BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-19-2021, 12:01 PM   #1
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: drei BMWs

NXTGEN X5/X6 Blindspot mirror review

I have not seen anyone mention these, so I wanted to pass along a quick review.

For reference, I set my mirrors 'the correct way' where you do not see the vehicle in the main mirror and cars from the center mirror go right to the side mirror as they are passing. By doing this, you don't miss passing vehicles in the usual blind spot, BUT there are still some sizable dead spots. This is especially true when vehicles drive along side of you, as well as motorcycles, bikes or pedestrians. I also fine the low placement of these super helpful for parking and towing. You get a great view of the rear tires, curbs and street lines/ parking stall lines.

I have the blindspot monitors, but they are custom fit so they perfectly contour the mirror and do not block the monitor lights.

They are real glass and the quality is impressive. You don't get that typical fisheye distortion. Every part of these are top notch quality.

They come with crazy strong 3M adhesive and they are rock solid.

Despite having cameras and the blindspot monitors, these are two thumbs up and highly useful.

Edit: I got mine on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Blind-Spot-Mi...st_sto_dp&th=1
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS

Last edited by VWAudi2BMW; 11-19-2021 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 3
nZtiZia4653.50
Paladin15556.00
GrussGott18183.50
      11-19-2021, 03:36 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
nice find! i would've got these for my G05 had i known they existed, but i ended up installing the euro-spec aspherical side mirrors. if they don't pass next month's vehicle inspection, then i'll get these little buggers. (too bad they don't have some for the current G30 5-series.)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 04:28 PM   #3
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
nice find! i would've got these for my G05 had i known they existed, but i ended up installing the euro-spec aspherical side mirrors. if they don't pass next month's vehicle inspection, then i'll get these little buggers. (too bad they don't have some for the current G30 5-series.)
I also had an F15, which got passed along in the family, but I still hang out in the F15 forums sometimes. There was a guy who had those and got these to try.

His mirror setting is not 'correct' but at the same time, he was really impressed vs the euro ones. I think he went to a regular mirror and just went with the NXTGEN ones. I believe he was in a country that had the euro ones stock, so he got the US mirrors to use the NXTGEN ones with.

While the euro ones are wider than our US, they get pretty distorted and they are not as wide still as these NXTGEN ones. I have to say, this glass is impressive for an aftermarket stick on piece, really impressive. Here is his picture from the F15 group. A number of members use them over there.

Name:  IMG_20211016_161551.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  205.7 KB
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 04:44 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

...interesting pic above, the NXTGEN add-on mirror has been placed on a BMW wide angle (aspherical) mirror.

That's a lot of EXTRA going on in that pic. Not only do you get the vehicle that is perpendicular to the rear of the X5 and the bush at the corner of the building...you also get the complete 3rd lane from the NXTGEN add-on mirror.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 10:01 PM   #5
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
...interesting pic above, the NXTGEN add-on mirror has been placed on a BMW wide angle (aspherical) mirror.

That's a lot of EXTRA going on in that pic. Not only do you get the vehicle that is perpendicular to the rear of the X5 and the bush at the corner of the building...you also get the complete 3rd lane from the NXTGEN add-on mirror.
When I am getting on the freeway I can see across all 4 lanes in the blindspot area with the NXTGEN ones. They are not very big, but big enough that on the drivers side where they make the biggest difference, not only can you see cars but what they are.

I’ve had other convex in the past that you saw ‘something’ there but it looked a million miles away and you couldn’t really tell what it was. It’s very interesting that these have such a wide view, but minimal distortion.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 04:13 AM   #6
walkday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e

I am curious what the banded area around the perimeter of the stock mirror is for?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 07:41 AM   #7
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkday View Post
I am curious what the banded area around the perimeter of the stock mirror is for?
The area within the band contains the auto-dimming elements.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 09:27 AM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkday View Post
Do you mean the area between the red lines in the pic below? If yes…that’s just a bezeled edge…basically a finishing design. It serves no extra function.

The heating elements is on the back side to help evaporate condensate…and the electochromatic (dimming) feature is designed between the glass and reflective backing. The sensor is in the interior rear view mirror….and the signal is sent to the exterior mirrors to dim when the interior mirror dims.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
walkday97.50
      11-20-2021, 11:01 AM   #9
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
lol I caved in and bought these blind spot mirrors to augment my euro aspherical side mirrors. now I just need my car back from recall repair :
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 11:14 AM   #10
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Automotive bifocals. I would get dizzy every time I checked the mirror. I have the Euro mirrors installed on both sides with passenger on each for widest view.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 11:58 AM   #11
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Automotive bifocals. I would get dizzy every time I checked the mirror. I have the Euro mirrors installed on both sides with passenger on each for widest view.
I put European wide angle on my previous Audi and it was nauseating to me. I actually much prefer having my regular mirror being non convex and just looking in the little one as needed. Whether the European ones or the NXTGEN ones, they both take a little getting used to. So I guess it all comes down to preference.

