BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-13-2019, 02:32 PM   #1
kleongwins
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 MSport

Jag F Pace to X5

Just pick my X5 a few days ago after 3 years with the Jag. Here’s a few thoughts.
X5 is much bigger, quieter, smoother over bumps and potholes. X5 has 21” vs 20” for the jag. X5 glides over imperfections where the jag is jarring. Jag is the S model and the exhaust is throaty loud. The jag is definitely quicker and more agile. Although I get looks with the X5, the jag was a head turns when I first got it. People would stop me to ask about it and give thumps ups. X5 HUD is much clearer. But the jag gauge cluster can display color maps which I like a lot. I still rotate the iDrive controller thinking it’s the shifter. On the jag I can close the tailgate from the button inside the car or from the remote but I can’t with the X5. Am I missing something?? Also how do I set the heat seats to come on below a certain temperature?
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
jphcbpa311.50
      06-13-2019, 04:41 PM   #2
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

The tailgate feature that you are talking about/asking about needs to be coded using bimmercode. I did it recently on my car where I can close it and open it with the key fob or with a one short press from inside the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 05:15 AM   #3
ILM_X5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleongwins View Post
Just pick my X5 a few days ago after 3 years with the Jag. Here’s a few thoughts.
X5 is much bigger, quieter, smoother over bumps and potholes. X5 has 21” vs 20” for the jag. X5 glides over imperfections where the jag is jarring. Jag is the S model and the exhaust is throaty loud. The jag is definitely quicker and more agile. Although I get looks with the X5, the jag was a head turns when I first got it. People would stop me to ask about it and give thumps ups. X5 HUD is much clearer. But the jag gauge cluster can display color maps which I like a lot. I still rotate the iDrive controller thinking it’s the shifter. On the jag I can close the tailgate from the button inside the car or from the remote but I can’t with the X5. Am I missing something?? Also how do I set the heat seats to come on below a certain temperature?
I can close my tailgate from inside the car using the switch, just pull up like you're rolling up a window. I can also close my tailgate with my remote. Not sure why that would need to be coded. Works daily.
      06-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #4
kleongwins
Rep

thanks, I'll try the remote again. anyone know how to change the stations to the next preset using the steering wheel button, now it goes to the next station it finds.

One more thing the X5 does better than the Jag, auto start/stop is very smooth and quiet, where the Jag is loud.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 10:10 AM   #5
Grentz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i G05

You need to be in the presets menu instead of the general FM menu. Then it will move through your presets. Kind of a quirk with iDrive, but once you get used to it, nice and simple. (it has always been like this with iDrive)
Past09' e90 335d, 11' E70 X5d, 16' F22 M235xi
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 11:46 PM   #6
kleongwins
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT_X5 View Post
I can close my tailgate from inside the car using the switch, just pull up like you're rolling up a window. I can also close my tailgate with my remote. Not sure why that would need to be coded. Works daily.
I tried my remote again, can’t close tailgate. Anyone else can verify?
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2019, 11:47 PM   #7
kleongwins
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grentz View Post
You need to be in the presets menu instead of the general FM menu. Then it will move through your presets. Kind of a quirk with iDrive, but once you get used to it, nice and simple. (it has always been like this with iDrive)
That worked, stupid me
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #8
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
To adjust the temperature for the heated seats to go on automatically you need to go into climate controls.

Press the a/c button up for Climate Menu. Then to climate controls, then there is one other section for the seat. Adjust from -5 to +5-10 (forget)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 09:59 AM   #9
kleongwins
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyxy View Post
To adjust the temperature for the heated seats to go on automatically you need to go into climate controls.

Press the a/c button up for Climate Menu. Then to climate controls, then there is one other section for the seat. Adjust from -5 to +5-10 (forget)
There's no such setting for auto there, only heating along with armrest.
I also notice the seat ventilation is not as good as the Jag, the Jag can blow cold air if the AC is on. Also the massaging seat isn't good, it's very subtle even on the highest setting.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #10
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

Quote:
I also notice the seat ventilation is not as good as the Jag, the Jag can blow cold air if the AC is on. Also the massaging seat isn't good, it's very subtle even on the highest setting.
Funny, I tried the massage function once and thought it was very noticeable and not pleasant at all even at the lowest setting, like someone was jabbing at me the whole time.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 12:40 PM   #11
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyxy View Post

the seats pull hot air away rather than blow cool air if in not mistaken. Your size determines how well the massaging seats work to a degree. I'm not a big person so I don't fill the seat enough to get the full effect, yet they're still nice. Another thing to consider is how your seat is adjusted ie where is your weight distributed because the massage works best when you are fully touching X part of the seat. for example if you mean forward naturally while driving (some people do as I've seen) they won't work as well. Little things like this should be considered. While it sounds dumb, you'd be surprised how many people don't use things correctly (not staying that you aren't).
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 04:12 PM   #12
kleongwins
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczrool View Post
Funny, I tried the massage function once and thought it was very noticeable and not pleasant at all even at the lowest setting, like someone was jabbing at me the whole time.
Yes for sure they are noticeable, but I'm just wishing for more, it's just too subtle for me, my wife say same.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 04:16 PM   #13
kleongwins
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
the seats pull hot air away rather than blow cool air if in not mistaken. Your size determines how well the massaging seats work to a degree. I'm not a big person so I don't fill the seat enough to get the full effect, yet they're still nice. Another thing to consider is how your seat is adjusted ie where is your weight distributed because the massage works best when you are fully touching X part of the seat. for example if you mean forward naturally while driving (some people do as I've seen) they won't work as well. Little things like this should be considered. While it sounds dumb, you'd be surprised how many people don't use things correctly (not staying that you aren't).
In that case, the jag's ventilated seats implementation is more effective. another plus for the Jag is that the backseats has power recline, it also has a lot more usb ports, don't like these usb-c ports on the X5.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 11:35 PM   #14
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
In that case, the jag's ventilated seats implementation is more effective. another plus for the Jag is that the backseats has power recline, it also has a lot more usb ports, don't like these usb-c ports on the X5.
USB-C is the present and future for all devices. You only get reclining rear seats with the 3rd row option for some reason. My X3 M40i had them but not the X5. No one ever sits in my back seat so I don't really care but if it matters to you at least they're comfortable
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 12:19 PM   #15
kleongwins
Rep

Quote:
USB-C is the present and future for all devices. You only get reclining rear seats with the 3rd row option for some reason. My X3 M40i had them but not the X5. No one ever sits in my back seat so I don't really care but if it matters to you at least they're comfortable
They are too upright for me, back seat should recline more, easier to sleep, fortunately I'm only in the driver seat.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 01:20 PM   #16
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
They are too upright for me, back seat should recline more, easier to sleep, fortunately I'm only in the driver seat.
completely understandable, I'm with you there, I drive so it's not an issue but having the ability to natively recline without a 3rx row would be nice.
Appreciate 0