BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-08-2023, 04:55 PM   #1
Brian10596
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Subaru Outback

A Possible Change to the stock rims

I have a 2023 45e in production and I’m considering having the rims painted. It has the M Sport package and shadow line trim. 20" M Star-spoke bi-color wheels Mineral white with cognac sensafin. I’m thinking of doing the circle around the BMW emblem the same color as the car and the rest black but without the car in front of me I’m having difficulty picking the black that will look best.
Any advice will be appreciated I will probably give the “e” a bit of time when it comes as I don’t like doing things spur of the moment. I just want to differentiate the look of my Bimmer from the rest of its brothers. Any other cosmetic advice welcome as I would really like to have a head turner without having to rob a bank.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 06:20 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
BMW’s jet black paint code is 668, though that’s for the body. dunno about wheels
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 12:41 PM   #3
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

I wouldn't do the wheel cap area mineral white to -stick out-
With that said, I wouldn't do paint either though. Get them powdercoated if you are going for a color change. The finish would be much more durable versus paint which will just chip and show all the little nicks and debris that hit the wheels at 60mph+.....Anyhow, with black paint, it will just show up even more.

And fwiw, there is a whole world of colors other than black or silver when it comes to powder coating....

Last edited by chefwong; 03-09-2023 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 2
nZtiZia4739.00
      03-09-2023, 09:03 PM   #4
Brian10596
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Subaru Outback

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
I wouldn't do the wheel cap area mineral white to -stick out-
With that said, I wouldn't do paint either though. Get them powdercoated if you are going for a color change. The finish would be much more durable versus paint which will just chip and show all the little nicks and debris that hit the wheels at 60mph+.....Anyhow, with black paint, it will just show up even more.

And fwiw, there is a whole world of colors other than black or silver when it comes to powder coating....
I think that I will check out powered coating but I want to get the color right I would like the car to stand out without looking ridiculous. If I can’t figure it out maybe I’ll just get new rims.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 07:39 AM   #5
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

For starters, clear comes in gloss and matte. You can choose either ontop of the base coat...

On Powders, they easily make like 6500+ colors....
I simply mentioned there is more than just gloss black, matte black or silver....as some PC will prefer to just sell you what powder they may have on hand. It may cost a smidge more if they need to order the color you may want and it's not on hand
Appreciate 0