BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-21-2022, 03:15 PM   #1
Retta
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xdrive45e week 35

NEW CAR CARE: PPF, Ceramic, wrap, car wash

I am looking for advice on how much PPF I need and if I actually need it, how it works with a ceramic coat, if I even need that, and how to wash my rig. Also, what happens if I just wrap my car with a color skin?
I know, I know. The information is in threads around the forum but I seem to be a dullard in this instance.

My 2023 Metallic White X5 45e is being delivered this week. I am leaving on a road trip a week later. How do I take care of this thing?

I am on the fence over the PPF and ceramic coating. Do I need either one? Is a 12" bra deep enough for the PPF? What is the bare minimum and what is best practice?

How do I clean it? I have seen a lot of recommendations for cleaning products. What happens if I just use the local Mr. Smiley drive-through car wash? Will I get those ugly swirls?
My rig will be garaged. I live in snow country and my neighborhood is chock full o' high-end SUVs. The black X5 up the block looks dull and old as do the dark-colored XC90s, Cayennes, and the Navigators (or whatever those lovely boats are) There are no older light-colored ones. There s a beautiful white Mercedes down the other block that looks great. Is it because they used Mr. Smiley and Mercedes couple does it by hand? Is it the light color?
I did do research. I don't really know if what I am reading is reliable because I have no experience in it
      09-21-2022, 05:35 PM   #2
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40i xDrive

In my opinion PPF and ceramic coating is the way to go. My X5 has a full front end PPF on it including the headlights and mirror caps. Also PPF'd are the sills (rockers) the door shuts and all the piano black exterior door trims.

The only proper way to look after your car is to wash it yourself.

We have a saying in the UK about so called road side hand washes, it's...£5.00 for the wash, all the scratches are free...hence they are commonly referred to as scratch and shines.

Here's my X5 the day I picked it up from having it PPF'd and ceramic coated.

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 07:27 PM   #3
Retta
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malvern_man View Post
In my opinion PPF and ceramic coating is the way to go. My X5 has a full front end PPF on it including the headlights and mirror caps. Also PPF'd are the sills (rockers) the door shuts and all the piano black exterior door trims.

We have a saying in the UK about so called road side hand washes, it's...£5.00 for the wash, all the scratches are free...hence they are commonly referred to as scratch and shines.

That does look great. I was looking at a similar package. You went for the full hood instead of 12-18 inches? If you are doing rockers and door shuts. Why not doors?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 08:02 AM   #4
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retta View Post
That does look great. I was looking at a similar package. You went for the full hood instead of 12-18 inches? If you are doing rockers and door shuts. Why not doors?
Full car PPF isn't that popular in the UK for some reason, as far as I know you can request it but most PPF installers use computer pre cut sheets for just the front end etc, etc.

What do you mean by "full hood instead of 12-18 inches"
Appreciate 1
Retta19.00
      09-22-2022, 08:09 AM   #5
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retta View Post
Full car PPF isn't that popular in the UK for some reason, as far as I know you can request it but most PPF installers use computer pre cut sheets for just the front end etc, etc.

some installers offer just the leading edge of the hood/bonnet for ppf. I would feel a seam in the middle could become an issue over time (lifting, trapped dirt) and thus become a visible eyesore. if it were me, I'd just apply over the entire hood/bonnet for the cleanest, most secure application
Appreciate 1
Retta19.00
      09-22-2022, 08:53 AM   #6
Retta
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
some installers offer just the leading edge of the hood/bonnet for ppf. I would feel a seam in the middle could become an issue over time (lifting, trapped dirt) and thus become a visible eyesore. if it were me, I'd just apply over the entire hood/bonnet for the cleanest, most secure application
That was my concern as well. I intend to keep this thing for at least ten years.
      09-22-2022, 08:56 AM   #7
Retta
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:

For my usage, I do think the full car is overkill. Doing the full hood does make sense as it would be uniform.
      09-22-2022, 09:58 PM   #8
Blue87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 M50i, 05 S2000

I'm getting PPF tomorrow and currently planned for a partial hood. I've been contemplating full hood for more protection and headlights if that isn't included. I've have the partial on 3 of our vehicles and have never had it peel up, even after automated touch car washes (they clean better), despite the installer recommending against it. We shall see how this one goes ...maybe a seam would be more visible on blue paint vs gray...I'll see what they recommend.
Appreciate 1
Retta19.00
      09-22-2022, 10:31 PM   #9
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

I agree with a lot of this. My car does NOT have PPF (I wish I did it). Most of the damage (rock chips and such) is in the front including hood and front fenders. The piano black pieces take a lot of beating (I think because material is soft relative to paint) and mirrors. Mine is 2019 and virtually no damage on sides of the car or back.

