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
You might want to contact the Carbon Monoxide Safety Association, 242 Forest Drive, Kallispell, MT 59901. (800) 394-5253 phone, (800) 546-3726 fax and find out what action you should take to get this in front of the proper authority for investigation.
That's a bit of a steep suggestion While i completely am with you on the CO2 poisoning and as a matter of fact there was an article in the news just yesterday about something exactly similar on a Ford but in that case the owner left his car running unknowingly after a trip and went inside the home.

Exactly for this and a couple of more reasons is why BMW built the auto shut off feature on a remote start after 15 minutes
Appreciate 2
Tenac4537.00
      06-19-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post

Damn that is scary and stupid lol. The more technology the cars get fitted with the more bugs come up.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 08:52 PM   #7
Smithcinema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5

This connected drive issue is getting dangerous now they better fire the entire department and hire Lexus employees to fix this they should be ashamed,my wife will not drive this x5 she said if bmw can't get the iPhone to connect to make a call or play music or remote Services she sure don't trust them to self drive the vehicle
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:15 PM   #8
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithcinema View Post
This connected drive issue is getting dangerous now they better fire the entire department and hire Lexus employees to fix this they should be ashamed,my wife will not drive this x5 she said if bmw can't get the iPhone to connect to make a call or play music or remote Services she sure don't trust them to self drive the vehicle
The X5 does not self drive at this time..... I'd be curious if BMW is the ones who are actually making the software or if they contracted the work out to a third party.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:16 PM   #9
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
I am cynical, but even I have to assume that the teams at BMW that work on real drive-line software have to be at least vigorously laughing at their counterpart utterly safety-incompetent/inept infotainment/connected systems jokers (I can't even bring myself to call them engineers). Like this is 2nd or 3rd year university systems reliability kind of stuff, our school projects worked with more safety in mind than this. Unbelievable.
      06-19-2019, 09:57 PM   #10
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

I would have a heart attack if I was in bed and I heard the engine start up lol
Appreciate 0