BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-01-2021, 08:03 PM   #1
bimmerfrog
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

Replacing front camera on X5

I noticed on my recently purchased, used 2021 X5, the front camera looks very pitted or has a coating of something I can't seem to easily get off. Is swapping the camera as easy as purchasing the OEM part on Ebay for $150, unplugging the bad camera and plugging in the new camera and putting the grill back on? I'm nervous they'll be some additional coding required once I install the new camera. Anyone replaced cameras before and had any issues? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 08:12 PM   #2
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrog View Post
I noticed on my recently purchased, used 2021 X5, the front camera looks very pitted or has a coating of something I can't seem to easily get off. Is swapping the camera as easy as purchasing the OEM part on Ebay for $150, unplugging the bad camera and plugging in the new camera and putting the grill back on? I'm nervous they'll be some additional coding required once I install the new camera. Anyone replaced cameras before and had any issues? Thanks
I would disconnect the battery ground before unplugging anything on these cars. Once you reconnect a compatible camera and the battery I would not expect coding to be required
      09-02-2021, 08:17 AM   #3
bimmerfrog
Rep

Sorry, but this now begs the question. How do I unhook my battery ground? I've searched around and can't find details. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 10:16 AM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
I've searched around and can't find details. Thanks
Where Are The Batteries Located! https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1753639

Battery Location https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1545543
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2021, 11:46 AM   #5
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Before unplugging things, has the image degraded because of those marks? Have you even attempted to see if the dealer would warranty it first?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 12:05 PM   #6
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

By disconnecting the battery ground, they simply mean disconnecting the negative terminal. This video doesn't address that part of the project but should otherwise be helpful.

Appreciate 2
      09-02-2021, 12:48 PM   #7
bimmerfrog
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
Before unplugging things, has the image degraded because of those marks? Have you even attempted to see if the dealer would warranty it first?
This image looks very hazy and I when I brought it to the dealers attention (possible warranty issue) they pushed back saying some kind of coating is covering the lens. So far any traditional methods aren't improving it. I've purchased a 3M headlight kits to attempt to delicately sand/polish the camera lens cover but I would rather go the replace camera route for $150 and seemingly much less work.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 04:12 PM   #8
bimmerfrog
Rep

I just wanted to close the loop on this post. I purchased the replacement OEM camera for $150 and swapped it out in less than 5 minutes and everything works perfectly. For reference, I didn't unplug the battery ground. The dealer wanted $750+ to replace it. Thanks for everyones help.
Appreciate 4
LexxM31698.50
volodp198.00
I2P20.00
      09-11-2021, 04:17 PM   #9
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
I just wanted to close the loop on this post. I purchased the replacement OEM camera for $150 and swapped it out in less than 5 minutes and everything works perfectly. For reference, I didn't unplug the battery ground. The dealer wanted $750+ to replace it. Thanks for everyones help.
Congrats and good to know it was safe to disconnect / reconnect.
      06-19-2023, 04:55 PM   #10
bmw_au
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 30d (G05)

Unhappy X5 (G05) Camera Connector

I had a rock hit the front camera on my X5 (G05), and after being quoted $1000+ to have it replaced I found this post and ordered a replacement from ebay (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/125842166624).
When when the new camera arrived and I attempted to replace it, I found that the connector on the original camera and the new camera were slightly different.
Below are the photos showing the connector on the original and new camera, as well as the plug that goes into the connnector.
As you can see on the images, the locating notches on the original camera on both the left and right are in the same place, however on the new camera the lower locating notch on the left side (1) is slightly lower, which prevents the plug going into the connector. I was wondering what would occur if I used a craft knife to remove the notch that is preventing the plug going into the connector.

Does anyone have any experience with an issue like this?

Last edited by bmw_au; 06-19-2023 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2023, 05:03 PM   #11
MJBradley1967
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_au View Post
I had a rock hit the front camera on my X5 (G05), and after being quoted $1000+ to have it replaced I found this post and ordered a replacement from ebay (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/125842166624).
When when the new camera arrived and I attempted to replace it, I found that the connector on the original camera and the new camera were slightly different.
Below are the photos showing the connector on the original and new camera, as well as the plug that goes into the connnector.
As you can see on the images, the locating notches on the original camera on both the left and right are in the same place, however on the new camera the lower locating notch on the left side (1) is slightly lower, which prevents the plug going into the connector. I was wondering what would occur if I used a craft knife to remove the notch that is preventing the plug going into the connector.

