BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-30-2020, 09:39 AM   #1
vonkobalus
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Can G05 drive dynamically by speed limits?

Hi, I know that G05 detects signs and suggests speed limits based on streets signs and GPS data. But does G05 also have an option to drive dynamically by speed limits, that is, when adaptive cruise control is active? For example, I set 90kmh limit on cruise control, and when detected speed limit is for example 60kmh, vehicle would slow down to 60kmh?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 09:55 AM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Yes, that functionality is available in some countries and I believe I read possible by coding.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 10:29 AM   #3
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

Yes. Search for aSLA. It involves changing the values of I think 15 codes in 4 ECUs.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 10:58 AM   #4
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Not in the US, but I much prefer BMW's system to Audi's (as in my 2018 Q7). Here's why:

In the Audi, if you had automatic speed control set, it changed the speed automatically based on speed limit signs. For example, it automatically lowered your speed to 25 mph (or even 15 mph) in a school zone, even if the school zone was inactive (i.e., not during school hours or on weekends). Immediately. Even with moving traffic behind you. Which was not amused by you suddenly reducing speed more than 30 mph lower than the posted limit.

Or driving on the Interstate, it would read the posted limit and adjust speed accordingly. Including the access road sign parallel to the Interstate, which was 40 mph slower than the actual posted Interstate speed. Sometimes with - really fast - moving traffic behind you. Which was not amused by you suddenly reducing speed more than 40 mph lower than the posted limit.

Or the posted truck speed, not applicable to you, also lower than the posted limit for cars. Because, you see, it couldn't tell the difference.

Or the hand-lettered sign in the construction zone, which you could read as 30 mph. Which the Audi, however read as 80 mph. Very exciting.

In the BMW, it simply pops up a speed limit sign in the HUD and allows you to select it. Or not. Without the drama. I prefer, let's see, BMW. Without having to think too much about it.
Appreciate 2
chrisny546.50
sahajesh2290.00
      01-30-2020, 12:04 PM   #5
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Not in the US, but I much prefer BMW's system to Audi's (as in my 2018 Q7). Here's why:

In the Audi, if you had automatic speed control set, it changed the speed automatically based on speed limit signs. For example, it automatically lowered your speed to 25 mph (or even 15 mph) in a school zone, even if the school zone was inactive (i.e., not during school hours or on weekends). Immediately. Even with moving traffic behind you. Which was not amused by you suddenly reducing speed more than 30 mph lower than the posted limit.

Or driving on the Interstate, it would read the posted limit and adjust speed accordingly. Including the access road sign parallel to the Interstate, which was 40 mph slower than the actual posted Interstate speed. Sometimes with - really fast - moving traffic behind you. Which was not amused by you suddenly reducing speed more than 40 mph lower than the posted limit.

Or the posted truck speed, not applicable to you, also lower than the posted limit for cars. Because, you see, it couldn't tell the difference.

Or the hand-lettered sign in the construction zone, which you could read as 30 mph. Which the Audi, however read as 80 mph. Very exciting.

In the BMW, it simply pops up a speed limit sign in the HUD and allows you to select it. Or not. Without the drama. I prefer, let's see, BMW. Without having to think too much about it.
That's a mess. But even with aSLA, the BMW systems seems pretty intuitive without abrupt changes. Only real reliability trouble I found while testing the aSLA coding is that it couldn't read my mind — if navigation says take exit and I decide to keep going, the slow down near the exit is a surprise.
      01-30-2020, 12:12 PM   #6
six
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Here in the UK it does adjust the speed limit for adaptive cruise control. sometimes it works well and other times not so much. As has been mentioned it’s high risk when it spots a much lower limit and adjusts immediately when you’re cruising along at 80mph.

Mine has read speed limits in car parks I’ve passed at 10 mph and adjusted and here in the UK lots of urban areas have 20mph limits with signs at the turn in to the respective road. Mine is forever picking them up and slowing me from 50, 40 or 30 mph very abruptly.

Also a new source of irritation last week was 60mph roads in Scotland with a 40mph for trucks. Guess what mine decided to do every time it saw a 40mph for trucks sign, hmmm
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2020, 01:39 PM   #7
DrMartin
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

I would add to the above mentioned fails of signs detection the fact that it may read exit from residential area as common road or crossroad and cancel the speed limit that was set previously.

Also the system doesn't see correctly the speed limit upon some conditions - weather, type of transport, specific lane on a highway where there could be a slower speed limit.

