BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-31-2023, 12:34 PM   #1
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

MY24 X5 windshield replacement, calibration is a must and only thru dealer

Had a rock chip driving down i-880 around fremont area and windshield start to crack. Had to replace it. Had Geico for insurance.

Geico usually don't reimburse for dealer's rate and they usually refers to safelite, which is fine since many dealer and repair shop outsource the glass job to safelite anyway. I had $200 deductible for comprehensive, safelite quote is $1800 without calibration.

Safelite does not have 24 X5 in their system yet, so I have to wait for a few days for their "parts dept" to order the part thru dealer. Geico approved the OEM part as it is supposed to be the only parts available? Not too sure how different it is from pre-LCI model, but the parts system says no aftermarket is available which I was pretty happy with.

Safelite performs the installation which was reasonably good; however they are not able to do calibration for 24 X5 (I don't know if's because the vehicle is too new, or it is too complicated). They asked me to bring the vehicle to the dealer to do calibration. I called Geico and they told me I can go to any dealer, ask for calibration, pay out-of-pocket and provided a way to get reimbursement.

Calibration is an absolute must after windshield replacement.
I took the car home and tried to see what would it feel and to my surprise, the assisted driving system was freaked out, it is very inaccurate. With AR mode, the "green box" is quite off the car in front of me. I tried to engaged drive assist where there is no traffic around me just to see how bad it was, and it just went crazy - the car jerks wildly to the right into the lane on my right. It would be a very dangerous situation if speed is high or there is traffic around.

At dealer, they quoted me an astonishing $1590 for the recalibration work. 530 * 3, for front camera, radar, and side peripheral cameras. That is very expensive. I made sure SA put a note that each item is required after windshield replacement. Called Geico again and rep says they know it would expensive, that is why they refer people to safelite first and if safelite can't do then dealer it is what it is.
Appreciate 3
      08-31-2023, 12:46 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Take it to another, recalibration takes less than an hour. My dealer did it for free for me when they replaced a gel pack. Unless something drastically changed, the recalibration process is only on the KAFAS.
      08-31-2023, 12:53 PM   #3
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Take it to another, recalibration takes less than an hour. My dealer did it for free for me when they replaced a gel pack. Unless something drastically changed, the recalibration process is only on the KAFAS.
That was also my impression for my last x3, where safelite took about 30min. No idea why it becomes so expensive now. Since insurance pays (and in CA laws does not allow increase insurance rate for comprehensive claim) I would probably not fight this, but this is really really expensive.

Also it is not a dealer I really prefer to use, but I figured it is just a couple minutes from my home I'll just use it for convinence for something small like this, no idea if they are overcharging...

Last edited by aaaaaaaaaz; 08-31-2023 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 10:16 PM   #4
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzyy View Post

At dealer, they quoted me an astonishing $1590 for the recalibration work. 530 * 3, for front camera, radar, and side peripheral cameras. That is very expensive. I made sure SA put a note that each item is required after windshield replacement. Called Geico again and rep says they know it would expensive, that is why they refer people to safelite first and if safelite can't do then dealer it is what it is.
Which dealer did you go to? BMW of Fremont? There’s like 6 dealers in the Bay Area, some better than others, but they all seem to be a little crooked when quoting labor.
Appreciate 2
      08-31-2023, 10:19 PM   #5
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
Which dealer did you go to? BMW of Fremont? There’s like 6 dealers in the Bay Area, some better than others, but they all seem to be a little crooked when quoting labor.
Fremont.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 08:43 AM   #6
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Insurance companies have been promoters and supporters of ADAS in that features such as blind spot monitoring and lane departure warnings reduce the number and severity of auto accidents. Calibration after windshield replacement is necessary to restore the accuracy of lane positioning. Insurance companies should pay up no matter what the cost for the glass and calibration. My MB windshield cost $3400 to replace and recalibrate. My '95 Jeep that has none of this high tech stuff has a $100 windshield that I can replace myself in less than an hour.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 12:29 PM   #7
David3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 (x2), E46, F15, G05 LCI

My wife and I took a rock to the windshield while returning home from PCD. I absolutely wanted a BWM branded OEM windshield and took it the dealer for repair. My total repair bill was $3273 (including $342 for calibration). USAA would only agree to pay $2865 (before deductible) total. Sure, you can take it where you wan to, but if your shop charges more than the allowable (i.e. the insurance providers shop) you pay the difference (TX).

Unrelated: So far, we have had a total of about 12 days of the car working as it should since we picked it up from factory on 6/21/23. Both BMW's fault and others.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 02:48 PM   #8
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Just replaced my X5 45e windshield. Bill was $3600 with calibration. Progressive is covering all but $250 (although I haven't seen the check yet). Absolutely positively need calibration. I would not have accepted the car (or done the work) unless the full task was competed at one go.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 10:07 AM   #9
Kgerry59
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5

was the same on my GLE400. Had to be calibrated by dealership or dealership appointed glass shop.
Appreciate 0