BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-07-2022, 09:33 PM   #1
GroundLoop
Rep
Drives: Many

3 year factory warranty void if you do maintenance yourself?

Just picked up our x5 45e. As we were doing the financing the guy presented us with the 8 year warranty for $4000. Said if you only have the factory 4 year warranty ALL work must be done at a BMW dealer but if you purchase the extended warranty then you can do maintenance work yourself - like a brake job. He mentioned a brake job on this car is around $3000. We have NEVER had any of our cars at a dealership for repairs other than warranty work. I do all the work and stuff I do not know how to do I have friends that can help.

Had to make a decision today. Tomorrow the 8 year warranty went to $5600. I know these cars can be crazy expensive to fix. We always keep cars for a long time so we went ahead and purchased the warranty.

Is all of the things he mentioned here true? Or am I making a call to the dealer and corporate tomorrow?
82 DeLorean (Buick turbo transplant)
and many more.

Last edited by GroundLoop; 12-08-2022 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 10:24 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Absolutely false and actually against Federal regulations to insist on work being done at the dealership in order to have a warranty. Go in to tomorrow and cancel it and make sure you post this dishonesty on their social media (after you get your refund of course).

If in the future you feel you need an extended warranty (called an extended service contract) you can buy it at any time from any dealer up until the new vehicle warranty runs out. It will also be quite a bit less than n what they charged you.
      12-07-2022, 10:32 PM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Should also mention that the factory warranty is four years and not three.

Might as well post the dealer so we know who to avoid.
leightos188.50
Artdnj394.00
      12-08-2022, 05:12 AM   #4
gqxxflip
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundLoop View Post
Just picked up our x5 45e. As we were doing the financing the guy presented us with the 8 year warranty for $4000. Said if you only have the factory 3 year warranty ALL work must be done at a BMW dealer but if you purchase the extended warranty then you can do maintenance work yourself - like a brake job. He mentioned a brake job on this car is around $3000. We have NEVER had any of our cars at a dealership for repairs other than warranty work. I do all the work and stuff I do not know how to do I have friends that can help.

Had to make a decision today. Tomorrow the 8 year warranty went to $5600. I know these cars can be crazy expensive to fix. We always keep cars for a long time so we went ahead and purchased the warranty.

Is all of the things he mentioned here true? Or am I making a call to the dealer and corporate tomorrow?

All new BMWs come with a 3 year/36k mile no cost schedule maintenance. That is probably what the finance guy is talking about. For the first 3 years it won’t cost you anything to get your oil changed (so as long as the car states you need one). If you wanted to get an oil change prior to your car saying you need one then that’ll be out of pocket.
There are a lot of other exclusions as well with this maintenance such as gasoline, gasoline additives, windshield washer fluid, fluid top-offs, battery, tires, wheels and wheel alignment, and wear-and-tear items such as brake pads, brake rotors, wiper blades, clutches and tire balancing that will all come out of pocket to you. However, if you buy what the F&I guy is selling (probably called the BMW Ultimate Care + 4 bundle) you’ll be able to add replacement of specific wear-and-tear items such as brake pads, wiper blades and manual transmission clutch on top of getting oil changes done for a total of 7 years not 8 (or 125k miles whichever comes first. You can buy the ultimate care bundle up to a max of 4 additional years that adds onto the initial 3 years.
For maintenance if you ask me if it’s worth the cost IMO no. How many times are you going to replace your pads or rotors? If you buy the max 4 yr one to cover you a total of 7 years are you going to replace it enough times within the 7 yr/125k mile timeframe to make it worth it?

Next up is the 4 year/50k mile limited warranty that TB also mentioned. This covers mechanical/electrical related breakdowns (your new vehicle was delivered with a warranty booklet. Read it to get an exact idea on what’s covered and what isn’t covered). Before the first 4 years is up you could get 3rd party warranty coverage or reach out to GOLFFRR from Steve Thomas BMW to get a quote. Make sure to read the exclusions to check what’s covered.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10821.50
      12-08-2022, 09:12 AM   #5
GroundLoop
Rep

I edited the original post to 4 years. That is what he said. That is my mistake. But what I did not put in the original post is that he said the factory 4 year warranty was not a true bumper to bumper but the extended warranty is. Minus of course maintenance things.