Any chance that top part can be swapped with the old one? The pins are probably the same.
      06-19-2023, 05:16 PM   #12
bmw_au
Registered
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBradley1967 View Post
Any chance that top part can be swapped with the old one? The pins are probably the same.
I had considered that, however I figured that removing the notch on the connector would be easier, as the cabling on the inside of the connector may be hardwired to the camera, and I was also concerned that if I open the camera I might compromise any waterproof seal?
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2023, 05:23 PM   #13
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:

No I have not needed to replace mine but I did manage to find the correct connector layout on the US eBay and it shows a different number on the label than your new one does and it also shows some of the same numbers so possibly your new one is for a different year or model, you didn't state that info on your car.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32436068450...RoC7L8QAvD_BwE

Before you start removing plastic, have you tried to remove the lens and swap it? Maybe it unscrews??? Since your original one is damaged, try removing the lens on that one. Is it too late to return it and look a bit more for the one that fits? Otherwise, removing that notch may do the trick, hard to say for sure but it would at least allow it it fit, I mean there IS a reason BMW changed the design. Just be sure its a tight fit so it doesn't vibrate off.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 06:19 PM   #14
bmw_au
Registered
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
I did manage to find the correct connector layout on the US eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/324360684507 and it shows a different number on the label than your new one does and it also shows some of the same numbers so possibly your new one is for a different year or model, you didn't state that info on your car.
Sorry I should have added that my vehicle is a 2020 X5 (G05), and thanks for the link however it appears that seller does not ship to Australia

Quote:
Before you start removing plastic, have you tried to remove the lens and swap it? Maybe it unscrews??? Since your original one is damaged, try removing the lens on that one.
It appears that the lenses on the camera units are glued on, and cannot be exchanged.

Quote:
Is it too late to return it and look a bit more for the one that fits?
I have contacted the seller on eBay today once I detected that it was different, so let see what they say.

Quote:
Otherwise, removing that notch may do the trick, hard to say for sure but it would at least allow it it fit, I mean there IS a reason BMW changed the design. Just be sure its a tight fit so it doesn't vibrate off.
I agree with you comment about there typically being a reason for BMW changing the connectors, however manufacturers have been know to make a part slightly different to allow them to sell at a different price point, or it could be that they have changed the wiring loom and the new wiring loom has a different connector, or you could be 100% correct and the camera is simply not electrically compatible.

Thanks again for all your feedback Marty.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 08:20 PM   #15
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Sorry I should have added that my vehicle is a 2020 X5 (G05), and thanks for the link however it appears that seller does not ship to Australia

It appears that the lenses on the camera units are glued on, and cannot be exchanged.

I have contacted the seller on eBay today once I detected that it was different, so let see what they say.

I agree with you comment about there typically being a reason for BMW changing the connectors, however manufacturers have been know to make a part slightly different to allow them to sell at a different price point, or it could be that they have changed the wiring loom and the new wiring loom has a different connector, or you could be 100% correct and the camera is simply not electrically compatible.

Thanks again for all your feedback Marty.
Yeah, glued on, makes sense. Well, hopefully the same seller you bought it from can offer you the correct one, then they won't lose a sale and would or should be more willing to make the exchange. I don't think in this case that the part was made different from a selling or marketing standpoint. They changed something for some reason and while its possible that the one you bought will work, I think its worth the effort to resource the correct one for your car...well, maybe I should say that's what I would do and I have been known to have a sharp crafting knife
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 02:53 AM   #16
bmw_au
Registered
Australia
Rep

After my post from June, where I ordered the replacement front surround camera for my X5 (G05), and the replacement had a different "notches" on the connector.....
I had contacted the eBay seller and they refunded my purchase, and I ordered another camera which has the "notches" in the same places as my original camera (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/393841141055).
Upon receiving this camera, I removed the existing camera with the cracked in the lense, and installed the new camera, which fitted in perfectly, however the display in the vehicle reported "Camera failure."
So back I go to the seller and report the issue, and they refund it saying it was likely faulty, and I re-order another (third time lucky..right?).... Apparently not, as when the 3rd camera arrived, same issue as the 2nd camera "Camera failure."

Has anyone successfully replaced a front surround camera in an X5 (G05) with an aftermarket (or even original camera), and if so, was any configuration/programming required to get the new camera functional?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 02:56 PM   #17
DaveDBD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

The camera will be replaced under warranty if the glued on black surround of the lense falls off. I’ve had three do so.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 10:02 AM   #18
BMWdriverfixer
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5; 128i; 435

Front Surround View Camera Replacement

The link here is to a YouTube video I created when replacing the front surround view camera in my 2015 X5. I assume it's similar enough to be helpful. https://youtu.be/P0RQCAGvu90 Good luck! It was pretty easy to do.
Appreciate 0