BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-03-2023, 09:42 PM   #1
FrozenGas
Private
Rep
Drives: G05

Should I buy BMW Extended Warranty or no?

Hey guys

Have a X5 that is about to expire with original 4 year OEM warranty - BMW extended warranty in my area is around $6k-10k to go to 7 years.

Car currently has an ultra low mileage at around only 15,000. No accident of any sort...

Great to get some advice from you experts
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 09:48 PM   #2
TheACN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
You need to shop around. I live in Brooklyn but someone here told me about a dealer in California, Steve Thomas bmw I believe. They sold the 7/100 platinum for a little over $4k. It’s legit since I also got the extended service deal from them and it’s being honored here. I also see the warranty in mybmw app.

as for how useful it is, I got no idea, yet. I have owned mine for 16 months and I’m at 46k miles already, so i guess I’ll know soon enough.
Appreciate 1
X3_Alaska142.00
      09-03-2023, 10:47 PM   #3
Blue87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 M50i, 05 S2000

I have always had good luck with factory extended warranty from other manufacturers and would go with BMWs if the dealership would have offered it for $4k. Instead I went with the one they use for less, but somewhat regret it since I've been getting the itch for a M3/M4 or M5. For comparison, Audi offered a 2 year extended warranty on a Q7 with 60k miles for $3500.

Simple answer is yes for $4k; I like knowing that the vehicle will get fixed if something malfunctions. In my experience, aftermarket warranties are hit or miss and don't always cover common repairs. Additionally, I dont' have the time to sit in my garage diagnosing/repairing vehciles, so this works for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 05:04 AM   #4
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGas View Post
Hey guys

Have a X5 that is about to expire with original 4 year OEM warranty - BMW extended warranty in my area is around $6k-10k to go to 7 years.

Car currently has an ultra low mileage at around only 15,000. No accident of any sort...

If you like peace of mind I would contact cnewman@stevethomasbmw.com for member discounts. They offer great deals on factory warranties.

Many would advise not to take it but it's a personal choice like any insurance. You may never use it, or you may need it and it pays off. Hard to make the call.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 05:55 AM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

From a financial point of view it likely will not pay off for you but if you like the feeling of being covered should something happen then it is worthwhile having it. Make sure you get the Platinum since that will offer the best coverage.

While I don't recommend getting one I shopped around for pricing a couple of years ago and here were the folks that provided the best pricing and continue to do so for members who have tried them.

Daniel Kim at dkim@saffordauto.com, Jeff Steel at jeff.steel@passportauto.com and Christine from GOLFFRR 's place at cnewman@stevethomasbmw.com
      09-04-2023, 02:43 PM   #6
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue87 View Post
I have always had good luck with factory extended warranty from other manufacturers and would go with BMWs if the dealership would have offered it for $4k. Instead I went with the one they use for less, but somewhat regret it since I've been getting the itch for a M3/M4 or M5. For comparison, Audi offered a 2 year extended warranty on a Q7 with 60k miles for $3500.

Simple answer is yes for $4k; I like knowing that the vehicle will get fixed if something malfunctions. In my experience, aftermarket warranties are hit or miss and don't always cover common repairs. Additionally, I dont' have the time to sit in my garage diagnosing/repairing vehciles, so this works for me.
The bolded part, for me, is the key for two reasons. If having the policy gives you greater peace of mind and makes the ownership experience happier, then absolutely consider it.

The caution here, though, is that these warranties are not the bumper to bumper warranties you might be expecting. Demand to see the contract of insurance (not the brochure but the actual policy) to see what is and isn't excluded. I examined the BMW policy at the time of purchase and decided that there was no value in it for me.

It is, after all, a gamble made by the insurer that you won't need repairs that would cost them more than they collect from you. They only sell them to make money. Like any insurance, you are betting that you'll have covered repairs in excess of the cost.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 04:19 PM   #7
MassWholeBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i

I'm a long time member and frequent poster on the F150 forum. The three (guessing here) most common posts are:
1. What brand oil should I use.
2. How much can I tow.
3. Is an extended warranty worth it.

