BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-19-2024, 04:19 PM   #1
krisf7
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i

DAP Front Radar, driver assistance temp restricted

Hey all, have a 2022 X5 M50i which we bought last year with 19,000KM's on it. When we first got it the DAP cut out with the Driver Assistance Temporarily Restricted error with a white box around the front radar on the Idrive. We thought it was odd but went outside to clean all the already clean areas it said were dirty. Brought it to the dealer and there were no codes so no repair. Have now had it there another 2 times for same issue. 2nd time same story no codes. 3rd time now they acknowledge it may not be working(since we had pictures showing the error) but because there were no codes they could not do anything and told us to use the old school cruise control. We were sold on this whole BMW experience thing but it's Turning out to be a bunch of BS. Our Chevy dealer would have swapped parts from vehicles in the lot to try to figure it out or do whatever they could!!!
Any ideas on what I should do? Would buying a used radar on eBay to see if that's the issue work? Not interested in spending $4-6k for a new radar if its on warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 04:21 PM   #2
krisf7
Rep

I should add that it cuts out at least 4 times in an hour of driving. Not what we paid for...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 04:29 PM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Try another dealer. If that is not possible then ask your dealer to escalate the problem to see if you they can get permission to replace the part under warranty. If that doesn't work then contact BMW Canada and maybe they can put some pressure on the dealer.
      02-21-2024, 08:35 AM   #4
krisf7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Try another dealer. If that is not possible then ask your dealer to escalate the problem to see if you they can get permission to replace the part under warranty. If that doesn't work then contact BMW Canada and maybe they can put some pressure on the dealer.
Unfortunately, I have tried that. BMW NA said if the dealer won't fix it due to no codes to start the process, then there is nothing they will do.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 08:36 AM   #5
krisf7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisf7 View Post
Unfortunately, I have tried that. BMW NA said if the dealer won't fix it due to no codes to start the process, then there is nothing they will do.
Nearest next dealer is likely 3 hours away if I go to the US, and 6 hours to Regina so really not great options. But south could work just not sure how they work the warranty process cross border.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 01:46 PM   #6
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Nearest next dealer is likely 3 hours away if I go to the US, and 6 hours to Regina so really not great options. But south could work just not sure how they work the warranty process cross border.
Going to the US is not really feasible and the warranty will not be good there. Make an appointment with the general manager (or similar position) of the dealership and explain the situation making sure to include your picture of the error. Maybe he will be able to get things done. Good luck.
      02-29-2024, 03:09 PM   #7
krisf7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Going to the US is not really feasible and the warranty will not be good there. Make an appointment with the general manager (or similar position) of the dealership and explain the situation making sure to include your picture of the error. Maybe he will be able to get things done. Good luck.
BMW's bought in Canada are void of Warranty in the USA? SO I go on a road trip with a new BMW engine blows and it has to be towed back to Canada for warranty?

THAT IS A JOKE!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 03:32 PM   #8
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
BMW's bought in Canada are void of Warranty in the USA? SO I go on a road trip with a new BMW engine blows and it has to be towed back to Canada for warranty?

THAT IS A JOKE!
That is correct, BMW's bought in Canada has their warranty through BMW Canada. You would have to check with BMW Canada as they may pay the US dealer for doing the repair.
      03-07-2024, 07:03 PM   #9
14Down
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i, X3 M40i, M Roadster

krisf7,

I am not sure if this is the same issue as you didn't post your actual error message and the cars are of slightly different years, but I had an issue with my Active Cruise Control early on in my 2020 X3 M40i. Kept getting an error that driving assistance (or sometimes ACC) was temporarily unavailable. ACC would turn off in the middle of the freeway with no cars in front and perfectly clear weather. Several trips to the dealer as the error wasn't showing up to them. Took video and took it in. Long story short; they replaced the radar sensor; error returned later. Took it in when BMW factory rep was in. He recommended replacing the KAFAS (or whatever the camera is called); error returned. Took it back in. Service Director asked me to come back in on a day when the Factory Rep returned. Factory tech downloaded stuff my dealer said they had no access to and sent info to Germany. BMW Germany looked at data for a day or so and said to replaced a simple ethernet type switch. Problem solved! Today's electronics are a pain to diagnose. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 03:21 PM   #10
krisf7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Down View Post
krisf7,

I am not sure if this is the same issue as you didn't post your actual error message and the cars are of slightly different years, but I had an issue with my Active Cruise Control early on in my 2020 X3 M40i. Kept getting an error that driving assistance (or sometimes ACC) was temporarily unavailable. ACC would turn off in the middle of the freeway with no cars in front and perfectly clear weather. Several trips to the dealer as the error wasn't showing up to them. Took video and took it in. Long story short; they replaced the radar sensor; error returned later. Took it in when BMW factory rep was in. He recommended replacing the KAFAS (or whatever the camera is called); error returned. Took it back in. Service Director asked me to come back in on a day when the Factory Rep returned. Factory tech downloaded stuff my dealer said they had no access to and sent info to Germany. BMW Germany looked at data for a day or so and said to replaced a simple ethernet type switch. Problem solved! Today's electronics are a pain to diagnose. Hope this helps.
Wow that's an ordeal! Thanks for the heads up. I bought a radar on eBay and installed and coded it. So far it's working but we haven't made the longer trips yet where it was an issue. If the error returns I will definitely look at the ethernet switch. Any idea where that switch is?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 08:04 PM   #11
14Down
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i, X3 M40i, M Roadster

Krisf7,
Sorry. I was so happy to get the issue resolved that I never asked. Remember, my BMW dealer had no access to the information that allowed BMW Germany to ascertain that it was an ethernet switch. I guess it is a limitation of the Ista (or whatever it is called) that BMW uses at its dealers to diagnose problems (apparently not all the data from the car is visible, or being able to be diagnosed, on Ista).
Appreciate 1
krisf70.00
      03-24-2024, 07:42 AM   #12
krisf7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Down View Post
Krisf7,
Sorry. I was so happy to get the issue resolved that I never asked. Remember, my BMW dealer had no access to the information that allowed BMW Germany to ascertain that it was an ethernet switch. I guess it is a limitation of the Ista (or whatever it is called) that BMW uses at its dealers to diagnose problems (apparently not all the data from the car is visible, or being able to be diagnosed, on Ista).
Ok thanks I’ll figure it out if needed.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 08:14 PM   #13
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2020 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
I would be interested to know what software the factory used to interogate the car with.
I do know from experience with VAG cars. VW Germany restricts it's dealers with access to various ECU's and the ability to interogate them for errors to the point some VW techies use VCDS software deleveloped by Ross Tech that does deeper interogation without needing passwords/admin rights