I have ceramic coat and I like to use CarPro Reload after each wash to maintain and find very nice beading.

I also agree best is manual wash (of course not always possible) I would highly recommend touch less wash but it doesn't get everything u have to do it often to maintain.
Appreciate 1
Retta19.00
      09-23-2022, 10:27 AM   #10
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

The only reason to get PPF is if having minor imperfections will bother you on the front bumper. But don't think for a second that your PPF won't show those same imperfections when hit with small rocks and gravel. It's not a miracle solution.

So do you want to look at PPF with imperfections or your actual bumper with imperfections?

Ceramic is nice but there is nothing wrong with putting on a nice coat of sealant yourself every few months. All depends what you enjoy doing and if you're able to wash/seal the vehicle yourself.

Neither PPF or ceramic coating are absolute "must haves".

I recently sold a 2015 X5 with 100K miles. Had zero PPF and sealed every few months by yours truly. Looked perfect in every way.
Appreciate 2
Retta19.00
White3401393.00
      09-23-2022, 11:43 AM   #11
Blue87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 M50i, 05 S2000

My loaded M50i is not a must have; my old 1989 Camry would have taken me to work just fine with regular maintenance. I guess we've just been lucky with PPF on our last 3 vehicles and have had no noticeable damage. it's been a different story with every other vehicle I've owned that didn't have it, so we shall see how this one goes.

Last edited by Blue87; 09-23-2022 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
Retta19.00
      09-25-2022, 09:12 PM   #12
Retta
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

It figures. I bought the PPF pkg with full hood my dealer offered. It was priced surprisingly competitively. The appointment isn't set yet. Today I went 2 hours away because my son was begging to see the car and I had to test it out on the freeway. I heard a loud click and knew I had been hit. Sure enough, there is a chip through all the paint layers. Barely 200 miles on the car. So ridiculous.
Thank you all for your information. There was an older sedan with about an 18 in. bra in the showroom and it looked yucky. Of course, the products have improved, but I went with full hood coverage.
      09-29-2022, 10:55 PM   #13
Abune
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6

I think the best way is ppf all of front of part. I had a long trip fewdays ago. I drove from IL to MA and coming back. My new car was terrible. The hood, front bumper, front parts, mirror, windshield has chip rock and damaged. Need to be repair at bodyshop. And the sidesignal cover was damaged by rocks. Need to replace. I was regret.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 11:04 AM   #14
sbc-yyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5, 2018 Q5, 2018 P100D

I've got XPEL Ultimate Plus on the front and at the back. The only bits on the car without PPF are the doors, rear quarter panels and the roof. Unequivocally one of the best things I've spent money on, considering the tanzanite blue color of my X5. It wasn't cheap, but it's worth its weight in gold here in Calgary. The best thing about it is that I ceramic coated the PPF which now makes cleaning an absolute doddle. Absolutely nothing sticks to the surface.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 10:14 PM   #15
SplendidCamel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Cars don't rust these days when they get a paint chip, so PPF isn't necessary. It is nice to have.

I went with XPEL Ultimate Plus full-car and I am very happy that I did. I didn't opt for XPEL Fusion since it is easy enough to apply a spray-on ceramic over the PPF. The PPF adds chip and scuff protection. The ceramic spray adds sealant to the PPF topcoat and is slippery enough to keep the bug guts off.

If I had a $200,000 Ferrari, then the extra $2,000 for ceramic coating on top of the PPF, or a bit less for Fusion, would be a small drop in the bucket. Why not go all-in at that point.

I could have saved some money by doing PPF on the front, side skirts and rear bumper, but the incremental cost to do the whole car was not that much more.

PPF is expensive, so if you elect to put money into the car or options in lieu of PPF, that is completely reasonable. The car will survive without PPF. If you ask 10 people their opinion on this, you will get 10 different answers and they may all be accurate for each individual.
Appreciate 0