For me it’s just a quick glance in either mirror and I know exactly what is doing. I have had a few situations where I needed to move over really quickly to avoid hitting debris or to avoid an accident. I can confidently make a split second move on the drivers side, between the two mirrors, seeing from behind me all the way to my drivers door handle. No need to look in the center mirror or turn my head.

Maybe that’s not a huge deal every minute of driving, but it was potentially a life save several times. Definitely did not have that field of view With the Audi anti-dazzle wide-angle.

We have a single family home but our garage in the back. Our neighborhood is front door in the front and alleys in back with no driveways. We are the corner lot and it is a tight turn/ fit and the other garage is just across a narrow alley. This really helps me back in around the rounded curb and to swing the back in without scraping the fender along the side of the garage. Towing, this has a really nice view of the back tire and trailer within the lines and going around curbs.

If you can’t tell, I’m a huge fan
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      12-16-2023, 11:40 PM   #12
itshere
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAudi2BMW View Post

For reference, I set my mirrors 'the correct way' where you do not see the vehicle in the main mirror and cars from the center mirror go right to the side mirror as they are passing. By doing this, you don't miss passing vehicles in the usual blind spot, BUT there are still some sizable dead spots. This is especially true when vehicles drive along side of you, as well as motorcycles, bikes or pedestrians. I also fine the low placement of these super helpful for parking and towing. You get a great view of the rear tires, curbs and street lines/ parking stall lines.

I have the blindspot monitors, but they are custom fit so they perfectly contour the mirror and do not block the monitor lights.

They are real glass and the quality is impressive. You don't get that typical fisheye distortion. Every part of these are top notch quality.

Despite having cameras and the blindspot monitors, these are two thumbs up and highly useful.

Edit: I got mine on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Blind-Spot-Mi...st_sto_dp&th=1
Are these that different from the traditional $5 blind spot mirrors? Is it worth paying the extra $40? VWAudi2BMW

Last edited by itshere; 12-17-2023 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 07:03 AM   #13
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshere View Post
Are these that different from the traditional $5 blind spot mirrors? Is it worth paying the extra $40?
Where are you getting the "extra $40" from?

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 07:35 AM   #14
itshere
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Where are you getting the "extra $40" from?

I’m from Canada.. these are 32 plus 5 shipping. Okay so ~37 where as the small 3M mirrors at a local auto store are a couple bucks. I’m just asking if these are worth it regardless of the price.. is there really a big difference?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 07:44 AM   #15
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshere View Post
I’m from Canada.. these are 32 plus 5 shipping. Okay so ~37 where as the small 3M mirrors at a local auto store are a couple bucks. I’m just asking if these are worth it regardless of the price.. is there really a big difference?
Gotcha. According to what VWAudi2BMW posted, he did a comparison to other convex mirrors in his third post but why not reach out to him either via PM or including him in your post via the "@" followed by him handle, then the system will send him an email alert. They do look more OEM due to their shape that fit the mirror corner as opposed to the typical round or rectangular ones and from looking at the pix posted and the Amazon site, the convex distortion appears to be less, which I think was the point he was trying to make.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 08:35 AM   #16
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
I just ordered a set. Figured I would give these a try before going to the euro mirrors.

I noticed a couple of reviewers on Amazon said the mirror fell off after a while. Anyone here experience any thing like that over the long run?

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 10:49 AM   #17
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

If you all adjust the mirrors accordingly, these things are not needed. Even the Euro mirrors are not really needed.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 07:25 PM   #18
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
I noticed a couple of reviewers on Amazon said the mirror fell off after a while. Anyone here experience any thing like that over the long run?
The adhesive works best if the surface is warm to start with AND you leave things alone for about 24-hours. Slap them on in the cold and go for a drive, and yes, they may not stick. Also, make sure your mirror is clean prior to use. If I remember, the instructions say the same things. 3M adhesives are often used to hold various trim pieces on vehicles that stick throughout the vehicle's lifetime if installed properly.
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019146.00
      12-18-2023, 05:49 PM   #19
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAudi2BMW View Post

How is the visibility in the night with these?

Does this work with LCI X5? I think there is no change the mirror with LCI.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 11:41 PM   #20
SKBSY8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY19 X5 40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leasehackr View Post
How is the visibility in the night with these?

Does this work with LCI X5? I think there is no change the mirror with LCI.
Hi all, I’m glad you ask too. How does this work at night ? Curious to find out.
Audi Q3
Toyota Corolla S
Nissan Murano
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 12:46 AM   #21
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

It won't dim like the rest of the mirror...I'm interested in if it's a glare problem at night, too.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 07:15 PM   #22
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
It won't dim like the rest of the mirror...I'm interested in if it's a glare problem at night, too.
i'm interested, too. just the other night, i highly appreciated the mirror dimming as someone beside/behind me had their high beams on. while this blind spot mirror takes up less surface area than the entire mirror, could the bright light focus just 'perfectly' and be obtrusive to the driver?

Last edited by nZtiZia; 12-19-2023 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0