BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-09-2023, 09:54 AM   #23
jlcrompton
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d and X5 M40D MHT

I'm a garage door fitter here in the UK, Homelink is a Chamberlin/Liftmaster product and if I remember right most Liftmasters use 433Mhz and here in the UK are a DIY brand.
Most new motors in the EU are running on 838Mhz now as they are more secure.
I myself run Hormann and have there cig light remote and is very nice to have.
The problem with 433 is that code scanner (like gone in 60 seconds) can pick up the motor code when a remote is pressed, this cant happen on 838.

Thanks Jason
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2023, 10:49 AM   #24
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcrompton View Post
I'm a garage door fitter here in the UK, Homelink is a Chamberlin/Liftmaster product and if I remember right most Liftmasters use 433Mhz and here in the UK are a DIY brand.
Most new motors in the EU are running on 838Mhz now as they are more secure.
I myself run Hormann and have there cig light remote and is very nice to have.
The problem with 433 is that code scanner (like gone in 60 seconds) can pick up the motor code when a remote is pressed, this cant happen on 838.

Thanks Jason
I'm in Europe. You guess a Select-Line 838 Mhz, found on a Dutch website it's from Berger, could be used with universal integrated remote? It isn't listed on the Homelink website.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 02:19 PM   #25
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

In the USA, most newer garage door openers use a rolling code that essentially changes each time. The logic to pair it up essentially has both learn what 'key' is used, so it then knows if the calculated output is valid or not.

So, the first part of the pairing is teaching the vehicle the 'key' characteristics, then the receiver is programmed to the new remote as a valid key. Older systems often just used a set of dip switches to determine a fixed sequence each time, and is easy to hack...lazy installers would just leave them all at zeros, or all on.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 04:02 PM   #26
rundeyvoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 / X3 / 330e / 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
are the light bulbs in your garage door openers LED? it's known that LEDs greatly interfere with the remote's signal range, including the HomeLink button. still, facing away from the garage door kills some range from the remote or HomeLink button whether or not the LEDs are on. even though i bought garage door-compatible LEDs, the signal range isn't as good as with traditional incandescent bulbs when they're on, but they're better than non-garage door-compatible LEDs.
This is interesting... yes, my garage door bulbs on the motor (and a few other lights in the garage) are LED. I'll swap them out this weekend and see if the range gets better.

Thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 04:08 PM   #27
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Unlike an incandescent bulb, LED bulbs, depending on the design, can literally be turning on/off at the 60Hz rate. Even if they aren't, they need a power supply in them to convert the ACV to DCV needed to operate, and that power supply often doesn't focus on minimal 'cleanliness', but more on efficiency and low cost. This can make a lot of electrical noise.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 08:07 PM   #28
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm50i View Post
1. I use it daily, very useful!

2. I usually use it when i'm 4-5 houses away, but I think it'll work even further than that as well.

3. I have 2 Lift Masters and it works with both of them no problem.
I don’t get nearly that much range, but it could be my place as my wife’s cx5 has a similar range (about 20 yards)
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 09:02 AM   #29
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by rundeyvoo View Post
This is interesting... yes, my garage door bulbs on the motor (and a few other lights in the garage) are LED. I'll swap them out this weekend and see if the range gets better.

Thanks for the tip!
No joy here. I swapped the LEDs for some incandescents that I still had laying around. No noticeable impact on the range. My wife's 10-year-old Subaru will open either door from 2-3 houses away, so I'm pretty sure it's not the opener receiver.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 03:58 PM   #30
rundeyvoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 / X3 / 330e / 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post
No joy here. I swapped the LEDs for some incandescents that I still had laying around. No noticeable impact on the range. My wife's 10-year-old Subaru will open either door from 2-3 houses away, so I'm pretty sure it's not the opener receiver.
Hmmm, good to know. So it must be the transmitter on the car huh? I’m going to try it anyway and report back.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 01:37 PM   #31
CHRISPSA-1
Enlisted Member
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 30d xdrive M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxed View Post
Hey guys,

I have question about an add-on called "Integrated Universal Remote Control" for garage and garden door.

Searched the forum but couldn't find much.

Does anyone has it in their X5s?

How is your experience in terms of:
1. Its usability
2. Range
3. Compatibility with Major garage door lock manufacturer?

Also feel free to mention if you have faced any issues?

Thanks in advance!
Ι have it in my 2022 X6 and works fine.I met lot of difficulties since my garage door remote controls were not compatible with the system.I referred to the manufacturer and they directed me how to overcome the problem.I installed in between a 2-channel universal receiver.To increase the range i removed the antenna externally.I use it every day and i am very satisfied.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2023, 10:08 AM   #32
khakimi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryC View Post
They work well. The newer Security+ 2.0 openers are a bit more finicky than the older ones. When I had to replace my GDO last year I could definitely tell the difference. They have less range than the older models and it takes a bit longer for it to work. Occasionally it takes a second punch of the button to operate the door.

I have them in most of my cars over the last 10-15 years and find it annoying that my truck doesn't have it. So there's a remote in it. That sometimes gives me a bit of concern, because if someone breaks into the truck they can use the remote to get in the garage. With the integrated remote, it doesn't work if the car isn't running. A valuable safety feature if you ever park it outside.

