BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-22-2022, 08:33 AM   #1
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 x30d M Sport

x45e torque query

Hi,

I thought the x45e had 600Nm torque but I've just been looking at some on the used approved BMW site (UK) and in the specification it's saying 332lbft which is only 450Nm. Is the used approved site wrong, or do we only get 450Nm torque versions in the UK?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 08:39 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
other than higher usable battery capacity compared to U.S. and Canada, the engine and electric motor are identical

BTW it’s called the X5 45e
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 08:49 AM   #3
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
other than higher usable battery capacity compared to U.S. and Canada, the engine and electric motor are identical

BTW it’s called the X5 45e
Thanks, I wonder why they're listing it as 332lbft. In the UK it's actually called the X5 Xdrive45e, I was just too lazy to type it all
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 10:37 AM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
Thanks, I wonder why they're listing it as 332lbft. In the UK it's actually called the X5 Xdrive45e, I was just too lazy to type it all
you got me there!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 05:03 PM   #5
echo46mike3
Private
Rep
Drives: E46M3, X5 45e

That’s the torque number for the gas engine itself. 600NM is combined torque.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...00315EN/437488
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 03:13 AM   #6
ksavostin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5-45e

question is at what RPM you have access to full combined 600 NM?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 06:47 AM   #7
CarlW
Rep
Drives: X5 45e MSport, F33-435D

Attached may help

The_new_BMW_X5_xDrive45e_-_Specifications.pdf
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 04:33 PM   #8
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksavostin View Post
Hmm, my guess the torque curve of the 45e would be similar to that of regular B58! So, max torque should start at around 1500 RPMs or so.
      01-04-2023, 04:45 PM   #9
kfer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20-330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksavostin View Post
In the real life you have 600Nm between 3000-5000rpm
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-04-2023, 04:54 PM   #10
kfer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20-330e

On the dyno kicks in at 2500rpm.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 01:44 AM   #11
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo46mike3 View Post
That’s the torque number for the gas engine itself. 600NM is combined torque.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...00315EN/437488
Thanks

The next question is then, how long do you get that combined torque, i.e. if you're running on the combined engine how long does the battery last (on average) to supplement the petrol engine?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 05:06 AM   #12
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks

The next question is then, how long do you get that combined torque, i.e. if you're running on the combined engine how long does the battery last (on average) to supplement the petrol engine?
any energy source will deplete as long as you continue to use it, and the discharge rate will depend on the application. in everyday driving, the electric motor will assist the ICE when needed such as acceleration from a stop or kick-down. while cruising, the torque demands aren't as much comparatively, thus the battery demands are less, and the vehicle can maintain enough battery capacity so the electric motor can be called upon when needed. if you track it, then it'll use the electric motor more often (eBoost) and consequently, the HV battery capacity. demand may exceed supply in this case.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 06:27 AM   #13
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
any energy source will deplete as long as you continue to use it, and the discharge rate will depend on the application. in everyday driving, the electric motor will assist the ICE when needed such as acceleration from a stop or kick-down. while cruising, the torque demands aren't as much comparatively, thus the battery demands are less, and the vehicle can maintain enough battery capacity so the electric motor can be called upon when needed. if you track it, then it'll use the electric motor more often (eBoost) and consequently, the HV battery capacity. demand may exceed supply in this case.
That makes sense. I guess you’ll not know until you own one and drive it every day. My fear is that I’ll take it for a drive and half way it’ll run out of battery and I’ll be left with an underpowered engine for the rest of the trip
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 06:39 AM   #14
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That makes sense. I guess you’ll not know until you own one and drive it every day. My fear is that I’ll take it for a drive and half way it’ll run out of battery and I’ll be left with an underpowered engine for the rest of the trip
oh, if that's your concern, there's really nothing to worry. other than a complete malfunction of the hybrid/electric system, the vehicle is designed not to let that happen. even when the electric miles gauge reads - - - (meaning, empty), it's not really empty. lithium batteries don't like that, so it's just at the point where the voltage is low enough that the vehicle will start doing its thing of maintaining just enough battery capacity to keep things functioning, both mechanically and electrically.