For # 3, other than advice on what dealer has the best pricing, it's all opinions. Do what u feel comfortable doing. If u sleep better at night knowing an engine failure at 4 years + 1 day will be covered, it's worth it.
      09-04-2023, 08:07 PM   #8
FrozenGas
Private
Rep
Drives: G05

Thanks to everyone will def think about it before proceeding...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 01:13 AM   #9
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep
Drives: BLACK 2015 528I

Quote:
Thanks to everyone will def think about it before proceeding...
I have endurance on my 50i. I'm not owning a bmw without warranty again. My last f15 was a bad idea. Ended up paying over $15K in repairs/maintenance in a year.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2023, 01:31 AM   #10
Georgetheowl
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 XDrive 45E

if you are certain to keep the vehicle for a long time and to put quite a lot of miles on it, extended warranty is a no-brainer.

I matched the extended warranty on my vehicle to 8 years 120K kms the same as the high voltage battery.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 08:30 AM   #11
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat View Post
Like any insurance, you are betting that you'll have covered repairs in excess of the cost.
This is the only thing that really matters. Don't buy an extended warranty simply because it gives you peace of mind--after all, I wouldn't feel very good spending $4-6k on something that only ended up covering me for $2k in repairs.

It's gotta make sense, and remember that it doesn't cover anything that's normal wear and tear or maintenance items. Also don't forget that the G05 and B58 engine have been surprisingly reliable--this is the least scary BMW I've ever owned.
      09-05-2023, 09:32 AM   #12
kirky27
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat View Post
The bolded part, for me, is the key for two reasons. If having the policy gives you greater peace of mind and makes the ownership experience happier, then absolutely consider it.

The caution here, though, is that these warranties are not the bumper to bumper warranties you might be expecting. Demand to see the contract of insurance (not the brochure but the actual policy) to see what is and isn't excluded. I examined the BMW policy at the time of purchase and decided that there was no value in it for me.

It is, after all, a gamble made by the insurer that you won't need repairs that would cost them more than they collect from you. They only sell them to make money. Like any insurance, you are betting that you'll have covered repairs in excess of the cost.
It is not only a just bet but a bet buttressed by statistical, actuarial calculations.
So historically ,at least, the house will win the majority of the times.
As an individual, you may require the use of the insurance policy but the majority of the insured will not.
It’s all about the money.
Appreciate 2
tooloud10766.50
X3_Alaska142.00
      09-05-2023, 10:05 AM   #13
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Hey guys

Realistically, how much longer do you plan on actually keeping the X5? Is the intent to truly keep it for another 3 years? Is that how long you’ve typically kept your previous vehicles?

If you’ve typically never kept a vehicle that long but you think this one might be the one you’ll keep longer than usual, I’d think long and hard about doing the extended warranty. I’ve found that no matter how many times I’ve said to myself that I’ll keep a vehicle for X number of years, I’ve never actually done it so for me buying the extended maintenance/warranty has never been a worth while purchase.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 04:37 PM   #14
Crusje
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Not worth it to me. Do you know why they offer it to you? It's to make them money. More often than not, the math won't add up. I keep enough liquid to buy a brand new car as an emergency fund anyway so I'll pay for repairsout of pocket if needed.
Appreciate 2
roamio253.50
tooloud10766.50
      09-05-2023, 05:21 PM   #15
tooloud10
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusje View Post
Not worth it to me. Do you know why they offer it to you? It's to make them money. More often than not, the math won't add up. I keep enough liquid to buy a brand new car as an emergency fund anyway so I'll pay for repairsout of pocket if needed.
^^ This. I’ve had scary, unreliable BMWs but the G05 is not one of them. If I was worried enough about unscheduled repairs to buy an extended warranty, I couldn’t have justified buying the car in the first place.
      09-05-2023, 10:47 PM   #16
nalmog
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
From a financial point of view it likely will not pay off for you but if you like the feeling of being covered should something happen then it is worthwhile having it. Make sure you get the Platinum since that will offer the best coverage.