Gerry
I just wanted to confirm that the the built in universal remote garage door opener won't work if car key not around. As mentioned above if someone breaks into car, I am worried they would have access to our garage. On our Volvo, it seem to be active even when key is not around so I never programmed it as we actually just leave our cars right out side our garage. If BMW is not active without a Key that would be great. This is similar to my Audi Q5 where is does not work without key nearby.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 10:13 AM   #33
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by khakimi View Post
I just wanted to confirm that the the built in universal remote garage door opener won't work if car key not around. As mentioned above if someone breaks into car, I am worried they would have access to our garage. On our Volvo, it seem to be active even when key is not around so I never programmed it as we actually just leave our cars right out side our garage. If BMW is not active without a Key that would be great. This is similar to my Audi Q5 where is does not work without key nearby.
On my '21, it will not work unless I press the Start button first
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2023, 11:22 AM   #34
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

I put the HOMELINK universal garage opener in the category of “better to have and not need, than to need and not have”.

What if it DOES work with you garage door opener? What if you get another GDO (garage door opener) that is compatible while still owning this BMW. Even if it doesn’t work with your home’s GDO, are there any other GDOs or gates that you can use it on?

I have all 3 buttons programmed on my HOMELINK. One for my home GDO, one for a GDO at work, and the 3rd for a gate (at work) that I use 5 days a week. In the past, I’ve also had it programmed to my sister’s GDO (in another city)…which made it easy when visiting not needing a key to gain access when coming and going.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 02:20 PM   #35
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by khakimi View Post

On my '21, it will not work unless I press the Start button first
the HomeLink buttons are active if the vehicle electronics are turned on even when no keys are around (key fob, Digital Key, digital keycard).

test it yourself to verify:
- enter your vehicle with no keys on your person
- press any button inside the vehicle (radio VOL button, console Home/Menu button, Start/Stop button, Favorites button, etc)
- if the vehicle electronics turn on, then HomeLink is active

so if your vehicle is parked outside, unlocked or even broken into without setting off the alarm, if they press any button that turns on the electronics, they can open your garage door using the HomeLink buttons. sad but true…
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2023, 02:47 PM   #36
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
the HomeLink buttons are active if the vehicle electronics are turned on even when no keys are around (key fob, Digital Key, digital keycard).

- press any button inside the vehicle (radio VOL button, console Home/Menu button, Start/Stop button, Favorites button, etc)

so if your vehicle is parked outside, unlocked or even broken into without setting off the alarm, if they press any button that turns on the electronics, they can open your garage door using the HomeLink buttons. sad but true…
Are you unlocking the vehicle with the fob first? Once you do that then you can start the electronics and the Homelink will work. I haven't tried it for a couple of years but thought back then if I had the door unlocked and I entered the vehicle without a fob the electronics wouldn't start. Perhaps I'm misremembering the situation.
      05-29-2023, 03:13 PM   #37
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxed View Post
Hey guys,

I have question about an add-on called "Integrated Universal Remote Control" for garage and garden door.

Searched the forum but couldn't find much.

Does anyone has it in their X5s?

How is your experience in terms of:
1. Its usability
2. Range
3. Compatibility with Major garage door lock manufacturer?

Also feel free to mention if you have faced any issues?

Thanks in advance!
In US most cars regardless of brand or model use the same homelink system I think. It takes a bit effort to read the manual and programming but then it is very easy to use. Range is quite far I think
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 03:24 PM   #38
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:

Your post got me to wondering so I went out to the garage without my key fob, looked in the drivers window, all lights were out and displays blank as they should be. I opened the drivers door and of course the displays lit up, I pressed the Start button and then the garage door opener and it opened. I was surprised it worked, well surprised and disappointed. Every other time I did this I always had my key fob on me so never knew it would open the garage door without me having the key fob.

I stayed in the drivers seat, closed the drivers door and waited for the car to shut down, seemed like it took a year After it shut down, meaning all displays, lights, ambient lights and all was dark and the car went to sleep, I then pressed the garage door opener. Nothing happened. I then pressed the drivers door window switch, of course it did not open the window and then I pressed the garage door opener again, nothing happened. I then opened the drivers door and the displays came to life like they always do when opening the drivers door. I did not press the Start button this time, I pressed the garage door opener and it opened. However, it would not let me close it until after I closed the drivers door.

I learned something today
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 03:43 PM   #39
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Are you unlocking the vehicle with the fob first? Once you do that then you can start the electronics and the Homelink will work. I haven't tried it for a couple of years but thought back then if I had the door unlocked and I entered the vehicle without a fob the electronics wouldn't start. Perhaps I'm misremembering the situation.
vehicle was already unlocked and in standby. I opened the door, pressed a button and vehicle electronics turned on. HomeLink buttons worked.

for me, opening a door to an unlocked and standby vehicle doesn’t turn on all electronics. the instrument cluster turns on, but nothing else. only if I press a button to turn on the center control display will the power for the HomeLink also turn on
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 03:49 PM   #40
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzyy View Post
In US most cars regardless of brand or model use the same homelink system I think. It takes a bit effort to read the manual and programming but then it is very easy to use. Range is quite far I think
I’ve noticed range can be affected when the garage door opener (the motorized unit that connects to the garage) uses incandescent versus LED bulbs (shorter remote control range with the latter)
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 04:08 PM   #41
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
vehicle was already unlocked and in standby. I opened the door, pressed a button and vehicle electronics turned on. HomeLink buttons worked.

for me, opening a door to an unlocked and standby vehicle doesn’t turn on all electronics. the instrument cluster turns on, but nothing else. only if I press a button to turn on the center control display will the power for the HomeLink also turn on
Gotcha, thanks. I also learned something new.