BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-15-2017, 01:24 PM   #1
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

How would you break this down?

13 days to spend in Europe. Flying into and out of Vienna. How would you Europe experts break it down? Some people love Vienna and can spend a week or two there. Others love Budapest and Prague.

Vienna - 3 days (not including landing day)
Prague- 4 days (including one day or traveling)
Munich - 4 days
Vienna - 1 day (back to Vienna for a day before flying back)

Would Budapest be too much to pack in?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 03:43 AM   #2
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

I really don't think you need to spend that amount of days in Vienne and Prague. Unless you are going to use the cities to do day trips from. The same for Munich I suppose as well?

What do you plan on doing, what do you want to see and so on?

Have you been to any of these cities previously?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 05:00 AM   #3
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
I really don't think you need to spend that amount of days in Vienne and Prague. Unless you are going to use the cities to do day trips from. The same for Munich I suppose as well?

What do you plan on doing, what do you want to see and so on?

Have you been to any of these cities previously?
I've been to Munich many times before. This time I'm going with a few people that haven't been to Europe for Oktoberfest. We plan on doing a few day trips from Munich and Oktoberfest at night for a few days.

None of us have been to Prague or Vienna. I'm asking because some people really like Vienna as well as Prague. They could spend a week or two in each city and be fine. Just making sure we're giving each city enough time to sightsee, tey some food, and maybe go to a concert or two.

Trying to lock things down so we can book places for Munich as things are already getting crazy expensive during that time.

Last edited by BMW F22; 06-16-2017 at 05:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 06:28 AM   #4
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

thats a lot of time, just as a point of comparison... i am doing both paris and london in sept and only spending 2 days at each
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 06:37 AM   #5
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
thats a lot of time, just as a point of comparison... i am doing both paris and london in sept and only spending 2 days at each
London I can see spending 2 days. Did that before myself. But Paris is huge with so much to see. Do you tend to move quickly when traveling?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 07:15 AM   #6
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Quote:
London I can see spending 2 days. Did that before myself. But Paris is huge with so much to see. Do you tend to move quickly when traveling?
i'll tell u this, I dont have intentions of doing the louvre or hundreds of monuments etc...

champs de elysse, eifel etc and that will be it... the rest is just kind if hanging our
      06-16-2017, 07:35 AM   #7
EstorilM
Cars, beer, hiking
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Prague, Vienna, and Munich are my 3 favorite cities in Europe. Good choices. My wife really loves Budapest, so I'd recommend trying to fit it in if you can. Feel free to PM me about things to do in either Prague or Vienna.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 07:59 AM   #8
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
13 days to spend in Europe. Flying into and out of Vienna. How would you Europe experts break it down? Some people love Vienna and can spend a week or two there. Others love Budapest and Prague.

Munich - 4 days

I got back from Crotia/Montengro/Paris a couple of weeks ago and it depends on the travel time and what you really want to see. Like ASAP who plans on seeing two monuments and hanging out the rest of the time. Better off creating some type of itinerary or at least listing some of the things you want to do and seeing roughly how long it takes. Also 4 days in a city normally isn't 4 days as either the front or back side of the city (or both) is involved with getting out of the hotel, getting to the next city and checking in (For us, get up, get packed, leave the hotel, travel, eat lunch, check in and a big part of the day is gone).

Travel between most places we went was pretty close and we had a car but we still decided we should at least spend 3 nights in the future as the process of moving and time lost traveling cut too much into what we actually got to see. We would have skipped one of the cities and added on a night to two other locations.

Quote:
So you arrive on day 1 and leave on day 2? or are you talking about arriving on day one and leaving on day 3? Even with arriving on day 1 and leaving on day 3 you will end up with far less than 2 days of actually doing things in each city. Nothing wrong with it and many go on cruises where they spend 9 hours in a city just not for me.
      06-16-2017, 08:13 AM   #9
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Quote:

Munich - 4 days

I got back from Crotia/Montengro/Paris a couple of weeks ago and it depends on the travel time and what you really want to see. Like ASAP who plans on seeing two monuments and hanging out the rest of the time. Better off creating some type of itinerary or at least listing some of the things you want to do and seeing roughly how long it takes. Also 4 days in a city normally isn't 4 days as either the front or back side of the city (or both) is involved with getting out of the hotel, getting to the next city and checking in (For us, get up, get packed, leave the hotel, travel, eat lunch, check in and a big part of the day is gone).

Travel between most places we went was pretty close and we had a car but we still decided we should at least spend 3 nights in the future as the process of moving and time lost traveling cut too much into what we actually got to see. We would have skipped one of the cities and added on a night to two other locations.

Quote:
So you arrive on day 1 and leave on day 2? or are you talking about arriving on day one and leaving on day 3? Even with arriving on day 1 and leaving on day 3 you will end up with far less than 2 days of actually doing things in each city. Nothing wrong with it and many go on cruises where they spend 9 hours in a city just not for me.
london - arrive fri morning leave sun night
paris - arrive sun night leave tues night

Again, I am not really a typical sightsteeing tourist, I am more about just chillin, trying food etc.
      06-16-2017, 09:14 AM   #10
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
london - arrive fri morning leave sun night
paris - arrive sun night leave tues night

Again, I am not really a typical sightsteeing tourist, I am more about just chillin, trying food etc.
Makes sense and nothing wrong with anything people want to do, that's why it is difficult to help plan someone else's vacation. My wife and I have differing opinions, she wants to fill up every minute with something and ends up with a complete schedule for the trip.
Good part is she has a huge list of things to do and it is unlikely we will later realize we missed something really good, bad part it is often more than I want to do.

