BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-19-2023, 01:28 PM   #1
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Phone / profile setup between 2 drivers?

So, for the first time, my fiance actually has a car that I like to drive. Also, I do most of the driving when we take her car. She just picked up a 2020 X7 M50i.

We just can't seem to get it right with the phone setup. The other day, I drove and her phone was picked up by idrive, so I switched to mine. Now, her phone isnt connecting at all when she is driving by herself.

Would prefer to just use one key (her key) when we go. Whats the easiest way to manage this? Is it through a profile? Meaning, when I drive I just select my profile?

I believe where we are trying to get is that whoever is driver can have their phone (carplay) picked up more easily.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2023, 04:14 PM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
So, for the first time, my fiance actually has a car that I like to drive. Also, I do most of the driving when we take her car. She just picked up a 2020 X7 M50i.

We just can't seem to get it right with the phone setup. The other day, I drove and her phone was picked up by idrive, so I switched to mine. Now, her phone isnt connecting at all when she is driving by herself.

Would prefer to just use one key (her key) when we go. Whats the easiest way to manage this? Is it through a profile? Meaning, when I drive I just select my profile?

I believe where we are trying to get is that whoever is driver can have their phone (carplay) picked up more easily.
The 2020 should be on iD7. I can't confirm as my 2020 M850i only has my profile and phone as the wife will never drive my nickname of the "death machine". Too much power, etc. and the long sloping hood plus lower seating takes time to get used to. The car scared even me for the first few weeks of driving it. 😜

That said hopefully there is a similar setting to the iD8 in my wife's LCI. In that we have separate fobs (plus my DK+ on my phone). In the profile/phone settings there's an option for the driver's profile to only allow the associated phone to connect to the car.

Initially I set up the wife's profile as it's her DD and set up her Pixel 6 Pro. When I eventually got around to setting up my profile and connecting my Pixel 7 Pro I found the option to "lock it" to my profile only under the mobile devices settings "gear wheel". I then did the same for my wife's Pixel 6 Pro by using her fob for entry to load her profile and then "lock it" to her profile only.

It works like a champ as if we're both in the X5 and I'm driving (my profile active) only my Pixel 7 Pro can connect to the car regardless of her having her Pixel 6 Pro with her as well. The only oddity is iD8 will pop up messages that my Pixel and hers are ready to engage AA. Nope even if trying to do so on her Pixel it would fail as it's not connected to the car.

Hopefully there is a similar option in iD7. 👍
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-23-2023, 02:38 AM   #3
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
The 2020 should be on iD7. I can't confirm as my 2020 M850i only has my profile and phone as the wife will never drive my nickname of the "death machine". Too much power, etc. and the long sloping hood plus lower seating takes time to get used to. The car scared even me for the first few weeks if driving it. ��

That said hopefully there is a similar setting to the iD8 in my wife's LCI. In that we have separate fobs (plus my DK+ on my phone). In the profile/phone settings there's an option for the driver's profile to only allow the associated phone to connect to the car.

Initially I set up the wife's profile as it's her DD and set up her Pixel 6 Pro. When I eventually got around to setting up my profile and connecting my Pixel 7 Pro I found the option to "lock it" to my profile only under the mobile devices settings "gear wheel". I then did the same for my wife's Pixel 6 Pro by using her fob for entry to load her profile and then "lock it" to her profile only.

It works like a champ as if we're both in the X6 and I'm driving (my profile active) only my Pixel 7 Pro can connect to the car regardless of her having her Pixel 6 Pro with her as well. The only oddity is iD8 will pop up messages that my Pixel and hers are ready to engage AA. Nope even if trying to do so on her Pixel it would fail as it's not connected to the car.

Hopefully there is a similar option in iD7. ��
I don’t recall ID7 has similar option as I have 21 X5 and getting this error every day even though we have 2 keys/2 profiles setup.

Everytime I’m driving 21 X5 with my profile, my phone never connect automatically unless I go to devices and click my iPhone -> connect.

And just to confirm - you setup two profiles for LCI with 2 separate email on Connecteddrive.bmwusa.com? And added LCI to both online profile?

This will be the first thing I will setup after picking up 24 X5 next week.

Appreciate you sharing this with pics.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 02:37 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by leasehackr View Post
I don’t recall ID7 has similar option as I have 21 X5 and getting this error every day even though we have 2 keys/2 profiles setup.
That sounds like the iD6 in the wife's 2017 X5. We had 2 fobs and profiles set up for both, e.g., my driver seat setting, iD home screen, etc. for my fob vs hers. It seemed that the first phone to connect via Bluetooth was the winner and ironically that was generally my wife's Pixel for whatever reason.

Quote:
Everytime I’m driving 21 X5 with my profile, my phone never connect automatically unless I go to devices and click my iPhone -> connect.
That's a iD7 bug that I took had on the M850i but was fixed with an update in 2021. Odd that your iD7 still has the bug. Mine was worse though as even selecting "connect" sometimes failed. In that case I rebooted iDrive and boom the phone automatically connected.

Quote:
And just to confirm - you setup two profiles for LCI with 2 separate email on Connecteddrive.bmwusa.com? And added LCI to both online profile?
Correct. My wife didn't have a Connected Drive account for the 2017 X5 so I created her one and then used it to set up her profile. When I got around to setting up mine iD8 made it easy to log in to Connected Drive from the car and automatically sync my profile to the fob.

It's worth noting that the first profile used becomes the "primary". Pointing it out as only the primary can set up DK+ but then share with other drivers. So my wife was primary but there was an easy process in Connected Drive via the MyBMW app to transfer primary to my profile so I could set up DK+ on my Pixel to test it out.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2023, 03:16 PM   #5
southtdi
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5

We've run into this in my 2021 ID7 X5. We have key fobs setup for each of us, and the car sometimes picks up her phone over mine. We have got to where we try to make sure we do not have both keys and I get to the car first to make sure it is unlocked. When the issue does happen, it's the same you have seen. The phone can be a little picky to get back to the primary driver even when manually selecting to go back to it. I agree it can be annoying.
Appreciate 0