BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-12-2019, 10:23 PM   #1
sagosto
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi Q5

Rear Seat Entertainment Options

Anyone retrofit a portable DVD player? I have 4 and a 1 year old and tablets won't work as they are either too young or get car sick from looking down. A portable DVD player with HDMI in allows me to use a portal media player like android TV and an external drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 05:47 PM   #2
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagosto View Post
Anyone retrofit a portable DVD player? I have 4 and a 1 year old and tablets won't work as they are either too young or get car sick from looking down. A portable DVD player with HDMI in allows me to use a portal media player like android TV and an external drive.
You can get a iPad/Tablet holder so that they don't need to look down.
There is the official Travel & Comfort system iPad holder which looks good but more expensive. Or you can use those 3rd party ones which clamp onto the headrest poles.

Portable DVD players are big, heavy with small screens. And you may need wiring. I think tablets would work better.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 09:06 PM   #3
sagosto
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
There is the official Travel & Comfort system iPad holder which looks good but more expensive. Or you can use those 3rd party ones which clamp onto the headrest poles.

Portable DVD players are big, heavy with small screens. And you may need wiring. I think tablets would work better.
I am interested in a DVD player only because it allows me to use an HDMI input so I can use a media player such as Roku w/ an external HD so I can play movies from the library. I doubt my 5 year old would be able to reach the screen with the tablet holder?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 10:52 AM   #4
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagosto View Post
I am interested in a DVD player only because it allows me to use an HDMI input so I can use a media player such as Roku w/ an external HD so I can play movies from the library. I doubt my 5 year old would be able to reach the screen with the tablet holder?
Done that many years ago, but don't like the messy wiring and hard to mount dvd players.

With iPad or tablets, you can use a portable media streamer like this one (haven't used this particular one before, just an example with my searching).

For short trips, everything runs on batteries, and there are no wires. You can setup to start the video and it's good to go. For longer trips, you may consider using wires for power, though iPad batteries can last for a long time.

And once they grow older, they probably would prefer to use the tablets for games rather than watching videos anyways.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 03:12 PM   #5
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

There are also many tablets out there that have expandable memory you can just load like a 512 GB SD card and leave it plugged in. Just a thought
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 09:07 PM   #6
sagosto
Rep

Quote:
Done that many years ago, but don't like the messy wiring and hard to mount dvd players.

With iPad or tablets, you can use a portable media streamer like this one (haven't used this particar one before, just an example with my searching).

For short trips, everything runs on batteries, and there are no wires. You can setup to start the video and it's good to go. For longer trips, you may consider using wires for power, though iPad batteries can last for a long time.

And once they grow older, they probably would prefer to use the tablets for games rather than watching videos anyways.
Portable media streamer is perfect. No HDMI in or wires perfect. Can this connect to the car/phone's hot spot and also stream WIFI?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 09:12 PM   #7
sagosto
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
There are also many tablets out there that have expandable memory you can just load like a 512 GB SD card and leave it plugged in. Just a thought
I have one for my kindle and it's a PITA to deal with or perhaps that is just the Kindle itself. Streaming off a connected HD is great.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 09:08 PM   #8
sagosto
Rep

Quote:

With iPad or tablets, you can use a portable media streamer like this one (haven't used this particular one before, just an example with my searching).

Bought the RAV Power in the link and it's absolutely perfect. Streams 1080P no problem. I got a USB 3.0/Type C adapter and it sits in the center arm rest and all is good.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 10:21 PM   #9
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M- 40i

Quote:

My car has the option for the
Travel & Comfort package what should have been included with that? Nobody ever gave me an explanation of what the $600 list included
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 02:59 AM   #10
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestbmwguy View Post
My car has the option for the
Travel & Comfort package what should have been included with that? Nobody ever gave me an explanation of what the $600 list included
It just includes the Travel & Comfort mount at the back of the front seats. Not sure if the USB-C outlet is part of that package. You still need to buy optional Travel & Comfort accessories (e.g. iPad holder, coat hanger, foldable table etc) to make use of that mount
Appreciate 0