BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-18-2023, 08:56 PM   #1
MNm3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Le Mans Blue e90 M3

Missing Central Display Data & no CarPlay call notifications after iDrive 8.5 update

We just got our 50e back from the dealer after they'd had it for about a month for a bad valve dealing with battery cooling (long story)...

Dealer updated the car to 8.5 while they had it and there are a few gremlins it seems.

- When receiving calls while phone is connected to Apple CarPlay, the car doesn't notify you of the incoming call. I'll look down and see I missed a call even though the phone never rang through the car's system. I can make calls with no issues.

- There is no data in the Central Display within the main instrument cluster. You can cycle through each data field using the steering wheel buttons (maps, trip data, entertainment, etc.) but nothing is displayed in any setting.

Has anyone else had this happen?
      09-18-2023, 10:11 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
perform iDrive reboot. report back
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 10:59 PM   #3
MNm3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Le Mans Blue e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
perform iDrive reboot. report back
This was a reoccurring issue throughout afternoon with a few shut downs and start ups. Eventually had to go home and sleep. Car sat overnight and issue went away. A few cycles later though I’ve occasionally had some variation of the same problem but 95+% of time it’s fine.

Going to chalk it up to software bugs/tech. Just like a smart phone, sometimes need a full shut down restart/refresh.
      10-02-2023, 03:03 PM   #4
shawn91
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

I've experienced the same issue a few days ago. The central display randomly went blank and said temporarily unavailable. The only thing that would show up is the current speed. I went home, rebooted iDrive by holding the volume button down and then restarted the car. That didn't work. I turned off the car and then turned it back on roughly an hour later, that fixed it. And then turned the car back on the next day and it happened again. I rebooted it again and turned the car off and on and drove it to work and it was fine. So far its been two days and it hasn't happened since. I'm hoping its just a software/run-in glitch and it goes away with time. I've had similar issues once or twice where the main screen in the centre of the car turn off and go black for a few seconds while driving and then automatically turn back on
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 01:02 PM   #5
shawn91
Enlisted Member
Rep

Happened again today while I was reversing out of my garage. The reverse camera was on and once I put the vehicle in park I noticed my apple carplay wasn't connected automatically, then all of a sudden the reverse camera went black and then reappeared as a smaller very thin view in portrait mode. Then in the central display it said temporarily unavailable. I then performed a reboot and then turned the vehicle off and on and that fixed the issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 09:48 PM   #6
shawn91
Enlisted Member
Rep

So I took my X5 into the dealership today to have them check it out. Apparently they did a hard software update so I'm hoping this fixes the issue. When I sat in the car I saw that the check engine light was on so I went back in and told them then they did something that made it go away I'll keep monitoring it to see if the issue reoccurs
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 08:15 AM   #7
Jcit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
I have had the same issue with the central display in the cockpit on my '24 50e (iDrive 8.5 07/2023.33). Intermittently the central display will go blank and only the current speed can be selected. It seems to happen mostly when I switch driving modes (e.g. Hybrid -> Sport) so I think there is just a bug in the software.

Last edited by Jcit; 10-06-2023 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 01:46 PM   #8
shawn91
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yea so far that issue seems to be ok for now but now my issue is that apple carplay wont connect automatically when I turn the vehicle on and when I try to select it manually it wont connect. I tried rebooting iDrive and disconnected my phone and forgetting it from the system and repairing it and that still didnt fix it
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 01:55 PM   #9
colo3Kid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Hey there group - I purchased an X5 M60i Saturday, September 30,2023. Great vehicle. Marina Bay Blue, coffee Sensafin interior. Got most everything but Driving Assistance Pro Package.

Anyway the issue is with iDrive 8.5 - salesman and jr. Genious guy. Tried without success to complete the day by trying to load Add My BMW ID to no avail. Got a warning message in the car that data reception was unavailable. Well being it was weekend they asked me to wait until Monday or Tuesday till a reset singal was sent to the car from BMW. Oddly the My BMW app on my phone shows the new vechicle as part of my garage, I also have a 22 M4 CX. But there gaps in data in the app for the X5 like miles, attempting to find it the app can't, and a few other oddities. But yet air pressure is displayed in the app. This is really wierd.

