05-24-2023, 09:07 PM   #23
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1138 View Post
Thanks, great points. It’s hard to find any direct comparisons between any of the systems. They all tend to do the same thing, just some better than others.

And of course no dealerships have these cars in stock so we can’t test drive them…
All the top systems are pretty good. I would avoid Tesla because of the camera only system which suffers from phantom braking and isn’t as great as perceptions would imply . We had a Model Y Performance - one of the last with radar + camera (so better than the current mode,), before switching to a BMW iX last year. The system on the iX is much better IMHO and there is no way I’d go to Tesla after the BMW system on the iX. One of my friends at work has a Cadillac XT5 - so smaller than the XT6, but he picked it over Audi Q5 and X3 because he got a great deal on the Cadillac. If money was no object, I think he’d get a Macan. So, it just depends on your budget and needs…of course if you great luxury and performance then X5 M60i and X5M would be way better than any Cadillac….my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 07:23 AM   #24
DaveDBD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

The BMW HA cuts off regularly while driving and also is dangerous in construction zones as it doesn’t realize lane changes are needed.

All in all a nifty tech but takes a lot of attention to use which defeats its purpose.

And as others have stated, the driver attention camera alerts everytime you use the center screen which is frequently in the 50e without buttons.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 02:39 PM   #25
traron
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 Msport S40i

I used HDA today for the first time on an Interstate and it works very well. Kept the car in lane and all I did was keep looking ahead and occasionally glanced down at the dash controls. It was strange having the car drive itself, but as stated above you need your attention on the road or will get a warning.
Appreciate 1
aMIC31.00
      05-25-2023, 04:39 PM   #26
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by traron View Post
I used HDA today for the first time on an Interstate and it works very well. Kept the car in lane and all I did was keep looking ahead and occasionally glanced down at the dash controls. It was strange having the car drive itself, but as stated above you need your attention on the road or will get a warning.
I get this on my 2023, can't see what the difference is except occasionally I have to touch the steering wheel - no big deal.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 05:48 PM   #27
OMGU812
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1138 View Post
I am in the process of helping my parents choose their next car. They are currently looking between the Cadillac XT6 and the 2024 X5. They like the idea of Cadillac’s supercruise, but prefer the large screen of the 2024 X5. The determining factor between the two cars might be the semi autonomous driving capabilities of each car. My parents are older, and the idea of driving at night makes them nervous, so I’m looking for technology that will help them be the most comfortable behind the wheel at any point in the day.

Any thoughts as to which technology is superior or are they very similar?

Thanks!
I had a 2019 X5, and currently have a 2023 Escalade with SC. I can't comment on HA, but I can say that SC is nothing short of amazing. I have driven for hours, only touching the wheel to exit the freeway. Lane changes occur automatically. Literally a game changer in terms of fatigue. I can't recommend it highly enough.

We had a fair bit of trouble with our X5 (excluding wrinkly seats - remember that?) - mostly software related - but I drive an '20 M5 and think it's fantastic. I'm a BMW fan in general, but have to say that GM knocked it out of the park with SC.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 09:30 PM   #28
traron
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 Msport S40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post
I get this on my 2023, can't see what the difference is except occasionally I have to touch the steering wheel - no big deal.
The difference is you don’t have to touch the wheel. Lane changes too.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 02:00 AM   #29
JerZBMerLife
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Garage List
2024 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by traron View Post
The difference is you don’t have to touch the wheel. Lane changes too.
Yeah HA is light years better than previous DAP. I had 2020 X5 and really didn’t use it because you literally had to touch the wheel constantly. I would use adaptive cruise control though. My new LCI X6 I tried HA briefly and it was a game changer. I have a road trip coming up at the end of June so will try it more extensively.
Appreciate 1
traron36.00
      05-27-2023, 07:35 AM   #30
Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3,2020 Land Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal CFP View Post
i have owned many SUV's. i would say the X5 drives nothing like a SUV, if it did my wife and I wouldn't have owned 5 over the years. My previous X5M and my current X5 M50i drive like sport sedans, in my opinion, even my wife's current 40i. i am currently waiting to order a new M60i. Thanks.
Absolutely agree. My Land Cruiser drives like an SUV and when I’m thinking about taking the X5 out, it’s because it drives more like a car. The X5 is a great daily driver and comfortable “suv”. We like them, not only because I sell them but it’s a vehicle that is very versatile for date nights, road trips, grabbing groceries, dog transporting and if you have the M50i or 60i version, then carving up canyon roads. It’s definitely no M5 but if you want all around great Mid-size suv, that doesn’t cost $120k+(new Porsche Cayenne S w/options ) then the X5 is tough to beat. FYI/ I love the new V8 Cayenne S. Hopefully add one of those in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 10:23 AM   #31
Tehnoid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 m60i, X6Mc

Picked up an X5 50e yesterday. Drove the 70 miles on 3 interstates, 2 us highways and a state highway. All four+ lane divided besides the last 3 miles or so.

Highway assistant worked for 4 miles on the interstate but also did not recognize the summer road construction had merged 5 lanes into 4.

Overall, I find the driving assistant to work fairly well already, I really don't mind having hands on the steering wheel as I still don't think any of these systems are fool proof, unless you spend the majority of your time in traffic. In 'open air' they all seem to struggle quite a bit having driven BMW/Tesla/Merc/Cadillac.

FWIW the Cadillac does have more mapped range on the route I took yesterday, allowing supercruise to be used about 50% of the time.
Appreciate 0