i've had mine just over 2y and have "drained" the HV battery many times. there's never been an issue of being underpowered because as i mentioned in other similar threads, the ICE can't be completely isolated from the electric motor which runs parallel to it. it's engineered to keep it going as part of BMW's hybrid design.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 07:35 AM   #15
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
oh, if that's your concern, there's really nothing to worry. other than a complete malfunction of the hybrid/electric system, the vehicle is designed not to let that happen. even when the electric miles gauge reads - - - (meaning, empty), it's not really empty. lithium batteries don't like that, so it's just at the point where the voltage is low enough that the vehicle will start doing its thing of maintaining just enough battery capacity to keep things functioning, both mechanically and electrically.

i've had mine just over 2y and have "drained" the HV battery many times. there's never been an issue of being underpowered because as i mentioned in other similar threads, the ICE can't be completely isolated from the electric motor which runs parallel to it. it's engineered to keep it going as part of BMW's hybrid design.
Thanks for your reply and explaining that. So in theory you should always have the full 600Nm torque at your disposal?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 07:46 AM   #16
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for your reply and explaining that. So in theory you should always have the full 600Nm torque at your disposal?
i'm no mechanical engineer but peak torque is mostly at lower rpm. if you're cruising along on the highway then kickdown, you'll still get a lot of torque as seen in the dyno graph above.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 07:50 AM   #17
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
i'm no mechanical engineer but peak torque is mostly at lower rpm. if you're cruising along on the highway then kickdown, you'll still get a lot of torque as seen in the dyno graph above.
Thanks. What I like is the drive out of corners, pull up hills etc., I don't do a lot of motorway driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 08:15 AM   #18
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. What I like is the drive out of corners, pull up hills etc., I don't do a lot of motorway driving.
interesting you mention "up hills", but the factors will be: 1) how steep is it? 2) how fast are you wanting to go up it? 3) how far are you having to go? 4) is the HV battery "depleted"? a while back, someone postulated reduction in power could happen, and i agree in theory it could, but i believe the engineers have it covered. if the HV battery is "depleted", and you're going up a very steep mountain at speed, this could present a scenario where demand exceeds supply, but in 2y on this forum and the FB group, i've not come across anyone reporting such even while pulling boats, campers, etc. it's actually been the opposite: nothing but praise on its performance.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 08:28 AM   #19
Di3s3l_Power
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

On theory you could deplete the battery to the point of no e-boost available but in real life you will always get some electricity back from regen

You will need to go up the mountain (drained battery) flat out for extended time & miles which in real life is not feasible unless you are racing
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 08:58 AM   #20
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Di3s3l_Power View Post
On theory you could deplete the battery to the point of no e-boost available but in real life you will always get some electricity back from regen

You will need to go up the mountain (drained battery) flat out for extended time & miles which in real life is not feasible unless you are racing
eBoost operates in Sport drive mode and isn't available unless the HV battery level is about 20% which the vehicle tries to maintain. below that, the electric motor will still be available but at high rpm, eBoost won't be available

Last edited by nZtiZia; 01-05-2023 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 09:13 AM   #21
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
interesting you mention "up hills", but the factors will be: 1) how steep is it? 2) how fast are you wanting to go up it? 3) how far are you having to go? 4) is the HV battery "depleted"? a while back, someone postulated reduction in power could happen, and i agree in theory it could, but i believe the engineers have it covered. if the HV battery is "depleted", and you're going up a very steep mountain at speed, this could present a scenario where demand exceeds supply, but in 2y on this forum and the FB group, i've not come across anyone reporting such even while pulling boats, campers, etc. it's actually been the opposite: nothing but praise on its performance.
Thanks, I appreciate that scenarios will be very different. I live in a very hilly area of the UK and had cars in the past where you’d struggle up hills and have to drop to 2nd or 3rd gear to get up, I don’t want that anymore

I’ve had the 2016 X30d M Sport for 5 years and have always been happy with the performance/drive (I don’t need fast 0-60 times these days) but don’t want to take a step backwards.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 09:15 AM   #22
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate that scenarios will be very different. I live in a very hilly area of the UK and had cars in the past where you’d struggle up hills and have to drop to 2nd or 3rd gear to get up, I don’t want that anymore

I’ve had the 2016 X30d M Sport for 5 years and have always been happy with the performance/drive (I don’t need fast 0-60 times these days) but don’t want to take a step backwards.
yeah they will vary. PHEV/EV tech isn't perfect; it has limitations. a cold-soaked HV battery is another time we'll experience a reduction in power. electrons simply won't flow. that's just simple physics
Appreciate 0