The signal from BMW didn't work. if it was ever sent at all? The next suggestion was to do a reset by holding down the volume button. This did not work either. During that attempt it was recommend to check for app updates via the system settings before doing the reset. Well that didn't work either due to a waring that said basically updates could not be performed. The last update oddly enough was Saturday at 10:23 am while I was at the dealership doing the deal. I tried a reset using the volume button about 3 or 4 times to no avail.
The dealer felt that hooking up a computer at a BMW shop and doing diagnostics or anothe attempt at some sort of hard reboot would solve the problem.

I bought the vehicle at a dealership about 200+ miles from my hometown dealership. So the vehicle is at the hometown shop since yesterday around 9:30am the dealership where I purchased set up the appt. here locally. Calling the dealership this morning around 10am I was told the tech is running diagnostics and they should know something later today.

So far it is nearly 2pm and I have heard nothing and will call here shortly. Not confident!? I'll keep this forum updated, but wondering if any one has seen this issue yet with 8.5?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 03:27 PM   #10
shawn91
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcit View Post
I have had the same issue with the central display in the cockpit on my '24 50e (iDrive 8.5 07/2023.33). Intermittently the central display will go blank and only the current speed can be selected. It seems to happen mostly when I switch driving modes (e.g. Hybrid -> Sport) so I think there is just a bug in the software.

I had the same issue happen to me today while driving. I was in comfort mode and switched to sports plus and all of a sudden I noticed the central display went blank. And when I would try to switch from map or anything else, nothing would show up. I got to work and tried rebooting iDrive again and even turned the car off and on again and nothing happened. The car has been off for a few hours now, I'm hoping that next time I get into the car and turn it on it will be back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 09:22 PM   #11
shawn91
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quick update, when I turned my car on after a few hours it was back to normal. I think it just needed to sit for a while and reset
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 06:43 PM   #12
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn91 View Post
Quick update, when I turned my car on after a few hours it was back to normal. I think it just needed to sit for a while and reset
If you are located in Canada, have you not being offered the 07/2023.53 remote software update? Owners in Canada are reporting they are able to update. It may address your Apple carplay and iDrive crashes (screen going black).
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 11:18 PM   #13
Noel2024
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive 40i

Same missing central display problem

I have the same problem of random missing central display issues - just the speed and gear show up. I also lose everything on HU except for speed limit and current speed. As with others, it usually comes back after I turn the car off for a while and then start it back up again.

Just got my 2024 X5 xDrive 40i on Nov 1. Been in the shop since Nov 29. My dealership spoke with BMW and tried replacing instrument cluster. Picked it up today and the central display went blank within 20 min so it's back in the shop. I did switch from comfort to sport individual and then back to comfort mode today. Saw one of you had this issue occur after doing so, so I sent a message to my dealer about that. I also noticed when it went out today it also disconnected my phone which it hadn't done before.

Have any of you found out what is causing this, and more importantly, a solution?
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2024, 09:19 AM   #14
whitewolf71
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2024

Same issue here

I am having the same issue - X5 '24 with 8.5. Central screen goes blank maybe 10% of the time. Hard reboot sometimes helps, sometimes not. At this point just hoping the next update fixes it. Any idea when that is rolling out?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 12:45 PM   #15
shawn91
Enlisted Member
Rep

Something weird happened today when starting up my car. I first remote started it because its freezing here in Canada. I let it run for the full time till the vehicle shut off. I sat in the car and turned it on by pressing the start button. The main infotainment screen was black for about 10-15 secs then finally it turned on and the central display showed no information available for 3-5 seconds. Once everything had started up I turned off the car and turned it on again, this time everything was fine the screen came on right away. Not sure if it was a software glitch or something to do with the cold weather
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 05:34 PM   #16
mulderscully
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Same issue here as Noel. The dealer replaced the instrument cluster thinking that was the problem. Everything was fine for a few days, but the issue has returned.

Sometimes just shows the gear I’m in. Unable to change anything using the bc button on the stalk.

Obvious to me now that it’s not the instrument cluster but a software issue.
Appreciate 0