Some will spend days at the hotel pool reading and I can't understand why they bothered leaving home but it's their money and time.

Last edited by David70; 06-16-2017 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 10:26 AM   #11
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilM View Post
Prague, Vienna, and Munich are my 3 favorite cities in Europe. Good choices. My wife really loves Budapest, so I'd recommend trying to fit it in if you can. Feel free to PM me about things to do in either Prague or Vienna.
Thanks. Will do. In the meantime, could you suggest some things for the itinerary below please? All travelers are in early 30's and not much into the whole partying scene (but we're definitely down for beers, good food and atmosphere).

Looks like our new itinerary is as followed:

Sep 7-9: Vienna - Land Sep 7 at night, spend 8, 9 there and train to Budapest around 5 PM on 9. Takes about 3 hrs.

Sep 9-12: Budapest - spend 2 full days there and then train to Prague sometime on the 12

Sep 12-15: Prague- head for Munich on the 15. Probably rent a car and return in Vienna.

Sep 15-19: Munich - head back to Vienna on the 19 and do whatever sightseeing that's left and then fly home the next day.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 01:11 PM   #12
Sabo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F21 M140i

Quote:
Thanks. Will do. In the meantime, could you suggest some things for the itinerary below please? All travelers are in early 30's and not much into the whole partying scene (but we're definitely down for beers, good food and atmosphere).

Looks like our new itinerary is as followed:

Sep 7-9: Vienna - Land Sep 7 at night, spend 8, 9 there and train to Budapest around 5 PM on 9. Takes about 3 hrs.

Sep 9-12: Budapest - spend 2 full days there and then train to Prague sometime on the 12

Sep 12-15: Prague- head for Munich on the 15. Probably rent a car and return in Vienna.

Sep 15-19: Munich - head back to Vienna on the 19 and do whatever sightseeing that's left and then fly home the next day.

I can help you out where to go in Budapest as I'm from there originally(lived in the UK past 14years) took some of my friends there for a birthday weekend back in march and they loved it. Weather will still be great in September, you need to stay in district 5 & 6 full of great bars, clubs and restaurants. There's a lot you can see in a couple of days if you need any further help regarding places to eat & drink or anything else I'm happy to help. If you can squeeze in a quick trip to Lake Balaton worth a visit it's about an hour drive from Budapest.👍✌️😎
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 01:48 PM   #13
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

all them places over rated visit Balkans for 2 days
      06-16-2017, 02:04 PM   #14
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

you're missing out if you don't visit swiss imo
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 09:07 PM   #15
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabo View Post
I can help you out where to go in Budapest as I'm from there originally(lived in the UK past 14years) took some of my friends there for a birthday weekend back in march and they loved it. Weather will still be great in September, you need to stay in district 5 & 6 full of great bars, clubs and restaurants. There's a lot you can see in a couple of days if you need any further help regarding places to eat & drink or anything else I'm happy to help. If you can squeeze in a quick trip to Lake Balaton worth a visit it's about an hour drive from Budapest.👍✌️😎
Trying to decided between districts 5 and 7. Any thoughts? Both are central enough so not sure if it makes a difference. 7 is the Jewish Quarters which seems cool and supposedly has a lot of bars which we don't do often.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 10:39 PM   #16
NFiftyWon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 328 X-Drive

Ive heard budapest, vienna, rome, and munich are the must-sees
Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, Amsterdam, London and Athens are wild cards that you cant go wrong with
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #17
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
That's nowhere near enough time IMHO, you need 4 days to relax a bit and just enjoy the atmosphere and get a feel for the place outside of the absolute front and centre tourist spots.

I'd limit to three cities, full stop.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 09:52 AM   #18
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Prague for sure, hot chicks everywhere, good beer, good food, super friendly.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 09:59 AM   #19
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
Prague for sure, hot chicks everywhere, good beer, good food, super friendly.
We just booked a place next to the Prague Castle. Definitely going to try the beers. Can't believe I've never been to Prague given how close it is to Germany.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2017, 02:13 PM   #20
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
We just booked a place next to the Prague Castle. Definitely going to try the beers. Can't believe I've never been to Prague given how close it is to Germany.
Also everything is much cheaper than in Germany/Austria.

Careful with their taxi cab drivers.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      07-21-2017, 02:39 PM   #21
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
Quote:
Also everything is much cheaper than in Germany/Austria.

Careful with their taxi cab drivers.
Agreed. It's interesting how Eastern Europe is so much cheaper than the rest of Europe. Looking at prices for AirBnB and hotels I noticed that Budapest and Prague were both quite a bit cheaper than Vienna and Munich.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 02:46 PM   #22
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

I'd skip Europe and go to Japan.
Appreciate 0