These all issues affect the signs detection reliability, which I think is no more than 50%. I never used aSLA, because of that, it can be dangerous or lead to multiple fines for overspeed.

Overall, IMO driving assistant works nice as traffic jam assistant or on a highway that you know well.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 03:08 PM   #8
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

I have a polarising experience in the UK. It works 95% of the time and I hardly ever set the cruise speed anymore. So relaxing!

Very occasionally spots a discarded temporary road works speed limit sign that workmen leave behind, but other than that it's nailed on.

Not known any weather dependency with aSLA. Distance control yes, but not aSLA which makes sense as it uses NAV data when road sign info is not available. Maybe the Honda Civic behaves differently
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 11:33 PM   #9
Steve1984
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

It’s one of the first features that I searched for and turned on in my car but also one of the first I had to turn off again.

Works rather nice on smaller roads but when doing 120km/h on the highway the camera’s sometimes spot lower speed limit signs on an exit or a parallel road The adjustment to the lower speed limit that follows is dangerous at highway speeds as no one driving around you expects it.

Maybe the cars intelligent systems will be improved to avoid this in the future. I’ll keep trying it as software updates roll in but for now ... I keep it disabled.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 05:56 AM   #10
pavloPL
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 M Sport 40i

Does a system works for roundabouts and sharper curves? Does it slows you down automatically?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 07:42 AM   #11
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavloPL View Post
Does a system works for roundabouts and sharper curves? Does it slows you down automatically?
Yes it slows down. And it looks at the navigator route and also slows down when you turn right or left at the next intersection.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 09:39 AM   #12
2REP
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavloPL View Post
It does indeed slow down for roundabouts and sharp turns. It does take the turn or roundabout at a slower pace as I would normally take them but accelerates nicely out of them
I even had it stop for traffic lights a few times.. red lights of course
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 09:49 AM   #13
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Quote:

After coding aSLA it works excellent in the US. It does however not understand when school zones are active or not, unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 04:41 PM   #14
pavloPL
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 M Sport 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2REP View Post
It does indeed slow down for roundabouts and sharp turns. It does take the turn or roundabout at a slower pace as I would normally take them but accelerates nicely out of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by perikifi View Post
Yes it slows down. And it looks at the navigator route and also slows down when you turn right or left at the next intersection.

Great! Thanks for info, I don’t know why BMW does not mention it anywhere as it is great feature.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 05:15 PM   #15
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Are you sure it stops for traffic lights or does it just slow down for the junction which just so happens to have traffic lights on it?

The traffic light stop/restart feature is not available on any Bmw or even Tesla model yet. The coding is there for the g05, but not active in firmware. Have you coded the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 08:37 PM   #16
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black

Quote:
Did it stop at traffic light by itself or was there a car ahead of you?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:03 PM   #17
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJedi View Post
Audi had/has that feature in MMI, but only for specific cities (I believe Las Vegas was one). Requires a connection with some advanced centralized traffic system that is far from universal.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:10 PM   #18
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Audi had/has that feature in MMI, but only for specific cities (I believe Las Vegas was one). Requires a connection with some advanced centralized traffic system that is far from universal.
I wonder with the latest camera technology and matured AI software it shouldn't be so complicated. Camera should just detect Red light and stop the way it detects different speed signs.

Setting up a centralised infrastructure will be too expensive and not every city may go with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:38 PM   #19
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
I wonder with the latest camera technology and matured AI software it shouldn't be so complicated. Camera should just detect Red light and stop the way it detects different speed signs.
Oh, it's complicated! (that exists ... in my city!)
Attached Images

02-06-2020, 09:42 PM   #20
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Oh, it's complicated! (that exists ... in my city!)
This is indeed complicated even for driving manually, let alone ACC
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 10:38 PM   #21
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Setting up a centralised infrastructure will be too expensive and not every city may go with it.
Hmmm...my bad - not exactly the same thing, just tells you when the lights will change:

https://media.audiusa.com/en-us/releases/241

I can see how the whole "stopping at a red light" technology could present a universe of legal problems.
Appreciate 1
OzJedi107.00
      02-08-2020, 10:27 AM   #22
2REP
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e M

Quote:
It stopped by itself without a car in front. Both times it was at a new intersection with completely new traffic lights. Maybe it was a test setup because the car hasn't detected any other traffic lights since.
It's quite a bit out of my way but I'll film it next time I'm in the neighborhood. In my opinion the ACC is the best I've seen in any car..
Appreciate 2
OzJedi107.00
volodp193.50