BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-19-2019, 06:05 AM   #1
jammit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Can someone explain how Traffic Jam Assist works

When using drive assist and it stops in traffic, sometimes the car will move forward automatically, and sometimes I need to tap the accelerator. What determines this behaviour?
Local dealer genius could only tell me it was not only time dependent.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 06:35 AM   #2
TJ_BMW
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d/BMW M5 F90 Comp

Garage List
I tested it out this morning, and I had to press the accelerator anytime the car stopped. It did auto-start the engine though. It isn't actually Traffic Jam Assist in Australia, just adaptive cruise with lane-keep.

Last edited by TJ_BMW; 06-19-2019 at 06:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 07:19 AM   #3
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammit View Post
When using drive assist and it stops in traffic, sometimes the car will move forward automatically, and sometimes I need to tap the accelerator. What determines this behaviour?
Local dealer genius could only tell me it was not only time dependent.
It uses the driver attention camera on the instrument cluster to determine if you are paying attention and looking forward at traffic. If you are, the system will pull away automatically. If you're looking down or away from the traffic situation you get prompted to tap the accelerator.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:01 AM   #4
TheHitchhiker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
It uses the driver attention camera on the instrument cluster to determine if you are paying attention and looking forward at traffic. If you are, the system will pull away automatically. If you're looking down or away from the traffic situation you get prompted to tap the accelerator.
+1. This is the same experience I have. It always accelerates automatically (even if engine is off from auto stop) when I am looking at the road. When I look at iDrive or checking out the surroundings it will blink and beep. Then I have to tap the accelerator. Safety feature for sure.

Past: 2016 F10 550i M-Sport ~ 2015 F83 M4 Convertible ~ 2013 F30 335i M-Sport ~ 2006 E85 Z4 30i
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:15 AM   #5
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

In my experience, if you enable it while at a stop it will require that you press the accelerator, otherwise it goes on its own except as others have mentioned if not paying attention.

I’m not sure I understand the wisdom of bringing the vehicle to a complete stop in moving traffic if it determines you aren’t paying attention. That seems pretty unsafe. Seems like it should pull over too but I think it just warns you it’s going to stop and then does so in the lane with cars behind you.
Appreciate 0