BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-25-2023, 06:32 AM   #1
jkramerXXX7
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i, 24 X5 50e

Getting the most out of my 50e

I bought this car for daily commutes and so far has exceeded my expectations in almost every way. I haven't taken any long distance trips yet which I'm sure will change the way my data looks. I have a trip scheduled to Cape Canaveral upcoming and will report my long distance mpg. I use the Assist Driving Mode daily but hope to test the Pro mode on the Fla trip. The Assist mode is pretty much flawless.
I'm consistently in the 43-55 mile range after charging. With level 2 chargers I'm getting full charge in 3-3.5 hours. I have 2 ChargePoint level 2's. One at home and another at work. I really like the Pre Conditioning feature that cools/heats the car while still plugged in thereby further saving battery range.
I find that Hybrid mode works well for me and very rarely change. I do occasionally use the battery hold feature on longer commutes to conserve battery for stop and go traffic. I find the acceleration adequate without the ICE switching on. No problem merging with interstate traffic. When it does come on, it's extremely smooth and barely noticeable. The Sport Mode is impressive the couple of times I've switched to it. I haven't officially measured the 0-60 time in sport but unofficially it is below the advertised time of 4.6sec. I have not measured the 0-60 in electric but my guess would be around 9-10sec
So far I've used about 3 gallons of gas. My estimated electric cost for the month is around $32. I'm averaging about 2.3 miles per kWh.
The air suspension provides a very smooth ride and I'm happy with it. To me the car does not feel "heavy" as one would expect given the added wt from the battery. More about this later after taking a trip to Cherokee and the Parkway. My wife's X7 is both smoother and definitely less noisy but that is expected.
For what I wanted the car is close to perfect. Actually look forward to my daily commute driving this car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      05-25-2023, 04:44 PM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

If it's like the 45e, on a trip without opportunity to recharge, expect somewhere around 28-mpg.

The ICE has two ways it can be started:
- from a stop, it uses the starter motor, about the same as a conventional ICE
- after moving, it uses the EV motor in 'tow start' mode to smoothly bring the ICE up to speed, which is hard to detect most of the time, at least to me on my 45e and I would expect the 50e to be the same

Running around town, I rarely have the ICE engage, and I'm not holding up traffic in the process. For those that insist on every start to be more like Le Mans, they will be disappointed as there is a (very) slight delay before the ICE can augment the power. It's not much different from an older version with turbo lag.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 10:53 AM   #3
mobsync
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
If it's like the 45e, on a trip without opportunity to recharge, expect somewhere around 28-mpg.

The ICE has two ways it can be started:
- from a stop, it uses the starter motor, about the same as a conventional ICE
- after moving, it uses the EV motor in 'tow start' mode to smoothly bring the ICE up to speed, which is hard to detect most of the time, at least to me on my 45e and I would expect the 50e to be the same

Running around town, I rarely have the ICE engage, and I'm not holding up traffic in the process. For those that insist on every start to be more like Le Mans, they will be disappointed as there is a (very) slight delay before the ICE can augment the power. It's not much different from an older version with turbo lag.
You need to drive a 50e in electric mode then. HUGE difference in battery only accerlation vs the 45e.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 03:36 PM   #4
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobsync View Post
You need to drive a 50e in electric mode then. HUGE difference in battery only accerlation vs the 45e.
To some, more power is the ultimate goal. For me, in my running around town, I rarely end up engaging the ICE...whatever floats your boat.
Appreciate 1
volodp198.00