BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-25-2023, 09:55 AM   #1
Scott_Oakville
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5d

BMW Canada extended warranty pricing (obscene)

For a '21 CPO G05 MSport with 55,000 KMS on it.

84months Platinum BMW, 140,000KMS = $8350 Retail.

I'm told that the $7K it's being offered to me at will be a sincere score
Appreciate 1
aMIC31.00
      05-26-2023, 07:13 AM   #2
LOFT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Depending on when the vehicle went on the road, that car might only have around 20K km/year on it (ie. 12,400 miles/year).

I bought a new 45e in January 2022, and I expect to drive it the same amount of km/year and keep it for 6-7 years trouble free as I have been doing with my Audi's. Consumer Reports has the X5 as a "buy" recommendation based on reliability.

So BMW is either making a killing on the extended warranties or it reflects accurately the cost of maintaining the car at an optimal level after the initial four year warranty expires.

If I have a major failure between years 5 and 7, I will fix and sell it and it's time for "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me".

But I wouldn't spend CDN $7K on a CPO warranty. The so-called "peace of mind" does not match the "pissed off feeling" of what I might pay down the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 12:34 PM   #3
Scott_Oakville
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5d

Given these CPO's are coming out of the covid era, the 21s I've looked at all have between 35-55K kms on them. So yes, 20K km/yr is pretty common in the 1-3yr old pre owned market right now.

So I've owned several X5's over the last 20yrs, as the tech started to amp up, I engaged in the extended warranties. My current F15 35d that will be traded in has probably had $15K worth of warranty work done to it in the 5yrs I've owned it.

Here's what I don't know .. how much of this "work" was required? I question that. I had a sunroof that seemed to be operating a little funky, which led to the replacement of the entire roof - $6K just for that. Dash cluster with a temp gauge that wasn't working - replaced the entire cluster - $6K also. Do I believe it's possible some dealerships are milking BMW on these platinum warranties? Maybe .. I certainly would never complain given they'd put me in a nice loaner for a week or two ..

I'm still debating ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOFT View Post
Depending on when the vehicle went on the road, that car might only have around 20K km/year on it (ie. 12,400 miles/year).

I bought a new 45e in January 2022, and I expect to drive it the same amount of km/year and keep it for 6-7 years trouble free as I have been doing with my Audi's. Consumer Reports has the X5 as a "buy" recommendation based on reliability.

So BMW is either making a killing on the extended warranties or it reflects accurately the cost of maintaining the car at an optimal level after the initial four year warranty expires.

If I have a major failure between years 5 and 7, I will fix and sell it and it's time for "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me".

But I wouldn't spend CDN $7K on a CPO warranty. The so-called "peace of mind" does not match the "pissed off feeling" of what I might pay down the road.
Appreciate 1
LOFT183.00