While I don't recommend getting one I shopped around for pricing a couple of years ago and here were the folks that provided the best pricing and continue to do so for members who have tried them.

Daniel Kim at dkim@saffordauto.com, Jeff Steel at jeff.steel@passportauto.com and Christine from GOLFFRR 's place at cnewman@stevethomasbmw.com
Small world, Daniel Kim was the finance guy at the dealership I purchased my X5 in Maryland (BMW of Owings Mills). Interesting his contact information gets passed around on a national scale.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 11:26 PM   #17
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Realistically, how much longer do you plan on actually keeping the X5? Is the intent to truly keep it for another 3 years? Is that how long you’ve typically kept your previous vehicles?

If you’ve typically never kept a vehicle that long but you think this one might be the one you’ll keep longer than usual, I’d think long and hard about doing the extended warranty. I’ve found that no matter how many times I’ve said to myself that I’ll keep a vehicle for X number of years, I’ve never actually done it so for me buying the extended maintenance/warranty has never been a worth while purchase.
I personally think I would rather take the cost of the extended warranty after the normal one expires in three years and the equity of the car trade and get a new car .
Appreciate 2
chicagofan0019146.00
tooloud10766.50
      09-06-2023, 07:22 AM   #18
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

anyone who is interested, we do blow them out for forum members, just follow link here, first post
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1676787

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 08:08 AM   #19
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

I took out the extended warranty last year. It's coming to an end later this month (car is almost 4 years old) and I will most likely renew for another year - just like to have the piece of mind over anything else!

I do have Autowatch Ghost on my car, and they've said although warranty is still valid, they will not cover the Ghost (obviously) or any issue they feel the Ghost immobilizer has caused, which makes me a little nervous as they could use that as an excuse for any issue....... so far so good though......

NOTE: I generally keep cars for a long period of time and intend to keep this one for many years yet.....

Last edited by IftiBashir; 09-06-2023 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 08:19 AM   #20
tooloud10
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
I took out the extended warranty last year. It's coming to an end later this month (car is almost 4 years old) and I will most likely renew for another year - just like to have the piece of mind over anything else!
How much was the warranty? How much did it save you?
      09-07-2023, 04:19 AM   #21
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
How much was the warranty? How much did it save you?
It costs me £834 per year

To be fair everyone I ask is telling me not to bother. I'm now reconsidering whether to renew it.

My X5 is a second car. I walk to work, so no vehicle needed throughout teh week normally. I use my wife's older and smaller Honda Civic as a runaround, for basic shopping trips etc. The X5 is more a weekend/family car.

My annual mileage for last year was 2500 miles!
Vehicle is a Sept 2019 model with 13,500 on the clock.

Never had any issues (other then remote software upgrade not completing - likely down to low battery charge!)

So, having had extended warranty for Year 4, at a cost of £834 (around $1400) it has fortunately never been used - other then my normal service Ive had no need. The car runs great.

Now I'm reconsidering whether to renew warranty for Year 5. Maybe I could just do the roadside recovery (saying that, AA would be cheaper, but I guess BMW recovery would carry BMW parts etc?) as I have children so would hate to be stranded anywhere!

Was just looking at this: https://www.amazon.com/UniCarScan-UC...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Am tempted to buy it, along with BimmerLink so I can check on my battery and any fault codes etc myself and give the warranty a miss......

I'm assuming I can buy the OBD2 scanner from the US even though I'll be using it in the UK? (I have vouchers for the US site I can use!)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 04:21 AM   #22
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
This is the only thing that really matters. Don't buy an extended warranty simply because it gives you peace of mind--after all, I wouldn't feel very good spending $4-6k on something that only ended up covering me for $2k in repairs.

It's gotta make sense, and remember that it doesn't cover anything that's normal wear and tear or maintenance items. Also don't forget that the G05 and B58 engine have been surprisingly reliable--this is the least scary BMW I've ever owned.
Thank you - this is very reassuring. I'm leaning towards giving my renewal a miss.....
Appreciate 0