I guess that is the real question for me - what does the 4 year factory warranty cover. I have been on the BMW site and it mentions things like "If your BMW experiences a problem with its engine, transmission/transaxle, transfer case, or drivetrain within the first four years or 50,000 miles, you’ll also be covered with the Powertrain Warranty, which is part of the factory warranty." To me that is not bumper to bumper. So for example, if the rotary dial on the center console broke within 4 years, would that be covered with the factory warranty?
and many more.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 09:13 AM   #6
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqxxflip View Post
All new BMWs come with a 3 year/36k mile no cost schedule maintenance. That is probably what the finance guy is talking about. .....

Unfortunately you misunderstood his post. The finance manager was not referring to Ultimate Care but rather lying to him to pressure him into buying the Extended Service contract.
      12-08-2022, 09:17 AM   #7
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I edited the original post to 4 years. That is what he said. That is my mistake. But what I did not put in the original post is that he said the factory 4 year warranty was not a true bumper to bumper but the extended warranty is. Minus of course maintenance things.

I guess that is the real question for me - what does the 4 year factory warranty cover. I have been on the BMW site and it mentions things like "If your BMW experiences a problem with its engine, transmission/transaxle, transfer case, or drivetrain within the first four years or 50,000 miles, you’ll also be covered with the Powertrain Warranty, which is part of the factory warranty." To me that is not bumper to bumper. So for example, if the rotary dial on the center console broke within 4 years, would that be covered with the factory warranty?
More lies, it is the exact opposite. The new vehicle warranty is bumper to bumper, the Extended Service contract is not. You also mentioned you purchased an 8 year extended warranty, BMW does not offer those so you bought a third party which can be useless. Also, extended warranties do not start until the original new vehicle warranty runs out so another lie. Please go there today and get your money back and notify your state dealer board, get this guy fired.
      12-08-2022, 09:25 AM   #8
GroundLoop
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
You also mentioned you purchased an 8 year extended warranty....
Should have been more clear. It is 4 more years for a total of 8 years. Sorry for the confusion.
and many more.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 09:25 AM   #9
Shllshck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i GC, 2023 X6 40i

Quote:
Just picked up our x5 45e. As we were doing the financing the guy presented us with the 8 year warranty for $4000. Said if you only have the factory 4 year warranty ALL work must be done at a BMW dealer but if you purchase the extended warranty then you can do maintenance work yourself - like a brake job. He mentioned a brake job on this car is around $3000. We have NEVER had any of our cars at a dealership for repairs other than warranty work. I do all the work and stuff I do not know how to do I have friends that can help.

Sadly, you got the high pressure, fear tactic Finance Manager. (Which seems like the trait of many of them.) Mine was the same. My X6 was my 3rd BMW. I knew what to expect and did plenty of research on what was going to be thrown my way, Windshield Replacement, Tire and Wheel Package, Interior/Exterior protection, Extended Service Contract, Ultimate Care…

Whenever they lead off with costly repairs, very sophisticated technology… I already know what’s coming. Unfortunately you fell for the price going up the next day BS. TurtleBoy has some great advice. Even if you want the Extended Service Contract for peace of mind, you should be able to cancel with them and order from someone who isn’t being sleazy. When you cancel, I bet they throw at you “well you can’t reinstate or order the extended service contract again”.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 09:29 AM   #10
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Should have been more clear. It is 4 more years for a total of 8 years. Sorry for the confusion.
Yes, I understood that but there is no such thing offered by BMW.
      12-08-2022, 09:51 AM   #11
GroundLoop
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shllshck View Post
Sadly, you got the high pressure, fear tactic Finance Manager. (Which seems like the trait of many of them.) Mine was the same. My X6 was my 3rd BMW. I knew what to expect and did plenty of research on what was going to be thrown my way, Windshield Replacement, Tire and Wheel Package, Interior/Exterior protection, Extended Service Contract, Ultimate Care…
Yes, this was our first new car is 16 years. Definitely going back there tonight. I told my wife when we first saw this guy I had a bad feeling. Everybody else there was great.
and many more.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 12:52 PM   #12
TroubleClef
United_States
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Absolutely false and actually against Federal regulations to insist on work being done at the dealership in order to have a warranty. Go in to tomorrow and cancel it and make sure you post this dishonesty on their social media (after you get your refund of course).

If in the future you feel you need an extended warranty (called an extended service contract) you can buy it at any time from any dealer up until the new vehicle warranty runs out. It will also be quite a bit less than n what they charged you.
Although it's been stated above a few times, I wholly agree with the points that TurtleBoy made. There are regulations and protections in place for the consumer which really highlights the dishonesty by the finance manager.

Good on you to trust your instincts when you sensed something fishy going on!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 10:24 PM   #13
E91toG05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Did you get out of it?
Appreciate 0